Rover 214si

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rover 214si
The cutting out has returned Sad

Will not cut out while driving normally, but only does it at very low throttle. (usually after sitting at traffic lights for a few minutes, as soon as it goes green...)

Idle goes lumpy then refuses to start again for a couple of minutes... (if it does start it will just about idle at WOT)

Still suspect the injector, can't think of anything else that could cause it?
[Image: signaturerrf_zps1c82612b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
could be the black box next to the ECU as that thing can cause these to run and idle odd.
Thanks given by:
Procta, you might know this.

What might be needed to convert a SPI K16 to MPI? Other than the obvious manifold, injectors, ecu and loom?
Thanks given by:
(12-12-2014, 02:15 PM)tenwierdufos Wrote: Procta, you might know this.

What might be needed to convert a SPI K16 to MPI? Other than the obvious manifold, injectors, ecu and loom?

you going to have a right bother mind getting the bits to mpi this, due to the age.
With it been a wedge shaped rover ( old school)
the ecu,flywheel engine loom is different to the later R200 bubbles Which I would say there are more of them in the scrappies. 

If you can find a later Wedge one like yours, ( with the chrome grill) 
you will need 
manifold
black box
rocker cover
inlet, air box
ecu and alarm system ( not sure if the older ones are coded)
the engine loom
also a fuel pump too, as the mpi fuel pump is 1.5 bar or something more than the spi/

For the f*ck on you will have, sorting parts out I wouldn't even bother for what you will gain,
change the manifold on it to the mpi one and that will make it open it up. 

another thing that can cause these to cut out is this bastard!
[Image: 2014-09-13153453_zpsa78074af.jpg]
Thanks given by: tenwierdufos
Cheers for the info dude Smile

Yeah that does sound like a right bother...

I don't think its the fuel cut out, because sometimes when its playing up you can get it to start/idle strange.

If it will idle with no throttle it will be running so rich that it smokes a little and goes lumpy (touching the thottle will make it REALLY unhappy and it wont rev)
If it will not idle with no throttle WOT and alot of cranking sometimes gets it going, but it will barely idle at that and smells super rich again.

These kind of totally strange issues is why I like diesels haha.
Thanks given by:
check the pipe going to the ecu to the inlet as that might causing bother.
Thanks given by:
(12-12-2014, 02:43 PM)procta Wrote: check the pipe going to the ecu to the inlet as that might causing bother.

Seems fine, connected both ends and not blocked, unless the sensor in the ecu itself is faulty.
Thanks given by:
(12-12-2014, 02:51 PM)tenwierdufos Wrote:
(12-12-2014, 02:43 PM)procta Wrote: check the pipe going to the ecu to the inlet as that might causing bother.

Seems fine, connected both ends and not blocked, unless the sensor in the ecu itself is faulty.

I am trying to think of anything else that would make it act the goat. Only thing is the black box, also the sensor on the water elbow can make them run a bit odd too, as mine was acting up like hell!
change the sensors on the water elbow, with yours been a spi it may have one.

another sensor that can cause problems is the green sensor on the inlet, which is for the injection system.
Thanks given by:
What is the black box you are talking about, the fusebox?

Going to go outside and start pulling wires, see if I can re-create the odd behavior without zapping myself with the HT leads!
Thanks given by:
this its next to the ecu
[Image: 2014-07-02134903_zpsef551254.jpg]

[Image: 2014-07-02134942_zpsa02bcbf4.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Oh right.

Don't seem to have anything like that on this car!

Right so been pulling wires.

Disconnecting..
the injector/fuel pump/crank sensor just cuts right out as I would expect
lambda/air temp/coolant temp makes little difference to running at all
throttle position sensor/map will stop it from revving freely but still idles perfectly fine

Nothing anywhere near as agressive as the running issues that happen around traffic lights :/

Very odd one! Still sticking with the dodgy injector theory, cant seem to find anything else wrong with it.
Thanks given by:
rob a R100 for the injector.
Thanks given by:
Sounds exactly like a sticking injector tbh.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
have you tried running some carb cleaner through it? and even giving the petrol lines a clean with some redx, Just in case its shite petrol pissing it off!
Thanks given by:
(13-12-2014, 09:27 AM)Poodle Wrote: Sounds exactly like a sticking injector tbh.

