Top end rebuild

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top end rebuild
Maybe it's just me but that looks like it needs more than just a jet-wash? Fair play if that's it though!
Thanks given by:
Scott Wrote:Maybe it's just me but that looks like it needs more than just a jet-wash? Fair play if that's it though!

It's been sat in my shed for about 3 months so it's just grubby. Most of that crap will come off with a cloth but I am going to get it skimmed anyway.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Get it skimmed a bit more then they normally would!
[Image: Foxy2.jpg]
Thanks given by:
[Image: valvegrinding.jpg]

That's a J4RS head... Of course, valves are bigger, but the 1.8 head is silly restrictive as stock.

But I'd get an S16 ECU or similar on the case or even a GTi6 ECU so you can take it to be remapped, cause porting out the head and if you put better cams in, it's going to be very lean on a stock Sagem 1.8 ECU. I'd go with a Bosch off the S16 or the Marelli off the GTi6. You'll probably find with a ported head and decent manifolds, a S16 ECU would be not a MASSIVE amount off, will just need the fuel trimming and the ign trimming in the right places to suit the engine. With the right bits done, I wouldn't be surprised if you saw 145-150 out of this engine with simply with decent cams and a few other bits and bobs.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for your help Ruan. I am planning on fitting a different ecu. I did ask in the electrical forum as to how possible it is (iirc the 1.8 and gti wiring is practically the same) but got no answers.
For now I'm not fitting cams due to a remap. I will be fitting cams but only when I can afford to remap it.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
150 would be decent!
Thanks given by:
Fair enough, yeah.

Didn't see your thread in Electrical, yeah, you should literally be able to rip off the stock wiring loom from your XS and plug in whatever loom+ECU you like... The stuff going back to the car is near enough identical, might be one or two wires depending whether you're going between phases, but there's not a massive amount that goes back to the chassis. It's all back to the ECU, which is just engine loom.

When it goes for remap, make sure you ask them to up your rev limit, but see where the powers coming/going on the dyno and see what cams you can get into that engine, because given the right breathing mods, that engine should make some really nice power. You could even give it some uprated cams if you wanted.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
Ruan Wrote:Fair enough, yeah.

Didn't see your thread in Electrical, yeah, you should literally be able to rip off the stock wiring loom from your XS and plug in whatever loom+ECU you like... The stuff going back to the car is near enough identical, might be one or two wires depending whether you're going between phases, but there's not a massive amount that goes back to the chassis. It's all back to the ECU, which is just engine loom.

When it goes for remap, make sure you ask them to up your rev limit, but see where the powers coming/going on the dyno and see what cams you can get into that engine, because given the right breathing mods, that engine should make some really nice power. You could even give it some uprated cams if you wanted.

Yeah in which case I need to get hold of a new ecu.
Whilst I'm at it, do you reckon some gti6 injectors would be a good idea?
I am going to cam it eventually but I want a mild set of cams. The car is still used daily so I don't want something that is fast but doesn't idle and is a bit of a pig.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Well, depends what they're rated at... If you put in bigger injectors, they'll just overfuel like hell...

I'd say stick with the stock ones if you're only porting the head out, otherwise it'll be really quite bad depending on how big the injectors are.

Once you remap with better cams, you'll probably need gti6 injectors. Most GTi6 cams are pretty good tbh, you can't get anything lairy enough without pocketing pistons to cause shitty idles, they'll probably lump a bit, but not exactly vtec killer spec.
Thanks given by:
My mate put some fast road cams in his 1.4 (I know it's a different type f engine) and it idled and ran fine. Occasionally cut out, but with a decent map that would have been sorted!
Thanks given by:
Foxy-jim Wrote:My mate put some fast road cams in his 1.4 (I know it's a different type f engine) and it idled and ran fine. Occasionally cut out, but with a decent map that would have been sorted!

I know they used to take cams quite well (from my 106 days) but I've never heard about a XU taking cams well without a remap. I reckon I could get some gti cams in there and limp it to be mapped
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Ye fair enough! I can't wait to see what power you get!
Thanks given by:
Foxy-jim Wrote:Ye fair enough! I can't wait to see what power you get!
Same. Will be rolling at novatec when Chris organises it. If I get over 125 as it is now ill be happy
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Fair enough! I can't wait to see what mine gets!
Thanks given by:
It's all whether the ECU will compensate OK for the changes. If it throws a hissy fit, and goes nuts, it'll go like Chris' old 1.8XS did and make 99hp...

It's all down to the ECU, and those Sagems sadly are shit. The IAWs aren't bad at all, as are the Motronics.
Thanks given by:
Ruan Wrote:It's all whether the ECU will compensate OK for the changes. If it throws a hissy fit, and goes nuts, it'll go like Chris' old 1.8XS did and make 99hp...

It's all down to the ECU, and those Sagems sadly are shit. The IAWs aren't bad at all, as are the Motronics.

Exactly. I do think the ecu is the biggest flaw of the 1.8! I am going to bust out auto data later tonight and see what needs to be done to swap over to a motronic ecu. That way, I should be able to get it remapped. Also, if there anything like the motronics on the 16v 106, they do compensate really well for changes (although obviously a remap will be much better!)
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
This is why I like the little engines, can be easily modded up to a point!
Thanks given by:
Foxy-jim Wrote:This is why I like the little engines, can be easily modded up to a point!

Any engine can if you put your mind to it. Especially a pug one!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Ye I agree! Do love my little 1.4 though!
Thanks given by: