sub £4000 fun car

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sub £4000 fun car
So the love for the volvos is soon to be realised in a different form of car, which leaves me with the want for something mad. realistlcly i can save about 4k for a car and of course im going to change my mind over and over until  the car I get. So this is where you guys come in. although a lot of my life revolves around the PSA group and always will im getting the hanckering for something properly fast. Obviously i can fabricate a few things myself, so building stuffs not an issue. Also zero shits given about practicality or fuel economy. 

can be built or bought but 4k is the budget GO............
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Will probably get shot down here... but if it were me, id spend 2k on a nice fabia VRS TDI, spend the remaining on turbo upgrade etc and hey presto you have 250bhp/350lbft!
Plenty other options, Audi S3 are nice in old shape if you can find one for that money anywhere.
Thanks given by:
yeh i also think that the fabias have a certain something about them. Would be cool to get one properly sorted! I feel like you should have just done the 306 properly.
Thanks given by:
cheap gti6, throttle bodies, cage, dampers, good brake pads.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
(27-05-2016, 09:06 PM)MY95 Wrote: Will probably get shot down here... but if it were me, id spend 2k on a nice fabia VRS TDI, spend the remaining on turbo upgrade etc and hey presto you have 250bhp/350lbft!
Plenty other options, Audi S3 are nice in old shape if you can find one for that money anywhere.

drove loads of fabias. dont like them but i see why some do to be fair 

(27-05-2016, 09:08 PM)Eeyore Wrote: yeh i also think that the fabias have a certain something about them. Would be cool to get one properly sorted! I feel like you should have just done the 306 properly.

yeah i shouldve sone the 306 but my house is sort of more improtant atm. im looking to the futre and dreaming of having a properly fast car. 
(27-05-2016, 09:12 PM)welshpug Wrote: cheap gti6, throttle bodies, cage, dampers, good brake pads.

cant say i havnt considered this to be fair as i already work on them a lot and have a lot of spare parts lying about for them. would be interesting to on my first petrol one but i would feel a little dirty. lol
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks given by:
Dirtier the better fella Smile

If you want mad..... check out Xsikids 6.. High boost on the Lynx Charger kit. Now that stripped, and caged would be a track demon..... Along with replacing the glass for poly, she will be light.

What more could you want for.
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be!

Thanks given by:
(27-05-2016, 09:32 PM)insomaniac45 Wrote: Dirtier the better fella Smile

If you want mad..... check out Xsikids 6.. High boost on the Lynx Charger kit. Now that stripped, and caged would be a track demon..... Along with replacing the glass for poly, she will be light.

Wont get a high boost 6 or even the car and then kit for under 4k though, low boost only just possible really.
Thanks given by:
(27-05-2016, 09:49 PM)MY95 Wrote:

Wont get a high boost 6 or even the car and then kit for under 4k though, low boost only just possible really.

niall sold his for under 3k! its definitely possible! they just dont come up that often!
Thanks given by:
1st decision; fwd or rwd (or 4wd)?
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
Mazda RX-8. 231hp, RWD, high revving and 'different'

Then let me have a go ninja
Thanks given by:
(27-05-2016, 09:55 PM)Eeyore Wrote:
(27-05-2016, 09:49 PM)MY95 Wrote:

niall sold his for under 3k! its definitely possible! they just dont come up that often!
Nialls was closer to a low boost at around 220bhp IIRC, nowhere near a high boost like xsikids, so as said a low boost is possible, but high boost isnt really, especially when prices are only going up at the moment.
Thanks given by:
Niall's car was a lot of fabrication and not a bolt on kit as such
Thanks given by:
I do like the rx8s but they are slow!! Ive drivien loads, seem to weld one or two a month atm. I want fast fast. 300+ hp in a car the size of an rx8 at least lol. I think ive ruined my perception of fast cars due to being lucky enough over the last few years to drive multiple cars above 500 hp. This i think is my problem. My mate has a 700hp mk3 astra for gods sake
Thanks given by:
Have recently been converted to these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000-SUBARU-IM...SwB9xXO58O
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Fun is personal opinion, I honestly have more fun throwing the focus around a b road than I do a '6. Confused

Not sure what I'd buy with 4k though, only been looking with a 1k budget lol.
Thanks given by:
kit car? ninja
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
Saab 9-5

Cheap as chips, plenty of change from 4k to add LOTS of power!
Thanks given by:
(28-05-2016, 09:26 AM)cpikey316_ Wrote: Saab 9-5

Cheap as chips, plenty of change from 4k to add LOTS of power!

