Toms306s Project - Fodge!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toms306s Project - Fodge!
Toms306 Wrote:So it does half the mpg of mine....I'd say that's thirsty! lol

It isn't for what it is though Tom, 30 mpg average in a powerful, turbocharged petrol is pretty good. Plus, a Golf TDI in the same condition as my Octavia would have been about £1000-£1500 more, and that buys a lot of petrol Wink

You can get 45 mpg on a run and 25-30 mpg in town from these even with a re-map to 220 bhp, compare that to a mk1 Impreza WRX with about the same power and it won't look thirsty then, my mate gets 28 mpg ON A RUN :o
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
THE_Liam Wrote:It isn't for what it is though Tom, 30 mpg average in a powerful, turbocharged petrol is pretty good. Plus, a Golf TDI in the same condition as my Octavia would have been about £1000-£1500 more, and that buys a lot of petrol Wink

You can get 45 mpg on a run and 25-30 mpg in town from these even with a re-map to 220 bhp, compare that to a mk1 Impreza WRX with about the same power and it won't look thirsty then, my mate gets 28 mpg ON A RUN :o

You can get an Impreza into single figures if you put your foot down ninja that makes yours look amazing, although the Impreza should be around 240 BHP if it is standard and its not broken lol
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:You can get an Impreza into single figures if you put your foot down ninja that makes yours look amazing, although the Impreza should be around 240 BHP if it is standard and its not broken lol

I can't believe how bad they are on juice, I think it's the boxer engine. My dad had a Legacy 2.2 non-turbo, and that got about 20 mpg average...
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Soooo.....quite enjoying the new power and mpgz! Big Grin The dubgen meet was surpisingly good last night and even had a play with a 1.8t on the way there lol.....did get lost in martlesham on the way back though. Doh

Anyway, just wondering if the turbo 'normally' allows any oil into the boost hoses on a turbo engine? Basically because I have a small boost leak (one of the few jubilees I had to use lol, will get another T clamp soon) and theres oil coming out of it...BUT I have a catch tank from the crank breather and wasn't aware of anything else dumping oil into the intake?? :think:
Thanks given by:
Could be slightly worn seals inside the turbo allowing oil from it's main feed to seep out?

If the car has a fair few miles then it's just a sign of the turbo getting older.
Captain Standard

Thanks given by:
Turbo's f*cked.
Thanks given by:
Toby Wrote:Could be slightly worn seals inside the turbo allowing oil from it's main feed to seep out?

If the car has a fair few miles then it's just a sign of the turbo getting older.

If it is just age then I'm not too bothered as it's on 130k and I'm not changing the turbo...yet. ninja But if theres anything else that causes it then I'd like to stop it lol.
Thanks given by:
Dan! Wrote:Turbo's f*cked.

O rly ninja There was a lot more oil in the silver one lol lol :oops:

And what do you mean by f*cked...cos it still boosts well and sounds ace.....it's expected to be worn a bit by now lol.....so would you be after 10 years and 130k miles. Big Grin
Thanks given by:

Always the drama queen eh lmao

Where's that old Norfolk spirit of getting ones value for money? Run it 'til it stops completely, then run it some more should be your motto Tongue
Captain Standard

Thanks given by:
Toby Wrote:

Always the drama queen eh lmao

Where's that old Norfolk spirit of getting ones value for money? Run it 'til it stops completely, then run it some more should be your motto Tongue

He's just jealous I have the twice the power of the Bora...........and climatronic! Big Grin

Jks....I'd love the leathers from the bora! Sad
Thanks given by:
But Dan's got more stance than... This man!

[Image: horse-stance04.jpg]
Captain Standard

Thanks given by:
Hehe, just a bit of scaremongering, sorry Tom Tongue If you have put an oil catch tank on, and fitted it correctly, then the only oil in there will be what was left in there from before from the oil breather (did you clean the intake pipes out?) or leaking from the turbo seals. Id say its probably more likely to be left over oil breather stuff, but theres still an obvious posibility its turbo seals. If you can get to the turbo inlet easy enough then check the shaft for any play Smile
Thanks given by:
Toby Wrote:But Dan's got more stance than... This man!

