306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Aggravating idling rattle
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Started at the Coventry meet in December but then it stopped so i just assumed it sorted itself out, but no, its back and louder :evil:

It only rattle when im not touching the throttle but if i slightly push down the rattle gets worse then stops, it also sounds like its coming from driver side in the middle.

I jacked the car up and had a look but i couldnt seem the find it as it mysteriously stopped while it was jacked up? ninja

Any help would be nice because the rattle is annoying as hell :violin:

Cheers Smile
What does it sound like? Metal noise or plastic?
definately metal
Dropped any tools in the engine bay while working on it? lol
Dan! Wrote:Dropped any tools in the engine bay while working on it? lol

Not to my knowledge lol

My original thought was that my de cat pipe could be loose, but other people at college think its a heat sheild
try the heat shield that clips onto the power steering ram directly under the exhaust, that or there is a metal heat shield covering the sender for the speedo on the gearbox IIRC
There's also the heatshield for the exhaust where it goes into the exhaust tunnel. These aren't fixed very well
Engine mounts could be starting to show signs of wear?
Engine mounts need changing anyway =/

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express
Roughly had the same thing but it was the exhaust clamps.. Wen idling they just rattled around soon as u rev it would stop.. Tightened them up rattle gone
Mine is doing this at the moment, it's the exhaust. It's snapped clean off the backbox but it's still a pipe inside a pipe, so it's rattling around at idle. It's fine at higher revs though so could be the same issue. It's worth a look.
Id try the engine mounts to be fair!
i checked it when i was round sorting his shorting problem, its the exhaust spring, it wasnt done up tight enought and isnt keeping tension on the spring, so rattling
Sorted now?
Foxy-jim Wrote:Sorted now?
only said i found it, didnt say i fixed it Big Grin
Haha fair enough.