Xmas Tool Kit Reccomendations (Halfords Adv?)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Xmas Tool Kit Reccomendations (Halfords Adv?)
So, planning on getting tools off the family / Mrs for Xmas so need some recommendations.

Personally I think a 2-3 Ton super low entry jack is a must (for the Nissan that is practically on the floor) and future cars e.g. the 306/205 if they get lowered a lot. My old 2 ton normal halfords jack has served me well but is getting old.

Then I'm a bit confused, do I get a big chest with minimal tools or go for something like a Halfords Advanced spanner/socket set?

Here's some ideas I'm playing with...

Halfords Advanced Professional 200 Piece Socket and Ratchet Spanner Set (£150 reduced from £300).
http://www.halfords.com/motoring/garage-...panner-set

Phaze 275 Piece Tool Chest (£80 reduced from £120)
http://www.halfords.com/motoring/garage-...tool-chest

2 Ton Low Entry Jack (£40)
http://www.halfords.com/motoring/garage-...ow-profile

I have Halfords Trade card but don't think it's going to be much cheaper (if at all) to buy the Advanced kit.

Any other recommendations?
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
I have the advanced 200pc kit...trade card didn't take anything off in Jan this year. Brilliant kit tbh.

I guess the main question is do you have a workshop or do you have move tools around? I wanted a chest but it just wasn't practical for me...
Thanks given by:
(21-10-2014, 08:08 AM)Toms306 Wrote: I have the advanced 200pc kit...trade card didn't take anything off in Jan this year. Brilliant kit tbh.

I guess the main question is do you have a workshop or do you have move tools around? I wanted a chest but it just wasn't practical for me...

I have a big shed (4 walls, dry space, running water, electric) (I guess you could call it a workshop). I don't really need to move tools often, but when I move into my own place it would be nice to be able to take them with me, it would also be nice to be able to lock them and secure them to a wall.

However, I need more tools rather than storage ultimately for now.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
Consider whether you need somewhere to put the tools. Or tools to put somewhere.

Any toolbox will do as a temporary fix but you can't take the car apart with the roll cab itself.

Get tools first., then tidy later.
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
(21-10-2014, 08:19 AM)toseland Wrote: Consider whether you need somewhere to put the tools. Or tools to put somewhere.

Any toolbox will do as a temporary fix but you can't take the car apart with the roll cab itself.

Get tools first., then tidy later.

I want tools first.

But does anyone recommend anything over Halfords Adv and the bits I linked?
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
Good kit, remember that, now, however the ratchets are not covered by the warranty, sockets still are tho.
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
(21-10-2014, 08:23 AM)toseland Wrote: Good kit, remember that, now, however the ratchets are not covered by the warranty, sockets still are tho.

Sounds good, spanners aren't exactly expensive anyway and I have a few!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
I got my halfords kit a few years ago now. its great. Bargain price when its on offer. The case used to be terrible but theyve updated them. Only complaint I have is that oneof the screws have dropped out of my 3/8 inch ratchet which means its a bit loose now.
Thanks given by:
Another thing I need advice on is a Welder, I want my own for tacking exhaust and stuff together..
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
(21-10-2014, 08:36 AM)SRowell Wrote: I got my halfords kit a few years ago now. its great. Bargain price when its on offer. The case used to be terrible but theyve updated them. Only complaint I have is that oneof the screws have dropped out of my 3/8 inch ratchet which means its a bit loose now.

infact with my recent discovery of threadlock its probably worth taking all the small screws out and threadlocking them in Tongue
Thanks given by:
(21-10-2014, 08:55 AM)SRowell Wrote:
(21-10-2014, 08:36 AM)SRowell Wrote: I got my halfords kit a few years ago now. its great. Bargain price when its on offer. The case used to be terrible but theyve updated them. Only complaint I have is that oneof the screws have dropped out of my 3/8 inch ratchet which means its a bit loose now.

