Peugeot 406 coupe hdi, mapped and lowered

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peugeot 406 coupe hdi, mapped and lowered
Decided to scratch the coupe itch and picked myself up a bargain 2003 hyperion blue 2.2Hdi se.
Got it cheap due to being in limp mode when I bought it, fixed it as soon as i got home haha

[Image: 14dbab3d-2c06-45f7-bd3e-ed44b9c95d72_zps337e7265.jpg]

The tsw pace wheels fitted make me feel sick so they were hastily removed within 5 hours of ownership haha

[Image: cdbc736e-071f-4990-b4a8-509b72423dae_zps0e9803af.jpg]
can't belive how much better it looks!

On the to do list for the next couple of weeks:

full service, change all fluids and filters
replace anti roll bar links, brake discs and pads, track rod ends, balljoints
source and replace front bumper, refit oem headunit and some better condition headlights
remove FAP and all associated anti pollution systems
decent exhaust
remap
Bilstein shocks and some sort of decent springs

That's all I have planned for now, it's a daily but I just want to have it oem+, just a nice tourer that still gets the mpg to justify it Smile
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
You always manage to find cars needing the suspension overhauled don't ya! Smile
[Image: av5ym8.jpg]
Thanks given by:
hmmm, very nice, would quite like one of these - let me know when you get bored of it please Smile
Thanks given by:
(07-11-2014, 08:03 PM)Jimbo Wrote: You always manage to find cars needing the suspension overhauled don't ya! Smile

Technically it only needs droplinks, but I'd rather change everything and have it driving like new, plus it came from Birmingham so it's also for my own peace of mind to replace everything and know that it's fitted correctly Smile

(07-11-2014, 08:38 PM)zx_volcane Wrote: hmmm, very nice, would quite like one of these - let me know when you get bored of it please Smile

Haha, you still got the rover?
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Lol, the rover is long gone
Thanks given by:
(07-11-2014, 11:02 PM)zx_volcane Wrote: Lol, the rover is long gone

aha oh well

First things first with a new car....

One very thorough jetwash, all arches and underside cleaned, inside fuel filler cap, door shuts, bootlid etc, then sponged with some decent shampoo then rinse and dry.

Then used g3 cutting compound on every inch of paintwork, removing 99% of the small scratches and marks
[Image: 117e3278-a5c9-40b0-b34e-246cca691d49_zps897c9531.jpg]

two coats of super resin polish later and its finally looking decent

[Image: 3a00adc1-ad81-4635-ae68-5149d05e9be7_zpsfa0e949c.jpg]
[Image: f3028ca2-a7e9-461b-b584-870956201ec7_zps7fcdc0be.jpg]

Shampoo'd and scrubbed the carpet to get rid of the smell of old cigarettes
[Image: 1ea8937d-f354-4a49-80a6-69ead5e4f874_zps5913c120.jpg]

Then finally steamcleaned 10+ years of muck off the engine and bay, comes up pretty well
[Image: 09d60808-063f-4867-a924-d7ace55d04e2_zpsf4f931dd.jpg]

Also cleaned the seats and dash with warm soapy water to remove all the cigarette smoke residue then full leather treatment to bring back some shine, no pictures as my phone died but it definitely smells better and not like an old pub!
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Just too girly for my liking....I know I drive a moonshine blue 306...but that blue is just too...girly! Shame it wasnt that dark metalic blue they make it in!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Plugged in pp2k with rob the other night to see whats caused the eml to come back on since clearing the faults on monday, here's what I've got...

Mostly FAP related which im not fussed about since itll be removed anyway, but would someone be able to shed some light on my turbo pressure signal and pre heating relay problem?
[Image: 0bcff7ee-dc60-429e-9c16-9b1a3b3676cf_zps57ccc844.jpg]

Also most of my service parts have turned up, hopefully the knocking from the front will be sorted and a service because i doubt the previous owner has used the correct oil or ever changed the gear oil as is usually the case with most cars unfortunately
[Image: 81bc8337-2cfa-4cbf-8229-d50ae9aff1a2_zps51073f8a.jpg]

(07-11-2014, 11:30 PM)Piggy Wrote: Just too girly for my liking....I know I drive a moonshine blue 306...but that blue is just too...girly! Shame it wasn't that dark metallic blue they make it in!

I would have loved a scarlet red or polaris blue one but its so hard to find a decent hdi in the first place that I just got what i could aha

wasn't too keen on hyperion but now ive cleaned it the colours grown on me
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
missed the polishing...very nice! Always satisfying to shine and clean a new car!! Makes it your own!

