306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: k16 turbo
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
hi folks, just a quick question to see if anyone has used a kkk k16 on an xud if so what is it capable of, just picked one up for peanuts and fitting is pretty easy too, the stock k14 elbow bolts straight up Smile
this one is from a rover 2.5 tdi i think, I am only looking for a reliable 140-150 hp, i know a t2/k14 can run to 130-140 but dont think it would last very long at that pressure.
anyhow had a quick measure up, its fully mounted to the k14 manifold in the pics..

k14 ind wheel 35mm - 50mm at base
k16 ind wheel 37mm - 55mm at base, hot side is bigger too..
I looked into it...its similar to the td04 I believe in size and potential...going on when I asked and the turbo maps
Yeah, shouldnt be too bad to be fair, only thing is that hotside is going to probably make it boost quite late in the RPMs... It'll do what youre asking, but when you inevitably get bored of that power, it'll struggle... But they're quite strong tbf..
(03-03-2013, 07:27 PM)Ruan Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, shouldnt be too bad to be fair, only thing is that hotside is going to probably make it boost quite late in the RPMs... It'll do what youre asking, but when you inevitably get bored of that power, it'll struggle... But they're quite strong tbf..

thats good news ruan, what sort of rpm do you reckon much later than a k14 or similar to the td04. I went on the fact that because it is a diesel hot side, should spool bit quicker than td04 but it was just a punt lol
Yeh, between a TD04 and the K14, but shouldnt be too bad no, can think of a lot worse!!
(03-03-2013, 08:55 PM)Ruan Wrote: [ -> ]Yeh, between a TD04 and the K14, but shouldnt be too bad no, can think of a lot worse!!

ok cool, defo worth a go then. just another quick question do you know if my t2 oil feed adapter will screw into the k16 looks the same thread as the k14, cheers again for the advice fellas Smile
Well done for trying something different. Smile

The T2/K14 lines are identical so if the K14 & K14 threads look the same then you should be fine.

In fact all GT15,T2,K03,K14 oil feeds are interchangable but you need to swap over the connecter piece that sits in the turbo, also you might need to bend/adapt the line.

But yeah, as said T2/K14 is the same mate.
(04-03-2013, 12:34 PM)silverzx Wrote: [ -> ]Well done for trying something different. Smile

The T2/K14 lines are identical so if the K14 & K14 threads look the same then you should be fine.

In fact all GT15,T2,K03,K14 oil feeds are interchangable but you need to swap over the connecter piece that sits in the turbo, also you might need to bend/adapt the line.

But yeah, as said T2/K14 is the same mate.

Cheers mate Smile the line looks good then, it do look identical threads to the k14 but I ain't got one to try as its on my t2. Thanks for the heads up dude!!
Bit of useless info as it doesn't really help with whether or not it's a good turbo, but it's definitely not off a Rover 25 TD, they all had GT1549's.

Bollocks, just realised you said Rover 2.5 rather than Rover 25.
lol easy mistake dude, they are fitted to the rover 825 tdi and maybe more??
ok just thinking of flowing the k14 elbow out to the mark you can see in the pic, but what the hell does the little flat fin in the middle do Confused Do i need to keep this or can it go.,, only thing i can think it does is break up the spinning exhaust gases, but i may be talking absolute sh#t lol
Definitely get rid of that divider thing and open the elbow as much as you can, I did and it was a pretty big difference.
(04-03-2013, 09:39 PM)con67 Wrote: [ -> ]Definitely get rid of that divider thing and open the elbow as much as you can, I did and it was a pretty big difference.

ok will get rid if its not important, still puzzled as to what it does though Undecided anyone know!!
Interesting build. I wonder how it compares to the K04 on mine. Oh and that divider I think it there for a restriction.
(04-03-2013, 09:39 PM)con67 Wrote: [ -> ]Definitely get rid of that divider thing and open the elbow as much as you can, I did and it was a pretty big difference.

