Citroen zx volcane 3 door

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Citroen zx volcane 3 door
So I thought I'd stick a project thread up for this, as a few have seen I've bought a 3 door zx volcane. I went to look at it first time round did a deal handing cash over and come to find out its a write off! After the advice off a few guys on here I still decided to go for it. 

So I've now got it home and there's a long list of issues to work though.

Leaking bosch pump
Central locking doesn't work 
Rear window seals leak 
Crack in front bumper
Missing towing eye cover 
Paint chip on rear quater  (about size of my finger nail) 
Drivers side seat very very stiff move
Radio wiring is dodgy.
When I brake a warning light comes on. 

So plenty to be working on! 

Here's how the car looks now it's home. 

And here's the service history 

Comments welcome

Thanks given by:
Not sure how that was a write off. It looks great! Big Grin Do you know how it was meant to be damaged?
Thanks given by:
I don't, I had a quick flick though the history and can't find any thing in there about it, it did have a near full respray list year tho.

Here's the last guys project thread here
http://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=34541

I've been doing some work on it today, looking at the central locking, I found some after market wiring but no control box, so I looked for the central locking module but it was missing, wipped the one off my saxo fitted that and it was just clicking but not doing the locking so I chased the wires back abit to find they had been cut to attach to the after market wiring, so reconnected them and hey presto working central locking Big Grin so I just need to find a control module for it (so I can put the saxo one back) and that's one job off the list.

I have ordered a ir remote and matching receiver so hopefully I can get it working by remote. Also ordered a brand new genuine towing eye cover.

I've spoken to darrenjlobb about re sealing the pump so I just need to wip that off and get it posted out to him.

Thanks given by:
Sounds like a good bit of tidying up and it will be a lovely car Smile

Too me, if you cant tell it was a write off with an experienced eye then its no issue buying it!

Please keep this one long enough to bring to FCS! its nice to see a few more ZX's being appreciated these days Smile
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
looks very tidy
Thanks given by:
(28-02-2017, 09:03 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Sounds like a good bit of tidying up and it will be a lovely car Smile

Too me, if you cant tell it was a write off with an experienced eye then its no issue buying it!

Please keep this one long enough to bring to FCS! its nice to see a few more ZX's being appreciated these days Smile

Ha ha can't promise that Wink I'd like to keep this for a while but time will tell I suppose. If I've still got it tho will definitely be at fcs.

(28-02-2017, 09:07 AM)zx_volcane Wrote: looks very tidy

It is very tidy apart from the chip in rear quater and crack in front bumper it's pretty much spotless. But I suspect that's because of the near full respray it's had.

Thanks given by:
Bit of an update for today this arrived in the post this morning. 

Genuine citroen brand new towing eye cover from over seas :Smile

Had a spare half hour so thought I'd look at removing the fuel pump.

Supprising how quick you can pull a pump off when you've done it a few times. So that's now ready to be sent off to lobb land.

As always comments welcome.

Thanks given by:
Where did you get the tow eye cover? Been looking for a front one for a while and cant seem to find one anywhere?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
(01-03-2017, 09:07 AM)NaughtonGAA Wrote: Where did you get the tow eye cover? Been looking for a front one for a while and cant seem to find one anywhere?

Searching over seas eBay pages, I got lucky finding this tho, I know they fall off easily, so becoming rare to find.

Thanks given by:
So another bit of an update for today, I've started painting the towing eye cover, fixed the stereo wiring, ordered many parts off eBay. 

Genuine Peugeot glow plugs
Water temp gauge 
Adapter to fit water temp sensor.
Boost gauge
1 genuine rear window seal (need to find another) 

Today my central locking module turned up so I fitted that and refitted the hand brake cover/plastics.

Also pumps been sent off to darren today.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Few more parts have turned up

So new genuine glow plugs a rear window seal, I need to find another rear window seal if any one knows were I can get one from? I fitted the rear window seal and tested it make sure it was water tight now and it is (drivers side) tested passanger side with hose pipe and it's leaking a small amount. 

The new remote central locking ir receiver and remote turned up fitted the receiver and went to try it and the battery's are flat in the remote so gonna have to get some from the shop some time soon. 

So it's coming along slowly, progress will be slow this coming week as I'm taking my wife to Churchill hospital in Oxford for her transplant assessment. But hopefully the week after I can get cracking. Aim is to get it on the road for 1st of April.

Thanks given by:
So very little has happened this week with the zx, but these gauges arrived to a made a template up to hold them.

Then spent hours trying to get though the bulk head in to car to run pipe/wire for them. Ended up with dash all in bits.

Also fitted the new glow plugs and a new thermostat. The fuel pump arrived back from darren I've filled it full with diesel and it's sat in the car waiting to be fitted. 

