OBD Reading

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OBD Reading
Hello! Ive seen lots of people using OBD readers and remapping their HDIs and some people having bluetooth OBD readers so they can see all their stats in real time on their phone or tablet. But what can I do with the OBD port on my year 2000 1.8?

Like would the bluetooth reader work on my car?

Cheers
Sam
Thanks given by:
Boost, speed, acceleration x &y, throttle position.
, drive status since dtc clear, current drive cycle status. Air fuel mixture

Thats on the "torque" app well the free one anyway. If you pay youll get better options iirc
Also youll have to buy the bluetooth dongle thing to plug it in
Also it wont work on iphail and not sure on blackberry
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
ok and its definitely compatible with the OBD on the 1.8? I wanted to do this on the 1.4 but everyone said it wouldnt work or something :/
Thanks given by:
4WayDiablo Wrote:Boost, speed, acceleration x &y, throttle position.
, drive status since dtc clear, current drive cycle status. Air fuel mixture

Thats on the "torque" app well the free one anyway. If you pay youll get better options iirc
Also youll have to buy the bluetooth dongle thing to plug it in
Also it wont work on iphail and not sure on blackberry
you can't get boost levels, no MAP sensor on HDI's, unless you fit one yourself, and its a 1.8, so no turbo anyway. might get vacuum levels..
Thanks given by:
Well yeah i guessed the 1.8 wouldnt have boost levels i was just listing the things it can do from the app
Thanks given by:
ok cool cheers guys. the bluetooth module seems to be £20-30 on ebay so ill grab one of those. I presume its powered from the port too?
Thanks given by:
Yup iirc
Thanks given by:
The scanguage wouldnt connect to my 2.0 16v cabby
Thanks given by:
I quite like the 'TORQUE' app, think it's only for Android though :/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8tvhVRA ... re=related
[Image: KrisB-new-Logo11.gif]
Thanks given by:
to connect to anything pre 2002 you need a proper garage/dealer scanner as it wasn't EU law for cars to be fully OBD II compliant until 2002
Thanks given by:
stevieg Wrote:to connect to anything pre 2002 you need a proper garage/dealer scanner as it wasn't EU law for cars to be fully OBD II compliant until 2002

A lot of manufacturers chose to be compliant well before. All petrol pugs from about 1996 were.
Oh and it was 2001 it became a law.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Vgate-ELM3...27c19aae3f

Reckon Im going to get this one. Was one of the cheapest I can find that is located in the UK. Ideally id be looking to write my own C# program to display the data but ill just be using torque until i can figure out how to do it! haha
Thanks given by:
from 96 they had an obdII socket but the protocol used was still a funny manufacturer specific one in pugs untill 2001, the only exception is HDis. just because it has an obdII port doesn't mean it will connect. tried many 306s with an ebay scanner, will connect to all HDis but none of the others, not tried post 2001 306s though. the only non hdi that i have been able to pull codes off were ph1 petrols but those were flash codes so doesn't really count
Thanks given by:
stevieg Wrote:from 96 they had an obdII socket but the protocol used was still a funny manufacturer specific one in pugs untill 2001, the only exception is HDis. just because it has an obdII port doesn't mean it will connect. tried many 306s with an ebay scanner, will connect to all HDis but none of the others, not tried post 2001 306s though. the only non hdi that i have been able to pull codes off were ph1 petrols but those were flash codes so doesn't really count

Sorry but that's not true at all. As part of the protocol, if a manufacturer wanted to use the obd socket, the car had to be obd compliant.
I also know that Peugeot have used obd before 2001 on several models because I have tested some!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
My car is 2000 and connects to OBD fine, like Niall says, think you got your partys muddled up there mate.

Perhaps dont buy scanners from Egay in the future Wink
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Grant speaks truth for once!
Problem with eBay scanners is they are normally copies of the real deal. Problem here is the chips don't always work properly so most of the time they just won't connect. I've been a victim of this my self Sad
Good thing about the PP is that although it's a copy, it's using the original PP flash and it's a good copy. Never heard of anyone have one fail.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
NiallHarper Wrote:Grant speaks truth for once!

Lies
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Mine has arrived i might see ill see if it works on my way home from Liverpool to Ipswich on friday Smile
Thanks given by:
Let us know how you get on, I was thinking of buying this diagnostic tool but i wasn't sure how compatible it would be?
[Image: sigjpg.jpg]
Serious.
Thanks given by:
For that money, you could buy a lexia if you have a windows laptop! I would advise that unless you need it for other cars?
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
How did you get on srowell?
[Image: sigjpg.jpg]
Serious.
Thanks given by:
It didnt work... It paired perfectly with my phone but torque just sat there trying different protocols and never fine a match! Sad
Thanks given by:
I got the same one Sam and it works perfectly on my hdi with torque
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Midnightclub Wrote:I got the same one Sam and it works perfectly on my hdi with torque

^^Works perfectly on your hdi. yep they only seem to work on hdis as all the others have random non compatible protocols. Just need to find someone with a HDI to buy it off me now! ninja
Thanks given by:
How much srowel? Been looking for this as I'm putting 10" android tablet in the car soon just for torque Smile so I'll be looking for a obd2 Smile pm me
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Torque Is a fapping epic app.. i use it for an mpg gauge all the time
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(15-02-2012, 10:23 PM)Niall Wrote:
stevieg Wrote:to connect to anything pre 2002 you need a proper garage/dealer scanner as it wasn't EU law for cars to be fully OBD II compliant until 2002

A lot of manufacturers chose to be compliant well before. All petrol pugs from about 1996 were.
Oh and it was 2001 it became a law.

sorry mate thats not true, i have a 2001 xsi 2l and i couldn't read anything with my obd scanner, pretty much any 2l with a bosch ecu is not obd2 compliant
Thanks given by:
4 years old this thread!
Thanks given by:
Atleast he's using the search function ahah
Thanks given by:
Different engines use different ECU's, hence the different features.
Thanks given by: