Replacing airbag components after crash

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Replacing airbag components after crash
Hi well I had a smash up back in 2009 and last two years I just removed the light but since the rules have changed the light needs to come on at startup and then go out afterwards. Important details:

Seat belt pretensioners went off

Airbag didn't go off

Seat belt pretensioners have both been replaced

So before I go further and replace the airbag is there a special reset procedure? In the Haynes manual it has some sort of 'procedure' but it doesn't seem to do anything. Basically it says to turn on the ignition and reconnect the battery and then to turn it off again and on again.

I have tried this with both pretensioners now replaced and the light is still flashing. If I buy a new airbag will it come with the sensor or is that a seperate item? Also is the sensor within the airbag unit or does it have to go on the bumper somewhere? Really need to get this done as MOT is in March! Thanks.
Thanks given by:
Well first of all you need to fill a bucket of water, large enough that you can stand in it (2 smaller buckets, 1 for each foot is however acceptable) then what you do is take said bucket, go to you local peugeot parts department and place bucket infront of the sales desk, then you stand in it and wait to be served by the helpful people, stood behind the desk doing nothing. You then ask for all 3 wiper blades, assuming you havent dewipered the rear (if you have get it anyway, you never know, it might grow back someday and then youll thank me!) I also find various trim clips helpful, doesnt matter what sort, just get loads. You will also need a new roof lining, as when the pretentioners go of, they ruin it, meaning it cant be used anymore. Now I know it might look ok, but trust me it isnt (once again, youll thank me one day)

Once you have everything you need, take your parts and bucket back home. Now this is where it gets technical, so listen carefully. Right, first of all, open the bonnet. Then set the bucket infront of the car and get in. disconnect the battery using a sturdy cable cutter, that way you make sure you cant accidentally reconnect it. I always dip my hands in the water first, as if you get shocked by the battery, it helps the electricity slide off quicker, making it less painful.

Now that the battery is disconnected, you can now proceed with removing the headlining. You can move the bucket inside your car, but this is purely optional and up to you, personally it depends what mood im in and when my last period was.

Once the headlining is removed and replaced you can move onto the wiper blades. On my car Ive modified my wiper arms, which lets me change them super quick, all you need is a small 10mm bolt, nut, washers and semen from a camel.

Lastly is the trims clips and the most fun part of the process, basically I like to throw them all into a bucket and have a lucky dip! Its a great laugh! Once you pick one from the bucket, you now need to guess where it belongs and fit it! Now, the bucket is really helpful here as plastic floats, so if you drop a clip, itll be really easy to find as itll just be floating there waiting for you. After the bucket is empty, its time to reconnect the battery, now with a sharp knife peel back some of the covering of the wires, peel back enough to get a good connection and just simply twist the 2 ends together and wrap it in electrical tape, you specifically need electrical tape, because its super conductive and help keeping a good connection.

And that is how you reset the airbag light after a collision Smile anything you need further explaining on, feel free to ask Smile
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
The bucket of water method that you mentioned seems somewhat unnecessary but I'm open minded I'll give it a go. When I disconnect the battery I always make sure that I am touching the chassis of the car so that I am earthed and that way I won't get an electric shock.
Your overall procedure is rather long winded, are all the of the steps completely necessary? Like the wipers, is that just incase I need new wipers and I'm already there I might as well get them, or is it directly related to the airbag system as I really need to save money right now!

Thanks again!
Thanks given by:
f*cking lol
[Image: sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Unless stated as optional, all steps must be followed
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
You need to replace the control module under the centre console. Just go and grab one from a scrappy but make sure no airbags or pretensioners have gone off in the car.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Hmmm, thanks NialHarper but I am not sure if a phase one will have one? Just checked the Haynes and it says that it is controlled by a g sensor that is integral to the steering wheel? Must be the difference between Phase2/3 and phase 1.
Thanks given by:
Ignore the Haynes when it comes to airbags. They say that the unit under te centre console is the sensor for side airbags which it isn't because they are bolted onto the sills.
On a ph1 it could be in a different location but I would of thought it would be there.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
the ph1 is under the console
Thanks given by:
Where abouts under the console Daniel? Thanks.
Thanks given by:
its under the ashtray, in front of the gear stick,
Thanks given by:
Top one is from a Ph1 with pretensioners only i think

[Image: DSC02577.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Connor, this is why you are a post whoring bore! you NEED to get a life :clap:
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
I am happy to confirm the correctness of Daniel306's suggestion:

[Image: P1010004.jpg]

Smile
Thanks given by:
You could always wire the Air Bag bulb to one of the other bulbs that comes on at start up if thats easier.
Thanks given by:
Thanks Dum Dum but if it's as simple as replacing the control module I would rather have the pretensioners and airbag if it's a simple fix.
Thanks given by:
Other thing to do is start the car, and hit it hard with a hammer. Sometimes this can kick them back into life.........

Smile
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Okay Niall I'll try that on the weekend. Do you mean the module or the airbag itself? I was wondering if there was a way to 'shock' it back into life, could work as a temporary fix I spose.
Thanks given by:
Either. I couldn't give a flying f*ck really. Just make sure you film the outcome.

For teaching purposes for other forum users of course.....
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
NiallHarper Wrote:Other thing to do is start the car, and hit it hard with a hammer. Sometimes this can kick them back into life.........
Smile

not quite true!

you need to hit it on the side of the box where the arrow is pointing

Popcorn
Thanks given by:
cully Wrote:not quite true!

you need to hit it on the side of the box where the arrow is pointing

Popcorn

Obviously it has to be plugged in with the ignition switched on or it won't work......
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
This information is spot on. Seen it done before but never tried it myself. Giving the module itself seemed to work, but not sure about the airbag never seen that done. When the module was done ignition was on, car running. Ensure all plugged in and give a bloody good whack. Literally hit it as hard as you can, gives it a nice shock and gets you on your way Wink
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airbag light still on after removing and reinstalling airbag 306Puggy 28 15,693 26-03-2013, 07:17 PM
Last Post: 3gan
  Components/volume/audio things Tom 5 1,579 16-01-2013, 04:28 PM
Last Post: Tom