That's about if for now. I've bought some arp head studs, and getting some forged rods for it, think I'll buy another engine to build up tho rather than take this one to bits.

Hoping to have a big push this weekend to get the welding done and pump on get it up and running again. I start a new job on the lorry's next week so my time is gonna be very limited to get things done so hoping I can get 90% done this weekend.

Thanks given by:
Few more updates

Had some minor issues with the pump leaking after lots of head scratching and many messages to and from darren I finally found a crack in a cap on the front of the pump.

So I bodged it temporarily with cemical metal on the outside to get it going. Fitted the pump and with some play it runs again. James dropped me a new cap off today so just need to fit it.

Once it was started I attempted to move it and it wouldn't go in to gear when running the clutch was stuck some how. Pushed it on to the road and started it in gear went to change in to second a massive bang and it was free again. 

I've got the gauges wired in and working.

So plan is to get sills welded up tomorrow and get it insured and on the road Monday, just in time for me to use it to get to and from my new job. 

Still plenty of jobs for me to be getting on with as and when I find the time but it's coming along now. 

Comments welcome as always.

Thanks given by:
(01-03-2017, 09:42 AM)Chris_90 Wrote:
(01-03-2017, 09:07 AM)NaughtonGAA Wrote: Where did you get the tow eye cover? Been looking for a front one for a while and cant seem to find one anywhere?

Searching over seas eBay pages, I got lucky finding this tho, I know they fall off easily, so becoming rare to find.

retain with a Dzus fastener?
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
So it was on the road Monday morning 

[Image: 20170320_175333_zps6hhozkdy.jpg]
[Image: 20170320_175350_zpsgatm2ook.jpg]
[Image: 20170320_175256_zpsrcu4rqwx.jpg]
[Image: 20170320_175243_zpslfmtfrht.jpg]

Got plenty to be getting on with tho need to get the side skirts on, sort gear selector out, pump needs playing with still, idle seems to have a mind of its own, but it pulls really well to the point it's slipped the clutch a couple of times. Smokes a fair amount tho need to adjust the boost abit more currently at 21psi.

Thanks given by:
So couple of days ago I tought the clutch cable had snapped peddal had gone right to the floor, was just about to get a new cable when I thought I'd check to make sure I'm getting the right one, when I got under the dashboard I found out that it had unclipped it's self, looks a propa rubbish design tbh. 

The tiny metal clip holds the cable in place, so my mate manged to get it clipped back in and it's good again, but can't help thinking that it's gonna pull out again as there's not much metal there holding it in place with a fair amount of force to move it.

Also been struggling with the idle it seems to raise it's self 250rpm from starting so I've had to set it at 750 rpm at first start (were it's nearly trying to stall) and after a few mins it'll pull up to 1000rpm, it's abit of a pain because I can't just pull the clutch up now I have to rev and pull clutch up to set off if not it trys to stall. kind of like I'm driving a petrol with no anti stall.

Hoping to get side skirts back on this week hopefully. And possibly looking at doing a de-backbox.

Comments welcome.

Thanks given by:
Does idle raise when glow plugs turn off? Sounds like alternator is being loaded. Get multimeter on them and see if the idle rising coincides with them going off after a few mins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Or connect cold start mech and set hot and cold idle

Thanks given by:
now wrong with that design of pedal as long as the fitter knows how to do it, check the two tabs are not bent.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
(27-03-2017, 04:10 PM)zx_volcane Wrote: Does idle raise when glow plugs turn off? Sounds like alternator is being loaded. Get multimeter on them and see if the idle rising coincides with them going off after a few mins.

Or connect cold start mech and set hot and cold idle

Never thought of that to see if something was causing load to drop the revs, good call I'll check that out, it's missing the bracket for the cold start cable but I have thought about that I'll look at finding one and attaching it.

(27-03-2017, 04:27 PM)welshpug Wrote: now wrong with that design of pedal as long as the fitter knows how to do it, check the two tabs are not bent.

Well I bent the clip before refitting it made sure it was a tight fit to make sure it doesn't come off again...... hopefully.

Thanks given by:
Bit of an update

Been doing a fair few miles in this, with out any issues (touch wood) need to get a new radiator fan switch as there not working but when I bypass the switch with a wire they work so hopefully a new switch will sort them.

I've fitted my large flat plate heater and land rover fuel filter just need some more clips to run the fuel lines. It's now on 100% veg and has made it idle much better now. Still could do with cold start cable sorting tho.

Did a back box delete yesterday

[Image: 20170406_104834_zpspnf1s50w.jpg]
[Image: 20170406_125958_zps2hgsqri7.jpg]

I'm amazed at the sound difference, every xud I've done this to always sound different, this is by far the loudest one I've done almost to loud but we will see how I get along with it.

