Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quick possible diagnostic anyone?
OK - So this is delayed a bit! We motored on for a while adapting our driving style to the car - the Skoda had come off the road at this stage so no alternative (uninsured) car to take instead - and the perfect storm blew up.

The starter motor began to give trouble - meaning that the car could cut out and potentially be unstartable without a push! Hurray!

The final straw came when it cut out while someone was going over a zebra crossing, family+groceries inside, slight incline, several cars behind, the starter wouldn´t turn cos it was hot/wrecked, 30minutes walk from home... you get the picture.

After causing minor traffic disruption and with the help of the drivers behind, we got it parked. I called the flatbed using a very useful basic feature of all Spanish car insurance - free recovery. The car was trailered to a workshop where I´ve had some stuff done on it before and was left there. It was late Saturday afternoon in July and the place was closed.

We got a neighbour to collect the wife and kids and I later walked the shopping home separately - arms and shoulders aching...

On Sunday, I took the kids round by the workshop during a run to a nearby park. My older boy wanted to know what the problem was so I took the keys - and the feckin thing started first turn of said key! Clearly we had a problem and - all sense being cast to one side - I drove them home and we continued to use the car (parked facing downwards) until early August - when it went back to the garage for a starter and stepper motor.

I have no money so they didn´t replace the stepper motor - just cleaned it - and they put in a ´bargain´ starter motor - total bill E160. At least when it stops I can start it now!

The stepper motor is not adequate and the same issues continue. I believe the only replacement to get is the Magnetti Marelli one? I want to hand it to the workshop to fit. Would that be correct?

I am fed up with the cold start revving behaviour, hesitation, unreliable pull-away, overrevving, sticking throttle, engine light and overheating!!!

How can one small part cause such a carry on!!??
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Quick possible diagnostic anyone? - by PaulOH - 03-05-2017, 08:51 AM
RE: Quick possible diagnostic anyone? - by PaulOH - 03-05-2017, 01:56 PM
RE: Quick possible diagnostic anyone? - by PaulOH - 21-05-2017, 10:58 AM
RE: Quick possible diagnostic anyone? - by PaulOH - 30-08-2017, 01:10 AM
RE: Quick possible diagnostic anyone? - by PaulOH - 06-03-2018, 07:55 PM
RE: Quick possible diagnostic anyone? - by PaulOH - 07-03-2018, 02:47 PM
RE: Quick possible diagnostic anyone? - by Nexus - 09-03-2018, 12:02 AM
RE: Quick possible diagnostic anyone? - by PaulOH - 09-03-2018, 10:13 AM
RE: Quick possible diagnostic anyone? - by PaulOH - 09-03-2018, 08:25 PM
RE: Quick possible diagnostic anyone? - by PaulOH - 03-06-2018, 02:29 PM