I am not a fan of single point right now!

(13-12-2014, 01:50 PM)procta Wrote: have you tried running some carb cleaner through it? and even giving the petrol lines a clean with some redx, Just in case its shite petrol pissing it off!

I have tried Redex, which seems to keep it behaving while its in the fuel, but also seems to trash the fuel economy. The stuff seems to take 100 miles off a tank somehow!!

Will see if its possible to get the carb cleaner down it.
Thanks given by:
(13-12-2014, 03:04 PM)tenwierdufos Wrote:
(13-12-2014, 09:27 AM)Poodle Wrote: Sounds exactly like a sticking injector tbh.

I am not a fan of single point right now!

(13-12-2014, 01:50 PM)procta Wrote: have you tried running some carb cleaner through it? and even giving the petrol lines a clean with some redx, Just in case its shite petrol pissing it off!

I have tried Redex, which seems to keep it behaving while its in the fuel, but also seems to trash the fuel economy. The stuff seems to take 100 miles off a tank somehow!!

Will see if its possible to get the carb cleaner down it.

should be, just remove the air filter and then your laughing.
Thanks given by:
SO.

I had a thing turn up in the post today, a complete throttle body from the closest thing to mine that I could find!!! Its actually manufactured in 1988 and is supposed to go on a Rover 820e... :S

New old stock. So clean so clean.

Fitted it and did a little video also of "stuff happening"

However there is a slight issue and possibly some kind of curse on me with this car because while doing the little video the alternator bearing had a funny turn and the alternator snapped off the mount... so, new alternator required now :o

I was hoping that the two throttle bodies would be identical however the throttle is about 5mm bigger on the new one. The car is happy up to about 75% throttle, after that it gets a bit lumpy like it might be on the lean side. Time to do some head scratching on making it richer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOswvWeC...e=youtu.be

[Image: DSC_5493_zpsda5a481e.jpg]
[Image: DSC_5495_zps2283ed2b.jpg]
[Image: DSC_5498_zpsfb09442e.jpg]
[Image: DSC_5500_zpscf2a6214.jpg]
[Image: IMG_2891_zps543e871b.jpg][Image: IMG_2905_zpsadbe28e6.jpg]
[Image: IMG_2906_zps2f95bf66.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I told you didn't I that there maybe a difference with the rover 800 stuff, as these were not K series powered.
you may have to set the stepper motor on it, or the fuel pump cannot take the power of the bigger injector ( may need a more powerful fuel pump, it could be even ECU related. the ECu does have something to do with how the injector behaves, or so I read.
you are on your own with this one fella sadly, this is why I said keep it in the K series family in case the injectors are coded to certain types of ECUs.
Thanks given by:
(19-12-2014, 12:17 AM)procta Wrote: I told you didn't I that there maybe a difference with the rover 800 stuff, as these were not K series powered.
you may have to set the stepper motor on it, or the fuel pump cannot take the power of the bigger injector ( may need a more powerful fuel pump, it could be even ECU related. the ECu does have something to do with how the injector behaves, or so I read.
you are on your own with this one fella sadly, this is why I said keep it in the K series family in case the injectors are coded to certain types of ECUs.

Haha I know what you said, when parts are scarce and there is a brand new one like that available it seems silly not to experiment though Wink

It is running alot better on all parts of the throttle you would normally drive it with. Just when you take it to the extreme its a bit unhappy.

