306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: is it tuned or not
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
ok, so i have just bought my first 306 td, and i really love it , its the sport spec with mountains of service history, totaly standard, done 130000 miles and it drives like new, for the age i really cant believe how good of condition it is, however there is just something playing on my mind, it has a derve doctor optimization receipt and derve doctor sticker in back window, it pulls very well however i think considering it was tuned by derve doctor i feel it should have just a bit more go, any ideas guys, dont get me wrong it does go, but not as well as what i would exspect, it was tuned in 2006, so do you guys think it may need a new tune up, it has been serviced pretty much every 3 months too, so it has really really been looked after
I wonder how much derv doctor ripped them off for that! Basically a free tune!

Best bet would be to get a boost gauge fitted first to see what it's boosting.

14psi is standard, seeing that will give you a good starting point to tuning it more. Have a read up of threads on here because its definitely been covered before!

Have fun!
^^^ what he said, no way of telling until you get a boost gauge plumbed in
yeah, was thinking that after 7 years since it was done it may need a fresh tune as the engines wears, just waiting for the boost gauge to arrive so i can check up, they paid £120 according to the receipt, it doesnt smoke at all, so maybe a touch more fuel

dont get me wrong it has more poke than most 306 td's, smoked a mondea tdci 130 yesterday,
Easiest way to check is to get it on a dyno, theres a dyno day in the meets section on the 2nd of feb, think its £25 a car.

Its in the south west, andover/winchester sort of way IIRC
the derv doctor is onto a winner. if your handy with a 13mm socket and a screwdriver you could follow suit and make a fortune parting fools with their money haha
There should be an anti tamper seal on the pump if its not been played with.
If its a bosch pump theres a collar on the max fuel screw on the right hand side of the pump.

If its a lucas check the plastic cap on the bottom of tge pump towards the front.
If that has marks in it then you know its been opened
i am more than aware it has been played with by the derve doctor, yeah the seal has been broken, its a quick motor, but i think it should be faster if the derve doctor has played with it, pulls really well in 2nd and extremly well in 3rd, but first is really just boring and what i would exspect of a standard 306, in fact i think my partners old 306 td was more responsive in first and that was very basic with the seal on the pump, 4th is plain boring and 5th is ok between 80 and 90
(27-01-2013, 07:05 PM)spawno88 Wrote: [ -> ]i am more than aware it has been played with by the derve doctor, yeah the seal has been broken, its a quick motor, but i think it should be faster if the derve doctor has played with it, pulls really well in 2nd and extremly well in 3rd, but first is really just boring and what i would exspect of a standard 306, in fact i think my partners old 306 td was more responsive in first and that was very basic with the seal on the pump, 4th is plain boring and 5th is ok between 80 and 90

Sorry didnt read the entire thread the title says 'is it tuned or not'?
Things have come on a lot in 6 years mate and the derv doctor has always been known as a bit of a bodge artist at best so if thats what your asking then yes there is a lot more potential for further tuning.
Have a scout around on here, theres loads of guides and videos on stage 1 tuning.
best just wait till i get my boost gauge
I think first port of call has to be determine which fuel pump you're running, then better advice can be given regarding tuning it up some more. Smile
Lucas

[Image: A0FDF823-CEF3-4629-836F-D112CA2BF252-538...53AD8C.jpg]

Bosch

[Image: 762F015A-8814-4B7F-AB19-F84B9C4E1BA4-538...88240D.jpg]
You couldnt find any smaller pics then? lol
(27-01-2013, 10:04 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: [ -> ]You couldnt find any smaller pics then? lol

Im on my phone mate, they all look the same size until I post them!
Haha f*ck it you can zoom
The Dragoon came on a Lucas with a derv doctor tune, got it changed for a Bosch last year and was told that all he does it turn the fuel up. Turbo was only on 14psi.
Worth knowing. Thanks for that. It has the Lucas pump
i'd tune it for you since i'm only down the road but i don't do Lucas . . . lol
It's not difficult!

Just don't drop the cap down the engine and loose it the first time you give it a go.

Had to go and get one from a scrapyard!
OK. So I finaly managed to get the boost gauge hooked up and I'm boosting just short of 16 psi. Checked for any boost leaks and all good. So I reckon I have a shite derve doctor tune going on like you guys say. So where to go from here. Should I play on the tune I have or follow a guide from scratch??
(03-03-2013, 08:34 PM)spawno88 Wrote: [ -> ]OK. So I finaly managed to get the boost gauge hooked up and I'm boosting just short of 16 psi. Checked for any boost leaks and all good. So I reckon I have a shite derve doctor tune going on like you guys say. So where to go from here. Should I play on the tune I have or follow a guide from scratch??
Follow a guide or watch Darren's videos on youtube
have a look through the guides section, im sure theres some in there for tuning the lucas. Failing that have a look for tuning on google and youtube, darrenjlobb has done tuning guides for both pumps and jp did a massive write up on tuning the lucas pump on the tdocuk website, made a big difference to mine. Its not difficult to do, just make sure you dont lose/damage the cap on the pump as its a pita to get a new 1 at short notice!
Right so been a while but got the boost gauge on and its boosting 18. Looked at the turbo and its wound right the way up is ie no more thread left. No boost leaks and its smokes a very tiny bit. So I'm guessing more fuel is the only way I'm getting more power without a Bosch or bigger turbo ?
if you're wanting to be playing around with it and what not, I would fit a bosch pump, so much more potential
If the turbo is all the way up and your only getting 18 psi you need more fuel, I can tune it you if your struggling I'm only in rotherham
I probably will. But in the mean time I would like to get a bit more from it
As others have said if your planning on tuning it you really need a Bosch there is one for sale on here, also they have the capability if running pure veg
If the turbo wound right in the lucus should see 22 psi if the fuelling is set up properly, let danny have a fiddle for you he should be able to get a lot more out of it, enough to keep you happy for a few months
Unless you have a boost leak, then it wont go very high, worth bearing that in mind when tuning :p
My brother in laws wouldn't get above 18psi no boost leaks or anything, just Lucas crap (and maybe my crap Lucas knowledge but couldn't see what else to do)