infact with my recent discovery of threadlock its probably worth taking all the small screws out and threadlocking them in Tongue

you only just discovered threadlock??? . . . . . how what tha??? . .Big Grin
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
I've had a ratchet replaced under warranty, it's pot luck as to whether they realise it's not covered!
Thanks given by:
the Halfords advance kit is good except the case, it's fking annoying putting all my bits in the right places only to pick the case up and hear them all fall out and rattle around the tool case
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
Ideally look at:

6 Sided Sockets (I have a neilson set on a rail 7mm to 22mm on 3/8 - do the job no sweat)
Set of Deep sockets (halfords?)
Impact sockets (if any just get popular size 17/19/etc)
3/8 Socket Set of Hex (allen) jobbys (halfords advance - for when they break)
3/8 Socket Set of Torx jobbys (halfords advance - for when they break)
Pliers (I find irwin vicegrip are pretty good)
Molegrips (again irwin)
Sidecutters (Knipex if your feeling flush)

Basics are there really which you have some of, just need topping up ThumbsUp
Thanks given by:
Mine don't move at all in the case! Confused.
Thanks given by:
(21-10-2014, 11:37 AM)lolsteve Wrote: the Halfords advance kit is good except the case, it's fking annoying putting all my bits in the right places only to pick the case up and hear them all fall out and rattle around the tool case

Hate this.

Mine does it too.
Thanks given by:
Which kits have you guys got? And do you still have the foam in the middle?
Thanks given by:
(21-10-2014, 11:46 AM)mr_fish Wrote: Ideally look at:

6 Sided Sockets (I have a neilson set on a rail 7mm to 22mm on 3/8 - do the job no sweat)
Molegrips (again irwin)

You got it!

- Pliers
- Deep sockets
- Impact sockets
- Allen & hex socket set pieces
- Side cutters
- Screw drivers
- Low entry jack
- MIG Welder
- Tap & die
- Quality drill bits
- Crimpers
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
(21-10-2014, 12:01 PM)silverzx Wrote:
(21-10-2014, 11:46 AM)mr_fish Wrote: Ideally look at:

Molegrips (again irwin)

You got it!

- Cable ties
- Duct tape
- Hammer
- Big hammer
Thanks given by:
Just remortgage the house and then pay the snap on man a visit.
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(21-10-2014, 12:08 PM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Just remortgage the house and then pay the snap on man a visit.

What mortgage? Blush

I live in a Caravan.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
Ah i see..

just Steal a nice snap on / blue point / kamasa / MAC tools roll cab that is already full of kit Big Grin
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(21-10-2014, 12:12 PM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Ah i see..

just Steal a nice snap on / blue point / kamasa / MAC tools roll cab that is already full of kit Big Grin

Where is yours located..? ninja
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
I have been thinking about the 200 piece set. Need to speak to mother to see if she will get me an early Christmas present so i got a tool set i can keep in the estate.
Thanks given by:
Mines a carrier bag full of poundland tools Wink
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(21-10-2014, 08:08 AM)Toms306 Wrote: I have the advanced 200pc kit...trade card didn't take anything off in Jan this year. Brilliant kit tbh.

How do you find the 200 piece set? It worth getting that over the 150 and 170 piece kits would you say?
Thanks given by:
In all honesty though I started out with a 200 piece KS tools kit, i swear by KS tools (made by snap on and carry same warranty)

Just keep adding to it as and when you discover you need the extra tools Smile thats how i have what i have now.
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
The boys over on SX Owners don't rate the 200 piece set, they think they're chocolate.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
(21-10-2014, 12:17 PM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Mines a carrier bag full of poundland tools Wink

Rofl
Thanks given by:
Really? im yet to break one during its intended use...i think zakk & dum dum can vouch that mine get SERIOUS abuse.

They even replaced a ratchet spanner under warranty!
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Halfords 8 Drawer Tool Centre - £63 Eeyore 1 1,098 03-04-2017, 04:31 PM
Last Post: Stef205
  Halfords Advanced 170 piece Tool Sets - £110 Eeyore 29 13,287 17-11-2016, 12:41 PM
Last Post: Dum-Dum
  Tool Box Talk cully 22 5,691 26-07-2016, 09:44 AM
Last Post: Frosty