Saab 9000 or 900 turbo
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
(28-05-2016, 06:00 AM)bashbarnard Wrote: I do like the rx8s but they are slow!! Ive drivien loads, seem to weld one or two a month atm. I want fast fast. 300+ hp in a car the size of an rx8 at least lol. I think ive ruined my perception of fast cars due to being lucky enough over the last few years to drive multiple cars above 500 hp. This i think is my problem. My mate has a 700hp mk3 astra for gods sake

When you say slow, you mean compared to the others you've mentioned?

It's on my want list and I imagine it is fast but seeing as I've stuck to modded turbo diesels mostly for the last few years I have no idea about NA petrols.
Thanks given by:
I think with the rx8 its more the case that it doesn't feel that fast, they don't produce a huge amount of torque
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Problem with an RX8 is probably the same as any high revving NA petrol? As in you have to be in a low gear and thrashing the nuts off it to feel any pull?
Thanks given by:
you can get a 2.3 hot aero 250 bhp for about a grand, dpend the rest on trying to make it handle and put a stage 1 map on it.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
Stage 3 about 2k ish!

280bhp 440nm

Plus plenty of smiles per gallon!
Thanks given by:
Yeah I be looking at bmw/merc or saab turbos etc

4k buy you a LOT. Buy a nice 200sx etc so many options.

First decide... 2/4/rwd then turbo or non... Etc etc
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
ok, so the 6 is out of the question...

Why not a kit car? Not a caterham 7 wanna be, but something different. I have seen quite a few nice ones on the bay for well under 4k, meaning you have loads of scope for modifications to make it exactly what you want.
Not always Grumpy!!
306 Cabby SE, 2.0l 16v 
To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be!

Thanks given by:
(28-05-2016, 09:55 AM)bigcheez2k3 Wrote:
(28-05-2016, 06:00 AM)bashbarnard Wrote: I do like the rx8s but they are slow!! Ive drivien loads, seem to weld one or two a month atm. I want fast fast. 300+ hp in a car the size of an rx8 at least lol. I think ive ruined my perception of fast cars due to being lucky enough over the last few years to drive multiple cars above 500 hp. This i think is my problem. My mate has a 700hp mk3 astra for gods sake

When you say slow, you mean compared to the others you've mentioned?

It's on my want list and I imagine it is fast but seeing as I've stuck to modded turbo diesels mostly for the last few years I have no idea about NA petrols.

They are fun to drive dont get me wrong but they are slow. what do they have 230 bhp? not enough really for what i want. 
(28-05-2016, 12:42 PM)Piggy Wrote: Yeah I be looking at bmw/merc or saab turbos etc

4k buy you a LOT. Buy a nice 200sx etc so many options.

First decide... 2/4/rwd then turbo or non... Etc etc

I think due to the power levels i would actually be looking at rwd/4wd would be better suited, but again thats my personal opinion 
(28-05-2016, 05:59 PM)insomaniac45 Wrote: ok, so the 6 is out of the question...

Why not a kit car? Not a caterham 7 wanna be, but something different. I have seen quite a few nice ones on the bay for well under 4k, meaning you have loads of scope for modifications to make it exactly what you want.

hmmm i do like the idea of a kit car. super light could have pack a hefty punch id say. ive never ever driven a kit car though. always wondered are they really worth it?

(28-05-2016, 10:58 AM)welshpug Wrote: you can get a 2.3 hot aero 250 bhp for about a grand, dpend the rest on trying to make it handle and put a stage 1 map on it.

thats actually a fair shout tbh they are what i would call fun i look after a few at work for people. i think it would definatly need a touch more power but there would be room left in the budget with that. 

need to start getting my saving pants on really dont I
Thanks given by:
We sold our westfield megablade on a 2006 plate 3 years ago for 10k.. though it had full cage etc

You can buy a gbs kit for 2k ish and then a donor car, easily do able in 4k but take time quicker than 90% of cars on the road to 120mph

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
M3. Just be really careful what you buy.

Something American and V8
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
If it was me for a fun car it would be a glanza. Small, fast and fun
Thanks given by:
When you say a fun car what sort of fun do you want? Do you want a stripped out track slag, do you want to drift or do you want something that is at it's happiest hoofing down b roads

If it were my money it would be buying a better impreza and a remap for nearly 300bhp or a MK Indy R ready built by someone else, preferably with a bike engine. It'll come in under 500kg so you'll happily be able to tow it to any track of your choosing
Thanks given by: