Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GT2052S project thread number three
(07-06-2014, 08:32 AM)Chris_90 Wrote: I'd just say sod it put a tiny bit of weld on the wastegate arm only a small amount so it can be taken off, if it boosts Ok then you no its a weak actuator, then find a known good one and replace, only down side to this is it could potentially spin the turbo way past the boost it likes and kill the turbo so I'd say if you do that be careful with your right foot why you test it.

I did see some were you tested the actuator with a foot pump? Was it Ok then, when I bought my gt20 the actuator that come on that was a vacuum operated one so it had a vacuum to hold it shut, I might be way off with that one but running out of ideas tbh.

(07-06-2014, 08:47 AM)Poodle Wrote: Putting your hand over the compressor housing at idle will tell you precisely f*ck all lol. That change in hole size between turbo and mani won't be helping, but it won't be making that much difference.

I didn't mean the compressor housing assembly would be leaking, i meant that the turbo as a whole - particularly the exhaust housing - just isn't suitable to run on a diesel engine. If you have a look at the difference for petrol vs diesel turbine flow figures from garrett you'll see what i mean.

Chris raises a good point, are you sure it's a boost can and not a vac can?

Yeah the actuator was okay. The actuator is not the one that came with the turbo it is one from the scrap turbo that I bought by mistake which was just as well as the one that came with it would not fit.

When I pressurised it with the foot pump the rod started moving out at about 6psi so it is definitely a pressure actuator.

Poodle, I didn't know there were different versions of different turbo models based up on the engine type. But even if this turbo was a petrol version of a GT2052 then it would still be alright because it is smaller than a TD04 which is a petrol turbo anyway. I probably wouldn't do well trying to figure out flow figures I hate stuff like thatUndecided

(07-06-2014, 10:01 AM)martyn92 Wrote: Is the D seal there and not split? Boost pipe not split? Take it off and check. If the exhaust side of it is escaping you should see soot marks

I have had to cut the D seal down due to expansion but mind you I have done this with the K14 and experienced no noticeable difference in boost pressure, certainly not to the tune of 10 psi!

(07-06-2014, 10:28 AM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: well i've got my old K14 here i've just took off for a TD04, you can have that for £40 posted, it's been running around 20psi for about three years and made 134bhp . . . . .if you get desperate for MOT that is . .Smile

Thanks Matt but I still have my K14 Smile I just can't face going back to it.

(07-06-2014, 11:30 AM)Uberderv Wrote: Is it possible that the wastegate is open because it's lever arm is in the opposite position? Problem with the boost can thing on compressor outlet? or boost pipes not secured properly.

That's the old actuator that it came with. This is the new setup:

[Image: P1010001_zps1e45c80d.jpg]

For all I know it might be pulling the wategate actuator towards it, there is not way to tell! It might just be tilting since it is only held by one thing.

(07-06-2014, 11:20 AM)Tom Wrote: Please stop moaning about the money, at first it was a "poor chap" now its just "man hes really hung up on the money thing" if you were THAT worried about money you shouldnt of started.

I think its something stupid like the pipe isnt secured on the compressor housing properly and is leaking like a bitch, that pipe is a pain in the arse. Or the inlet mani isnt on properly. That said it COULD be the turbo, but tbh if its that f*cked you would of noticed before you put it on no?

I am not moaning about money. I am just surprised how some people claim to be able to do this all for under 100 pounds. I am showing how much the real cost is unless you are very skilled and lucky.

I have tightened the jubilee clip all the way on the compressor housing outlet, it was slightly under tightened I will admit, but now I have tightened it there is still no difference. I also did the inlet mani up tightly as well. The pipe does seem slightly too big in diameter for the turbo outlet but that would not have an effect with how tight I have tightened up the jubilee clip.

I don't know enough about turbos to tell what state of repair they are in or not unfortunately. All I know about this one was that there was slight shaft play, that's all I could tell.

The most likely issue is the wastegate or the turbo being worn, but until I get a welder I can't rule it would for certain.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
GT2052S project thread number three - by 306Puggy - 07-05-2014, 04:05 PM
RE: GT2052S project thread number three - by Tom - 07-05-2014, 04:38 PM
RE: GT2052S project thread number three - by Tom - 07-05-2014, 06:00 PM
RE: GT2052S project thread number three - by Tom - 07-05-2014, 06:26 PM
GT2052S project thread number three - by Jtrigga - 07-05-2014, 07:23 PM
GT2052S project thread number three - by Jtrigga - 04-06-2014, 08:24 AM
RE: GT2052S project thread number three - by 306Puggy - 07-06-2014, 03:53 PM
RE: GT2052S project thread number three - by Tom - 07-06-2014, 11:20 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up (SHOW TIME )project number 3 twin turbo ( SHOW TIME ) pioneer DJ paddy 77 31,037 28-07-2017, 08:53 PM
Last Post: pioneer DJ paddy
Video project number 2 twin turbo :-) how she looks now (-: pioneer DJ paddy 138 57,666 03-03-2016, 04:31 PM
Last Post: pioneer DJ paddy
Wink Project number one Will 39 11,024 20-10-2015, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Eeyore