Server Crash

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Server Crash
Hi All.  Just to let you know that Fooby (who manages the server the site sits on) has confirmed it crashed recently.  Unfortunately the latest backup he was able to restore dated back to late 2022.  There hadn't been a huge number of posts in the intervening period but clearly some have been lost.  Apologies to those that have lost posts.  This is still an amazing archive of information for 306 owners though Smile .
Thanks given by: Martin306
(22-11-2023, 11:51 AM)Mighty306 Wrote: Hi All.  Just to let you know that Fooby (who manages the server the site sits on) has confirmed it crashed recently.  Unfortunately the latest backup he was able to restore dated back to late 2022.  There hadn't been a huge number of posts in the intervening period but clearly some have been lost.  Apologies to those that have lost posts.  This is still an amazing archive of information for 306 owners though Smile .

Nooooooooo my thousands of posts of 2023 are gone!  Blush

One day, hopefully the NPC's will become self aware and come back to forums though.

We had a horrendous loss on the mightycarmods forums around late 2017. almost 5 years worth gone, 5 WHOLE years, and it was still fairly active at that point. Someone erased the backups... so theres a big gap between 2013-2017.
A moments silence please, for our brothers in the NAD-zone.
Thanks given by:
(23-11-2023, 10:29 PM)Martin306 Wrote:
(22-11-2023, 11:51 AM)Mighty306 Wrote: Hi All.  Just to let you know that Fooby (who manages the server the site sits on) has confirmed it crashed recently.  Unfortunately the latest backup he was able to restore dated back to late 2022.  There hadn't been a huge number of posts in the intervening period but clearly some have been lost.  Apologies to those that have lost posts.  This is still an amazing archive of information for 306 owners though Smile .

"Nooooooooo my thousands of posts of 2023 are gone!  Blush"

Rofl Rofl  Rofl Rofl  Rofl

"We had a horrendous loss on the mightycarmods forums around late 2017. almost 5 years worth gone, 5 WHOLE years, and it was still fairly active at that point. Someone erased the backups... so theres a big gap between 2013-2017."

Oh heck, that is bad!!  Confused
Thanks given by:
this was entirely my fault (for lack of backup).

I actually probably still have access to the data to restore it, but its such a ballache process i actually cant be bothered.

I had a server failure and my procedures were very lackluster given the mantra, a mechanics car is never fixed. Well my server rack is never setup properly. Despite having multiple servers, that could easily have done failover etc. None of it configured as "i'd get round to it"

But i've bought £600 of server parts and going to upgrade all the servers, setup proper high availability and also put a dedicated backup server in place. Overkill yes. but frustrating when its more effort to recover the data.

Sorry anyone!
Team - Inappropriate Footwear. Member 1 of 3.

1. Fooby's Car
2. Fooby's Hire Car(s)
3. Fooby's Company Pool Car

Team Self Improvement
1. Learn to Car
Thanks given by:
Wow, that's true commitment.  Long live the 306OC, even if it's just as an archive of info!

I've been wondering about a way to allow new members again.  Set up an email address that people have to contact & then use admin priviledges to set up an account on their behalf?

Also, is any fundraising required to keep the site going?  The server upgrade spend hasn't come out of your own pocket I hope?
Thanks given by:
(02-12-2023, 01:27 PM)Mighty306 Wrote: Wow, that's true commitment.  Long live the 306OC, even if it's just as an archive of info!

I've been wondering about a way to allow new members again.  Set up an email address that people have to contact & then use admin priviledges to set up an account on their behalf?

Also, is any fundraising required to keep the site going?  The server upgrade spend hasn't come out of your own pocket I hope?

Of course it has, where else is it gonna come from?

As has the years of hosting and running etc. Its all good though Smile

All the upgrades are done (bar the remaining CPU upgrade on the existing host) just need to re-rack the 2 upgrades servers tomorrow and then setup the cluster and backups etc, then can replace the existing hosts CPUs and be good.

Then i'm going to replace the router with something more reliable (its not broke yet, but just be my luck it does).
Team - Inappropriate Footwear. Member 1 of 3.

1. Fooby's Car
2. Fooby's Hire Car(s)
3. Fooby's Company Pool Car

Team Self Improvement
1. Learn to Car
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Car insurence after non fault crash! P-Courty 10 2,096 14-10-2017, 01:33 PM
Last Post: P-Courty
  Prescott Hill Crash - S/C Lotus Exige leaves track, lands in next field. Dum-Dum 29 10,629 09-09-2015, 11:53 AM
Last Post: 1616six
  106 Rally Crash Eeyore 13 2,928 22-05-2014, 08:53 PM
Last Post: procta