Can I hire your machine polishing services in the spring for the moonshine?? Smile
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(07-11-2014, 11:40 PM)Piggy Wrote: missed the polishing...very nice! Always satisfying to shine and clean a new car!! Makes it your own!

Can I hire your machine polishing services in the spring for the moonshine?? Smile

Machine polishing....? lol

Zakks cars havent seen a mop whilst in his ownership dude Big Grin
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
Love this, these are such good value right now, and genuinely one of the prettiest cars around.
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Turbo pressure is usually a sticky actuator or boost leak on these iirc. The pre-heating relay is just that, same as on the 306 - four glowies in a unit that plugs into the coolant circuit. Don't know where the relay is, but it's unecessary and won't bring up the eml. Helps the car warm up quicker though, should improve mpg a bit on short journeys and mean your windscreen clears quicker.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(08-11-2014, 08:31 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote:
(07-11-2014, 11:40 PM)Piggy Wrote: missed the polishing...very nice! Always satisfying to shine and clean a new car!! Makes it your own!

This, a trick Matt taught me actually, just buy a tube of g3 and a soft sponge, get yourself a jug of water to keep the sponge damp then go over the car in a circle motion, amazing results although very time consuming...

It's got rid of most of the marks in the paint from around the door handles, edges of bumpers etc though so worth the time

(08-11-2014, 08:56 AM)THE_Liam Wrote: Love this, these are such good value right now, and genuinely one of the prettiest cars around.

Cheers man, and you're right that nearly 18 years on from the first models they still look gorgeous on the roads and pretty much wherever else you take it haha
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(08-11-2014, 11:03 AM)ozonehostile Wrote:
(08-11-2014, 08:31 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote:

This, a trick Matt taught me actually, just buy a tube of g3 and a soft sponge, get yourself a jug of water to keep the sponge damp then go over the car in a circle motion, amazing results although very time consuming...

It's got rid of most of the marks in the paint from around the door handles, edges of bumpers etc though so worth the time

(08-11-2014, 08:56 AM)THE_Liam Wrote: Love this, these are such good value right now, and genuinely one of the prettiest cars around.

Cheers man, and you're right that nearly 18 years on from the first models they still look gorgeous on the roads and pretty much wherever else you take it haha

I cant help being so amazing Tongue but your welcome Wink
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(08-11-2014, 09:57 AM)Poodle Wrote: Turbo pressure is usually a sticky actuator or boost leak on these iirc. The pre-heating relay is just that, same as on the 306 - four glowies in a unit that plugs into the coolant circuit. Don't know where the relay is, but it's unecessary and won't bring up the eml. Helps the car warm up quicker though, should improve mpg a bit on short journeys and mean your windscreen clears quicker.

It seems as it's the turbo pressure that brings on the eml as there's no time I can pinpoint when it happens, just random it seems. My thought processes for finding that where the map sensor by the ecu mostly as pp2k seems to indicate that the sensor itself is playing up, but I'll definitely be checking for boost leaks and actuator movement when I can get it on the ramp Smile

Also go through the pre heater relay problem, I know it's not strictly necessary on an hdi but it would be nice to have zero faults

Ordered some bosch duraterms as my first stop into curing it as I suspect the plugs have never been changed in this

(08-11-2014, 11:08 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote:
(08-11-2014, 11:03 AM)ozonehostile Wrote:
(08-11-2014, 08:31 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Machine polishing....? lol

I cant help being so amazing Tongue but your welcome Wink

Haha :p

It works amazingly on dull headlights too
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
That G3 trick sounds good!! ninja

As for no faults...I don't think you can get a modern car with no fault codes lol. Especially if the 406 is Mux as well.
Thanks given by:
Nice purchase!
Ive always had a soft spot for these and the V6 and would love one in the near future after the 306, would make such a comfy cruiser/daily! Will go well with a remap and dpf removed
Good luck with it Smile
Thanks given by:
(08-11-2014, 11:18 AM)Toms306 Wrote: That G3 trick sounds good!! ninja

As for no faults...I don't think you can get a modern car with no fault codes lol. Especially if the 406 is Mux as well.

Haha very true, I'll change it to no major faults :p

(08-11-2014, 11:19 AM)MY95 Wrote: Nice purchase!
Ive always had a soft spot for these and the V6 and would love one in the near future after the 306, would make such a comfy cruiser/daily! Will go well with a remap and dpf removed
Good luck with it Smile

If petrol was below a pound a litre id have no hesitation picking up a v6 to run daily, but alas they are incredibly thirsty it seems, even more so than my gti6

2.2hdi seemed like a good compromise with the luxury interior and an engine that can be remapped to v6 power once all the "aunty" pollution shit has been permanently deactivated.

