Piston protusion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Piston protusion
I was about to crack on and fit the head onto my block today, but I've just noticed that the 4th piston doesn't protrude from the block surface as much as the other three.

Pistons 1,2 and 3 all stick out about 1mm. Piston 4 does not stick out, it remains about flush with the block surface.

Am I right in thinking this is going to cause a big difference in cylinder compression and cause a rough running engine?

Can't think how this has happened because the pistons were all removed from the same block and the HDI rods were also a matching set.

Really hope its nothing to worry about! Any thoughts appreciated..
[Image: 20120704_212316.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Dan rang me about this, the only explanation I can think of is one of these...

• The crank is bent (highly unlikely, and would be a bastard to assemble/turn over)

• The conrod is bent (again it could be mildly bent but certainly not enough to shorten the length of it by 1mm)

• The shells are missing/little end bushings are f*cked/lots of slop

• The pistons are not all equal - and I suspect this would be the killer...

There is only 2 things it can be, just check these Wink
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I was hoping that I had been a tard and forgotten to put a shell in, but I just checked and sadly I'm not a tard.

Little end bushings are fine.

Rod doesn't look bent but I will take it out tomorrow for a good check.

As for the crank being bent, I bought the engine as a good running engine, and the rods I took out of it were fine, which would suggest it wasn't bent else they would have been mullered? It's not too hard to turn it over, but does get slightly stiffer when all four pistons are in line, that normal?

I'll also check the piston lengths, as this seems most likely to me as well. It would also be very strange though because the pistons are a complete set out of the same engine, and a whole mm shorter is a lot!

Cheers for your reply, I'll report back after further investigation.
Thanks given by:
Interesting problem here! Look forward to what you find. Best of luck chap Smile
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
I'm not finding it interesting! I look forward to getting it sorted though, thanks for the luck I may need it!
Thanks given by:
I could be way off here but are you sure the block surface is completely flat?
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
(12-11-2012, 12:58 PM)londondan86 Wrote: I could be way off here but are you sure the block surface is completely flat?

I'd think you'd probably notice if the surface wasn't flat. As if Piston 1, 2 & 3 are at one level, then 4 at a different. That would mean the surface is fine until number 4. I don't think a drop of 1mm is going to be likely, and would be fairly noticeable I would of thought! Might be wrong though...
PH1 306 XUD - 11mm VE, Big 'bine, TMIC = Plenty of coal, abuse, heatsoak and a power band of 4.3k - 6k = One shagged car.
[Image: sig2.png]
Thanks given by:
Really strange this, hope its something simple to fix dude!!
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Just helped take the rods out, number one Is definitely as bent as Louie spence
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
Ahh simple fix then just got to source a rod Smile could have been worse, glad it was an easy find guys!! Is louie spence really bent?? Jus seems happy haha jks
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Wow thats impressive bend!! Get photos. I would replace all... If they are from same block most likely all bent a little
Thanks given by:
As Dave said, replace the set, good job you noticed it, as that motor wouldnt have lasted 5 minutes! Alot would have glanced past it, so add some man points Smile
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Following advice darren gave me, I always check my rods prior to fitting by sliding a gudgeon pin through two of them, and sliding them together. They should meet flush at the little end and the big end.... if there is a gap at either then at least one of them is bent...
Thanks given by:
(12-11-2012, 06:21 PM)Dave Wrote: Following advice darren gave me, I always check my rods prior to fitting by sliding a gudgeon pin through two of them, and sliding them together. They should meet flush at the little end and the big end.... if there is a gap at either then at least one of them is bent...

Which is the case alot more often than people might first think!!! ^^
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Yeh I pulled a set of hdi rods out of a block, completely stock with 157k on it, and they were all scrap as being a fraction bent I didnt wanna risk it!
Thanks given by:
cheesy stock rods, the bigggest issue with all psa dervs!
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Christ, does prove that there was definitely a fault in the forgoing process when some rods were made...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Cheers for all the replies guys. Glad I've found what seems to be the fault, incredibly suprised the bent rod made such a difference up top though! I'll post a picture of it soon, because I'm not really sure how bent a very bent rod is!
Thanks given by:
This is a point ive been making regarding bending stock rods / decreasing compression making them safe again / loose power, then tuning it back up to compensate, then bending them more etcetc until they let go, this is how all xud's ive had have died, but people never believe me that bending the rod can acaully drop the comp enough Smile
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Well I'd certainly believe that it would drop compression, just suprised it brought the piston down a whole mm! I am quite suprised how far they come out of the block though, I know they are supposed to but surely they would touch the head!?
Thanks given by:
Head gasket is quite thick...u don't need much squish gap Smile
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
I just assumed the gasket would get squished to way under a mm
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post