[Image: horse-stance04.jpg]

True....I've seen the state his arches are in!! lmao

I did feel a bit like a tractor at the meet yesterday though, musta been the only one on standard suspension! lol There was some awesome air ride there too... :think:
Thanks given by:
Dan! Wrote:If you have put an oil catch tank on, and fitted it correctly

We modify 306's. Things are never done correctly.. Only cheaply ninja
Captain Standard

Thanks given by:
Dan! Wrote:Hehe, just a bit of scaremongering, sorry Tom Tongue If you have put an oil catch tank on, and fitted it correctly, then the only oil in there will be what was left in there from before from the oil breather (did you clean the intake pipes out?) or leaking from the turbo seals. Id say its probably more likely to be left over oil breather stuff, but theres still an obvious posibility its turbo seals. If you can get to the turbo inlet easy enough then check the shaft for any play Smile

I cleaned out what I could get too which was all pipes that I didnt replace except the red turbo pipe...and not inside the turbo, cant be much stuck in the turbo though surely? :think:

I expect the turbo seals are leaking a bit tbh, as said its done a fair few miles now! The turbo inlet is easy enough to reach...but I couldn't get the bloody inlet pipe clip off! :roll:

Its got one of them clips you have to squeeze together like on the airbox but not enough space for a tool to squeeze it together! Confusedhock:
Thanks given by:
Toby Wrote:
Dan! Wrote:If you have put an oil catch tank on, and fitted it correctly

We modify 306's. Things are never done correctly.. Only cheaply ninja

Well tbf it's not done 'properly yet lmao Thats washing machine waste hose, a squash bottle and some masking tape btw. Wink

[Image: 4-3E2A389E-1012133-480-1.jpg]

However I have the catch tank and the pipe now, just need some time to put it on! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Toms306 Wrote:
Toby Wrote:We modify 306's. Things are never done correctly.. Only cheaply ninja

Thats washing machine waste hose, a squash bottle and some masking tape btw. Wink

Just get a marker pen and write 'Greddy' on the side of them.. People will never know ninja
Captain Standard

Thanks given by:
Tom, I don't want to have to keep merging your double posts, please choose your quote, copy it and edit your original post, or learn to press quote, then in full editor select the second post you wanted to quote.

Otherwise I'll just start deleting both posts whenever I see it Smile
Thanks given by:
Oops, will try not to do that in future Scott, sorry. Sad
Thanks given by:
Scott: Clamping down on spam since 2007.
Captain Standard

Thanks given by:
Toby Wrote:Scott: Clamping down on spam since 2007.

How can it be spam in my own thread lol
Thanks given by:
lol It's okay mate Smile Thanks
Thanks given by:
Quick update.....fitted the towbar today......but this ones detachable with no visible signs of it when removed (unless you lay under the bumper lol...) Smile

Start....

[attachment=4]

Cars naked :o
[attachment=5]

All done Big Grin
[attachment=3]

When removed, the towball thing fits in the spare wheel tool carrier and the plug folds up under the bumper.....so its handy but hidden. Big Grin

Also, took some beading pics the other day....
[attachment=2]
[attachment=1]
[attachment=0]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Good practice there Tom working on a car supported by a jack :clap:

Looks like a nice tidy job though, even better if its totally hidden when not in use Smile and you didn't get killed by the car falling which has to be a bonus lol
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
never heard of axle stands? lol atleast trust something solid
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
There's no where on a mk4 to put the jack or stands except that one point! It's the same on the fabia, stupid design tbh.

The other side was supported by a stand and the oem jack BTW.
Thanks given by:
What's wrong with the rear beam? lol
Thanks given by:
Dan! Wrote:What's wrong with the rear beam? lol

It's not a 306.....

The beam on the golf doesn't look all that strong to me, and on briskoda it says that you shouldn't support the car on the beam :?
Thanks given by:
Jacking on the middle of the beam isn't advisable, but what's wrong with one each side? I do have some experience in this area as mine is the same before you inevitably argue...
Thanks given by:
Curt Wrote:Jacking on the middle of the beam isn't advisable, but what's wrong with one each side? I do have some experience in this area as mine is the same before you inevitably argue...

........................ lmao ...........................
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Toms306s "Bit Of A 'State" Toms306 227 87,075 12-11-2012, 10:29 PM
Last Post: Jonny81191