white smoke and smell oil burning

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
white smoke and smell oil burning
Car emits white smoke on start up and acceleration. would a compression test be first port of call? Is this a sign the piston rings need changing. No oil in water/ water in oil, no loss of performance could it be valve seal. Its a 306 1.6 xs-s phase 1.
Thanks given by:
Are you absolutely sure its white smoke and not steam? I'd more than likely go for the headgasket failing. TUs dont seem to mix oil and water, more often the exhaust is getting into the coolant, pressurising the rad hoses and burning coolant. This happened on two of mine and there was a lot of white steam...until eventually one of the rad hoses exploded.

Oil burning is usually blue smoke when piston rings wear.

Personally I'd see if the rad hoses get solid after a quick drive and have a sniff test done on the coolant. If theyre not solid and the sniff test shows nothing, then try a compression test.
Thanks given by:
I agree with Tom if it is smoke it'd surggest head gasket failure, not trying to copy Tom but the TU engines have a tendancy to go in a way which could be described as a head going not completely failed.

Check if the coolant system is loosing water and pressurising on start up/ within a very short time of start up or garages round here charge £20-30 to pressure test the coolant system and do a sniffer test it might be worth giving a few a call.
Thanks given by:
need to be sure its smoke though...alot of people get smoke and steam mixed up and they are obviously both vitally different! peugeots seem to be very steamy on first start especially when it starts getting cold which it is at the moment!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
is it smoke? is it steam? easy way to find out!

start it up, hold a piece of paper roughly 2 inches away from the exhaust. if its smoke you wont see anything and if its steam you will see moisture in the paper!
Stealth 3door Dturbo - In progress
http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak...6076_n.jpg
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  smell of exhaust fumes in the cab pugjohn306 7 2,959 24-08-2013, 07:37 PM
Last Post: Bender