Instrument cluster earth fault

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Instrument cluster earth fault
Following on from my thread about the oil pressure warning light being out (<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=731" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=29&t=731</a><!-- l -->), Ruan advised to check the oil pressure switch. However, now I can fairly confidently say that would be barking up the wrong tree. Chatting to the parts man at Peugeot today he suggested that it was an earth fault, now I think about it it makes sense. Below is a list of what is playing up:

rev counter
engine STOP light
Brake fluid/handbrake light
battery light
low fuel warning light

It is interesting to note when I press the brake pedal it makes the brake warning light go out. Now I know that if the brake warning light was to come ON when I pressed the brake pedal, that would mean low pads (if sensors were fitted). But I don't know why the light would be caused to go off when I press the brake pedal. I've checked the brake fluid level, fine, so it must be an earth fault.

So on to the tedious task of finding the earth fault. I guess the earth is built into the plugs so either the earth wire on the plug is faulty or the connector on the instrument cluster itself. IMPORTANT NOTE: Originally it was only the oil pressure light that wasn't working, but since removing the instrument cluster and replacing the bulb the other lights have started playing up as well. I also blew the fuse for the clock when slapping bulbs around if the battery connected if thats any help.

Is there a point on the instrument cluster that I can connect a wire to to earth it and see if it works that way? The wiring diagram looks like a map of the Tokyo underground to me. There are earth symbols on it, but I don't know how they correspond to the actual unit:

[Image: P1010003-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
id say check the earth cable from the gearbox to the chasis leg first simular symptons happened to me and that was the fault
Perv 106 1.4 xs First Pug Love - Scrapped
Perv 306 1.6 5 Door Hore - Sold
110bhp 207 Hdi Sport - Used as a Brake
173bhp T25 Ph1 Diablo Dturbo - Scrapped
Thirsty Bitch Volvo 850 Estate - Sold
51bhp Berlingo Nad DT Van - Sold
Slow as f*ck Dispatch Work Horse

www.prestige-auto-care.co.uk
Thanks given by:
They look fine bud:

[Image: P1010005.jpg]

Any other ideas? This is getting rediculous, I need to change the oil but don't want to do it without an oil pressure light.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earth locations pug306driver 2 765 22-01-2022, 04:19 PM
Last Post: pug306driver
  1998 306 Instrument cluster failure ashley744 5 2,115 06-05-2020, 08:11 AM
Last Post: Mighty306
Rainbow Gearbox earth connection part FIXED Welshy_Pete 7 2,408 22-05-2016, 06:29 PM
Last Post: P-Courty