Hopefully the cutting out is sorted, time will tell if that is the case!
Thanks given by:
if its lot happier then switch the manifold and down pipe for a Mpi one off the later wedge shape as that will help it more, also look at putting a more powerful fuel pump into it, Mpi one, as the bar is higher.
it could have been the stepper motor coming to think about it, on the throttle body, on your old unit. with you swopping that over for a new one, that might have sorted the problem.
Just a matter really of playing now, as you say. as not many places have the rover diagnostic port, That's the little 3 pin plug. I did have a spare alternator from my Egg beater that would have been plug in play for you! you could have had that for price of postage!
Rob one from a Metro
Thanks given by:
(19-12-2014, 01:07 PM)procta Wrote: if its lot happier then switch the manifold and down pipe for a Mpi one off the later wedge shape as that will help it more, also look at putting a more powerful fuel pump into it, Mpi one, as the bar is higher.
it could have been the stepper motor coming to think about it, on the throttle body, on your old unit. with you swopping that over for a new one, that might have sorted the problem.
Just a matter really of playing now, as you say. as not many places have the rover diagnostic port,  That's the little 3 pin plug.  I did have a spare alternator from my Egg beater that would have been plug in play for you! you could have had that for price of postage!
Rob one from a Metro

If the fuel pressure regulator in this car is set up for SPI at 1 bar, when you add the MPI pump at 3 bar surely all that will do is peg the pressure regulator open? Quite a large step up in pressure!

Cheers on the alternator, never thought of asking haha, ended up buying one from the local motor factors which wasn't too dear, but it had the worlds loudest bearings in it, so they are getting another one in!
Thanks given by:
wouldn't do anything to it tbh, all it would do is throw the fuel back down the return pipe quicker. wouldn't even alter the pressure regulator, you can get a pressure regulator valve gauge that can tweak it, which replaces the standard one.
buy this too, it will help you adjust the unit. Got mine to fit, but got the waterless coolant to do 1st.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251584587336?_...EBIDX%3AIT
Thanks given by:
Bought some cheap MG wheels while I was in Staffordshire over Christmas.

Just a wee test fit before buying tyres for them Wink

[Image: IMG_3006_zps0e01c69b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Hairpins, nice. How much they set you back? I picked up a nice set with some questionable tyres for 60 quid
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
(28-12-2014, 05:57 PM)tenwierdufos Wrote: Bought some cheap MG wheels while I was in Staffordshire over Christmas.

Just a wee test fit before buying tyres for them Wink

[Image: IMG_3006_zps0e01c69b.jpg]

that looks the part! takes me back to my early metro days, when you used to see these modded like that! That was when rover sport was a live and kicking.
Thanks given by:
(28-12-2014, 07:13 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Hairpins, nice. How much they set you back? I picked up a nice set with some questionable tyres for 60 quid

£30 Good deal! Friend of mine had them in his garden for a couple of years and wanted rid, tyres are garbage though, wanted to make sure they would fit before I spent a fair bit on getting the tyres haha.

(28-12-2014, 07:38 PM)procta Wrote: that looks the part! takes me back to my early metro days, when you used to see these modded like that! That was when rover sport was a live and kicking.

Cheers Smile Will do some more pics when the tyres and wheels are on there permernantly. Hoping it will stick to the road better too... Going from a 175/65/14 to 205/50/16 tyres.
Thanks given by:
Ive always liked a rover valver, have a particular soft spot for the coupe version of these lol
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Looks nice on those wheels...only ever got as big as 15" TSW Blades on mine.
Thanks given by:
Wheels looks sweet,really suit it.

bargain of the year Smile
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
(28-12-2014, 09:37 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: Ive always liked a rover valver, have a particular soft spot for the coupe version of these lol

coupes now are hard to get hold of, there was a phase where no one would buy them, so most ended up been broken and scrapped.
Which is a shame like as the old school rovers are starting to climb in value now.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SRowells P38 Range Rover 2.5 DSE Eeyore 10 4,707 11-12-2017, 05:57 PM
Last Post: Eeyore
  Proctas Rover Metro GTA 16v procta 180 81,189 28-06-2014, 04:26 AM
Last Post: procta
  My First Car - 1991 Rover Mini Neon [Image Heavy] phillmoore 39 13,579 26-06-2014, 02:18 PM
Last Post: silverzx