+1 for this, cut it out and open it up as much as you can Smile
(04-03-2013, 10:41 PM)strictly_derv Wrote: [ -> ]Interesting build. I wonder how it compares to the K04 on mine. Oh and that divider I think it there for a restriction.

thanks mate, though i think your k04 would be more efficient than a k16 as its more modern boost compared to mine, did look into one but they demand a good price. mainly because the audi/vw boys want them too!! love the look on your 205 mate Inlove
Think the centre fin in the appature is to help with airflow, reduces turbulence and increases the efficiency of the outlet. I could be wrong but i cant see them putting it in there to restrict as they would just make a casting with a smaller outlet for that as it'd be cheaper to do.
Ok so ground out the elbow yesterday after some digging on the net found it do indeed help flow so left it in, also decided to flow the entry on the turbo while I was there as it had quite a step!! should be fitting this very soon with a bit of luck, but got the mot soon so need to get the usual done bottom arms etc...
Mmm, flow for 92bhp, i'd have cut it out tbh.
(08-03-2013, 03:30 PM)con67 Wrote: [ -> ]Mmm, flow for 92bhp, i'd have cut it out tbh.

well they must have put it there for a reason, makes the casting more awkward to produce, costly way of doing something pointless. google it....
What have you used to bore it out? Looks a fairly tidy job.
Die grinder i reckon. My dremel isnt manly enough for a neat job like that. Then again mines shit :/
yep, air die grinder with rotary burr. made short work of it, but had to take care on the turbo though... finished the turbo with 240 wet n dry after to remove the cutting marks.
(08-03-2013, 07:24 PM)billing5 Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-03-2013, 03:30 PM)con67 Wrote: [ -> ]Mmm, flow for 92bhp, i'd have cut it out tbh.

well they must have put it there for a reason, makes the casting more awkward to produce, costly way of doing something pointless. google it....
I dont need to google it, I drove my car every day for ages with the standard hotside and elbow, then drove it with it bored out and minus the divider with virtually no other changes, it was much better. I'm *not* edit lol trying to say your wrong and I'm right or what ever, just sharing my own experience, I too diyed a bigger k14 on to mine ya see....
[Image: K14elbow.jpg]
It dosent take a degree in fluid mechanics to work out what would be better here, just look at any other exhaust off any other high performance turbo!
Seriously worth making a better down pipe, I wish I had for mine now. You could get a 2.5 inch mandrel bend on that housing easily!

[Image: IMG_02091_zps133c800e.jpg]
Im with Con67 here. Ive actually just done the same to my K14 elbow now as well for going onto my TD04 turbo. It would make sense to make as much flow as possible for a bigger turbo. Well i will see the results when i get it put on later.
Sense doesn't actually factor into it with French engineering! They probably just saw a pretty picture in the penguin book of turbos and thought it was a good idea.

Joking aside though, I will agree with you lads on these turbos but on a higher flowing turbo the fin is there to guide the air and reduce turbulence... Without doing a lot of maths it's difficult to prove but it is right :-)
hi guyes quick question what bigger turbo will fit my 306 d turbowhich is a phase 1 and bosch pump and my xantia d turbo same engine but i think it has a smaller turbo looks like its got a heat sink on it hahaha ow and its semi ecu bosch aswell ?? sorry i mean bolt straight on to them
(14-03-2013, 06:56 PM)sparkyboi001 Wrote: [ -> ]hi guyes quick question what bigger turbo will fit my 306 d turbowhich is a phase 1 and bosch pump and my xantia d turbo same engine but i think it has a smaller turbo looks like its got a heat sink on it hahaha ow and its semi ecu bosch aswell ?? sorry i mean bolt straight on to them
There is no big turbo that will bolt straight on, you have to do a little work like at the very least buy adapters or make stuff up yourself.
(14-03-2013, 06:56 PM)sparkyboi001 Wrote: [ -> ]hi guyes quick question what bigger turbo will fit my 306 d turbowhich is a phase 1 and bosch pump and my xantia d turbo same engine but i think it has a smaller turbo looks like its got a heat sink on it hahaha ow and its semi ecu bosch aswell ?? sorry i mean bolt straight on to them

There's a turbo off the new Koenigsegg which is a straight fit.
Pages: 1 2