They sound pretty nice for a diesel tbf, although no where near as good as a 6 pot Sad
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Looks like a decent purchase. Another car getting the Zac overhaul

Oh and have fun changing the glow plugs Smile
Thanks given by:
(08-11-2014, 12:13 PM)Frosty Wrote: Looks like a decent purchase. Another car getting the Zac overhaul

Oh and have fun changing the glow plugs Smile

aha i haven't looked where they are yet, what fun have I got myself in for?
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Im pretty sure there down the back of the engine and the egr bits are it the way of a couple of them. I maybe wrong though
Thanks given by:
(08-11-2014, 12:25 PM)Frosty Wrote: Im pretty sure there down the back of the engine and the egr bits are it the way of a couple of them. I maybe wrong though

hmm that sounds about right seeing as the inlet manifold is sat on the front of the head.
All the egr stuff is getting binned anyway so might save the plugs until ive got the bits of pipe needed to remove it
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Yeah I reckon make sure to do the plugs and get rid of the egr at the same time

What power is this standard?
Thanks given by:
(08-11-2014, 12:41 PM)Frosty Wrote: Yeah I reckon make sure to do the plugs and get rid of the egr at the same time

What power is this standard?

They're 138bhp standard iirc, certainly feels alot pokier than my stage 1 306 when it's not in limp mode lol
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
My brothers 306 Hdi had the pre-heater fault. It was a green relay underneath the brown fuel pump relay, behind the ECU on the 306. Big green and black thing.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2001-2-0-HDI-8...5d4d83fdf2
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
Feel free to sell me this once you've fixed everything and get bored because there's nothing to tinker with. lmao

Epic cruiser.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
(08-11-2014, 07:53 PM)C2K Wrote: My brothers 306 Hdi had the pre-heater fault. It was a green relay underneath the brown fuel pump relay, behind the ECU on the 306. Big green and black thing.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2001-2-0-HDI-8...5d4d83fdf2

Hmm its as of yet a mystery to me where it is in this engine bay haha

when i find it I shall replace Smile

(09-11-2014, 11:55 AM)RetroPug Wrote: Feel free to sell me this once you've fixed everything and get bored because there's nothing to tinker with. lmao

Epic cruiser.

Im not that bad with cars am I? lmao

once all the boring mechanical stuff is sorted im sure ill be too busy enjoying it to think about selling for a while yet. All the little annoying bits just make the overall enjoyment of the car more worthwhile :p
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Looks sweet

Been toying with getting one of these for a daily.
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
Had a couple of hours spare today so made a start at the ever growing "to do list"

Engine oil dropped out, refilled with Total 5w40 fully synth as it should be, new genuine oil filter

cabin air filter replaced, good job too as the old one was disgusting

Engine air filter replaced and all the crap emptied out from the bottom of the airbox

Took the majority of boost hoses off expecting to clean them but was nice to find them lovely and dry, only a slight glaze of oil in the bottom hose

Cleaned up battery clamps and terminals with some sandpaper

greased all the hinges, replaced a few bulbs

Still to do to get it mechanically sound:

Gear oil change (crunches into 4th when cold)
fuel filter change (two different types, typically I bought the wrong one)
droplinks front and rear
tie bars and track rod ends
rear wheel bearings
balljoints
rear stabilizer links
discs on all corners
brembo calipers and new pads
new shocks and springs
deFAP and deEGR
v6 Strut brace

should drive alright then Wink

(09-11-2014, 06:16 PM)7057sam Wrote: Looks sweet

Been toying with getting one of these for a daily.

Im glad that i took the plunge and bought one, Its just nice to have something different to a 306 for a change. Still got the gti6 as my fun car so best of both worlds really

Really hard to keep the interest there i found if your fun car and daily are both the same model lol

(08-11-2014, 12:25 PM)Frosty Wrote: Im pretty sure there down the back of the engine and the egr bits are it the way of a couple of them. I maybe wrong though

You are right Frost, what a PITA!!!!!!
Current stable
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(09-11-2014, 06:03 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: Im not that bad with cars am I? lmao

once all the boring mechanical stuff is sorted im sure ill be too busy enjoying it to think about selling for a while yet. All the little annoying bits just make the overall enjoyment of the car more worthwhile :p

Haha no I would just quite like one of these and I know you take care of your cars. lmao

By the way, what product did you use to shine up the gti6 dash? It was looking good in Redditch.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stu's coupe. BMW content.. disco stu 87 25,685 05-10-2014, 06:14 PM
Last Post: disco stu