Then I attempted to get the passanger sill cover back on now there all soild again.

[Image: 20170406_125852_zpsf21auplv.jpg]

The high viz/rag are coving the G clamps holding it in place I was worried some one would catch them as walking past.

It's now on needs some adjusting on the front I'm gonna attempt to screw it to the wing to hold it in place better.

Up next will be drivers side sill cover going back on and line up the front bumper better as it's drooping low down near the wings, and get rest of the heated veg set up sorted.

Thanks given by:
Looks really smart. I would also check the rear inner arches for rust if you haven't already. The sills are solid on mine however the rear arches have pretty much disintegrated to the point I've had to buy 2 more cut from a scrap car. One of them had rusted right down to where the seatbelt anchors into the floor.

For the fan switch I bought one of these http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vie...1232327811- it's listed for a non turbo diesel but at about £3.50 posted its worth a punt, better than nowt
Thanks given by:
(07-04-2017, 08:09 PM)dt_ Wrote: Looks really smart. I would also check the rear inner arches for rust if you haven't already. The sills are solid on mine however the rear arches have pretty much disintegrated to the point I've had to buy 2 more cut from a scrap car. One of them had rusted right down to where the seatbelt anchors into the floor.

For the fan switch I bought one of these http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vie...1232327811- it's listed for a non turbo diesel but at about £3.50 posted its worth a punt, better than nowt

I ordered a fan switch off eBay earlier at the cost of 15 quid Undecided never mind tho just be happy to have them working, been stuck in traffic tonight having to have heaters on full wack to stop it over heating not fun when it's hot enough outside.

I'll check the rear arches next time it's up in the air I hope there not bad tho, welding the sills took long enough. Got to sort inner wings out there's a couple of small patches need sorting.

Thanks given by:
Few more little updates, fitted the new radiator fan switch and that got the fans working as they should again. Ordered the bits to sort out the super sloppy gear shift, soild gear linkages and the new selector bit with the rubber ball on as mine is completely missing. Also just ordered a quick shift so proably wait for that to come and fit it all together. 

I've re fitted the drivers side, side skirt now. Also plumed in the heater and landrover fuel filter housing, it's running 10mm fuel pipes after the heater and 8mm to the heater as I planned on running 10mm to the tank but after finding out you have to pull the whole back seat out to get to the tank (sliding rear seat) I've given up on that idea for now.

Comments welcome

Thanks given by:
doesn't the seat base flip up? does on my 16v
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
(14-04-2017, 11:29 AM)welshpug Wrote: doesn't the seat base flip up? does on my 16v

Not sure I tried pulling it up but I've got baby seat in and it's not a split seat so I don't know but felt really soild. I'll try next time I pull baby seat out.

Thanks given by:

Gave it a quick clean today and a couple of coats of wax to protect it. Not come up to bad at all need to get a new rear number plate tho that let's it down a lot.

Thanks given by:
Think I saw you in this yesterday around Lounsley Green mate. Looks real tidy. Mine's still in bits.
Thanks given by:
(16-04-2017, 08:51 PM)399road Wrote: Think I saw you in this yesterday around Lounsley Green mate. Looks real tidy. Mine's still in bits.

I'm always out and about on evenings so you probably did see it. I'd love to see u in the 205 one day for sure wanna see what it goes like.

Thanks given by:
Another little update 

Spent several hours trying to remove this, what an utter ball ache! Not doing one of them again with an engine in the way, but got there in the end, fitted the soild gear linkages to I'm amazed at the difference nice and soild now, just waiting for my quick shift to arrive and I'll get that on. 

[Image: 20170418_130344_zpsmsnwcsku.jpg]

Just as I'd finshed that, mobile tyre guy turned up to fit me 2 new tyres on the front.

[Image: 20170418_132401_zpsp1fwoyuk.jpg]

The other tyres were badly cracked even tho they still had plenty of tread. Also why wheels were off I disconnected the ware sensors and that has stopped my warning light every time I brake not sure why it was coming on as both pads both sides still have plenty of meat on them. 

Slowly getting there, think it's pretty much mechanical fault free now....... (touch wood) 

Comments welcome.

Thanks given by:

Couple of pictures 1 from mfn at the weekend and my quick shift has come I'm yet to fit it tho but might get round to it soon.

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Citroen zx Volcane DT James 69 31,283 22-12-2020, 12:04 PM
Last Post: mr_fish
  Zx volcane td 5 door Danmoy90 5 3,137 17-09-2019, 10:49 PM
Last Post: dt_
  Chris_90's citroen zx volcane The END Chris_90 309 83,804 29-09-2015, 09:00 PM
Last Post: Chris_90