Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Partybish's 190k HDI Cleanup Thread
There's still a rip in the driver's seat bolster but when I get the time I will strip down the spare seat I have and replace this.  They are much nicer to look at on the whole and I will hopefully get some door cards to match at a later stage.

With the interior all back together and a few odd jobs attended to the thing I had been really looking forward to was cleaning the exterior.  
The paint was looking pretty dull and flat before I started. 

I started by washing it with Meguiar's NXT car wash which made it look a lot better.

I then removed all the door strips and used a DA machine polisher to get rid of the worst marks on the car - like this scuff which had left white paint on the door.

Part of what let the car down was the alloys, they were flaking really badly from a DIY spray job and each one had a different brand of budget tyre on.  One tyre was completely bald meaning I had to put a steelie on just to get it home.

Before I even sourced the car I had manged to acquire a set of Wheelmania Lions from a user on the gti6 forum.  These wheels seem to divide opinion but I really like the OEM look they give the car whilst providing a bit more to fill the arches than the 15" cyclones.  Anyway, when swapping the rims over I decided to paint the calipers in hammerite smooth silver.

After washing, decontaminating, hand-polishing and sealing the car I was pretty pleased with the difference.
Before (I have no idea why the steelie was covered in red paint).

After shots...

And that's pretty much where I am up to.  I've actually changed my mind about how much work to put into it because I have really enjoyed working on it so much and it's been rewarding fixing things and learning as I go so when I get a bit more time I plan to do a full machine polish, tidy up the engine bay and continue the soundproofing in advance of adding a nice stereo setup for the daily commute.

Hope it wasn't too dull a read and all comments welcome  Smile
190k Moonstone 3dr HDI sold
..on the lookout for a 6/rallye

Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Partybish's 190k HDI Cleanup Thread - by partybish - 10-05-2017, 07:35 PM
RE: Partybish's 190k HDI Cleanup Thread - by MY95 - 16-05-2017, 10:07 PM
Partybish's 190k HDI Cleanup Thread - by DeeTurbo - 02-10-2017, 02:09 PM
Partybish's 190k HDI Cleanup Thread - by DeeTurbo - 10-10-2017, 02:01 PM
Partybish's 190k HDI Cleanup Thread - by DeeTurbo - 10-10-2017, 08:08 PM
RE: Partybish's 190k HDI Cleanup Thread - by C2K - 24-12-2017, 05:21 AM

Possibly Related Threads…