Trip Computer Guide (HDI)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trip Computer Guide (HDI)
It's ok, I wish my French was as good as your English.

What do you mean by autonomy? Do you mean the TC won't calculate and is stuck on --?

That's strange about the 605 having more wires from the tank. I wonder what they are for?
Thanks given by:
I was reading in a bike magazine that bike traction control works of a computer reading the engines rpm and if it realises its spiking then it cuts the injections, could we make a similar bit of kit on cars?
Thanks given by:
Yeah you could wire something up but it wouldn't be very nice and it would upset the car if you were in a high speed corner.
Thanks given by:
why would it? If its just cutting the throttle of for a fraction to regain traction, which is all TC is anyway really... you shouldnt be breaking traction in a high speed corner... maybe have a sensitivity controller too
Thanks given by:
im guessing on the 605 the extra wire in the tank is a low fuel switch wire
on the later cars this switch action is done in the dash clocks and the signal is then passed to the TC Wink
Thanks given by:
I wonder if it could be mapped in?

(12-03-2013, 09:07 PM)cully Wrote: im guessing on the 605 the extra wire in the tank is a low fuel switch wire
on the later cars this switch action is done in the dash clocks and the signal is then passed to the TC Wink

Good point.
Thanks given by:
I've just realised that my estimated fuel is working backwards lol.

When my tank is low its showing 700 od miles remaining and when I've filled up it's showing 100 od miles!

I've only realised this today.

I wonder if the sender in the 406 works differently?
Thanks given by:
could you add some sort of wiring wizadry to reverse the signal?

#cullytotherescue!

Need to get myself one of these still!!
Thanks given by:
That's what I thought when it wasn't reading right when I first installed it and I tried the other cable going to the sender but that just kept tripping the unit out, basically resetting it every time I got in the car.

Yeah, if anyone knows it'll be Cully Smile
Thanks given by:
Well I've been playing around with the wiring today and I think I've made a breakthrough with the estimated fuel in tank.

I'm going to see how it goes in the next few days if works I'll update the guide.
Thanks given by:
Dee, any chance of an update? I finally got mine wired into my ecu. Got two issues. Firstly, as soon as i turn the car off, i loose all readings completely. Almost like the battery has been taken off and secondly, i dont have a working range till empty. Still just get the 3 lines. Any idea? Oh and btw ive used the original facia for the screen and fixed it into the original dash

Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Bad news on the range till empty, it's looking like the sender on the on the 406 work opposite to our cars, I still need to confirm this. I need to measure the resistance on a 406 when fuel low and compare it on ours. But everything else should work right if you follow the table.

Are you getting 12v on pin 1 with the keys out the ignition?

Fascias looking good.
Thanks given by:
(29-05-2013, 09:35 PM)DeeTurbo Wrote: Bad news on the range till empty, it's looking like the sender on the on the 406 work opposite to our cars, I still need to confirm this. I need to measure the resistance on a 406 when fuel low and compare it on ours. But everything else should work right if you follow the table.

Are you getting 12v on pin 1 with the keys out the ignition?

Fascias looking good.

Will check tomorrow Smile
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Any luck with this Nail?
Thanks given by:
Yep just been out and checked and realised it might not have been at fault at all. When you take the power away, it lights up the entire screen until you switch the ignition on.
When i switch the ignition on, it comes up with outside temp straight away and then start it and i get everything else but all the values are blank until i drive for a short period. Ive also swapped the wires round for the fuel left but havent driven it yet so dont know if thats fixed it.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Thats good to hear it's working. I think I've tried every possible combination on the way I could wire the fuel left thing to no avail.

Hopefully someone will figure it out.
Thanks given by:
(30-05-2013, 08:07 PM)DeeTurbo Wrote: Thats good to hear it's working. I think I've tried every possible combination on the way I could wire the fuel left thing to no avail.

Hopefully someone will figure it out.

Im going to the scrap yard on saturday so will find a 406 fuel sender and measure the readings it gives over the range and see if it differs from the 306 one.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Nice one, I look forward to seeing the results.
Thanks given by:
(30-05-2013, 08:42 PM)DeeTurbo Wrote: Nice one, I look forward to seeing the results.

You mean when i set fire to my self because i short something in a tank of petrol? Lol
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Right just to show you what i mean by the TC resetting after every drive

http://youtu.be/QY4Iiwzb3iw

Should it be resetting like this as soon as i turn the car off?

Also, still dont have distance to empty but will b e double checking ive got the right wires on the back of the dials tomorrow.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
the scangauge resets the trip average each time you switch the ign off
Thanks given by:
Interesting this!
Thanks given by:
(02-06-2013, 06:55 PM)Niall Wrote: Should it be resetting like this as soon as i turn the car off?

No, it shouldn't be doing that. How did you get on checking the 12v on pin 1 with the keys out?

Have you fixed your dash lights, could the two be related?

The only time this happened to me was when I was trying to sort out the fuel left and connected them pins to the other cable coming from the sender.

So you didn't blow yourself at the scrappies the other day, were you able to find anything out regards the resistance on a 406 sender compared to ours?

I've noticed theres a guy thats put a TC in a GTI in the bit after your vid finishes, would if he's got his work?

Cully- Is there a way the build a circuit to swap the resistance so say if the resistance is 100 ohm on the sender the output on our little board will be 0 ohm or vice versa?

Also does it say on autodata what you should get from the sender on our cars compared to a 406?
Thanks given by:
It is getting a 12v constant at pin 1. Will go over your guide with a meter at the weekend to make sure everything is right.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Did you get anywhere with the fuel senders?
Thanks given by:
No I forgot to take my meter with me to the scrap yard Sad may be going back on a few weeks so will try then. Not that it matters because mine just doesn't read at all lol
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Shame, I'll see if I can get down to the one near me soon.

Let us know how you get on.
Thanks given by:
the fuel senders are different ive said this before
i will double check the wiring drawings tonight when i get home but if i remember the tank on the 406 gives the low signal and on the 306 the dash calculates it
Thanks given by:
Thanks cully.

Heres the 406 diagram for the TC.

[Image: wiring-complete_zpsba12e6e5.png]

Notice pin 1 of the sender goes straight to ground but pin 1 and 2 on the 306 goes straight to the instrumentation control module.
Thanks given by:
dont think you have the right drawing!

.pdf   406 dash.pdf (Size: 352.3 KB / Downloads: 21)
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Guide: Making A Trip Computer Stalk Chris 6 5,089 04-02-2013, 11:17 PM
Last Post: DeeTurbo