Foobys' I'll fix your internet thread'

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Foobys' I'll fix your internet thread'
(09-01-2013, 05:56 PM)Niall Wrote: Quite comical really that this is THE ONLY thread fooby ever comments on!

That's because Fooby only knows about falling over, and the internet.
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
(09-01-2013, 06:02 PM)Tom Wrote:
(09-01-2013, 05:14 PM)Fooby Wrote: 6meg down seems ok, but it all depends on your line stats.

Try some of the below links, it should give you the information i need:

Line Stats (inc SNR stats)
http://192.168.2.1/ADSL_status_main.stm

Line Stats (error stats)
http://192.168.2.1/statsatm.html

Line Stats
http://192.168.2.1/adsl_status.stm

ADSL
http://192.168.2.1/adsl_para_main.stm

They all say "404 not found" none of them work Sad

Found it Fooby! Had to do a bit of googling, you have to log onto the router and get into developer mode and then type something and it tells you! So here we go Smile
adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
Channel: FAST, Upstream rate = 980 Kbps, Downstream rate = 6072 Kbps
Link Power State: L0
Mode: ADSL2+
Channel: Fast
Trellis: U:ON /D:ON
Line Status: No Defect
Training Status: Showtime
Down Up
SNR (dB): 4.2 5.8
Attn(dB): 52.5 28.3
Pwr(dBm): 0.0 12.9
Max(Kbps): 6444 976
Rate (Kbps): 6072 980

That's a pretty damm good connection given your line distance, i calculate that you should get around 4.5mb nevermind 6!!

(09-01-2013, 06:21 PM)samass Wrote:
(09-01-2013, 05:56 PM)Niall Wrote: Quite comical really that this is THE ONLY thread fooby ever comments on!

That's because Fooby only knows about falling over, and the internet.

Fu and the couch you rode in on.
Team - Inappropriate Footwear. Member 1 of 3.

1. Fooby's Car
2. Fooby's Hire Car(s)
3. Fooby's Company Pool Car

Team Self Improvement
1. Learn to Car
Thanks given by:
*rode. jus' sayin'
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
What could/would cause my wireless signal to keep dying off and not returning until after i restart the router?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Your router is a piece of shit?

and most likely its location, + a heap of

1. Fooby's Car
2. Fooby's Hire Car(s)

Team Self Improvement
1. Learn to Car
Thanks given by:
Really, its brand new rated for everything we do :/ The wireless signal keeps dropping out, and we loose adsl sync aswell sometimes just as and when, i've had to reset the router 4 times just tonight! I cant figure out whats happening when it dies, need some serious help here, really want to smash it up.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
well,

firstly thanks Niall for the post report, might not have seen the thread otherwise :p

and, i honestly cannot see anything wrong on the surface. Belkin routers are a-bit gash. What is the exact model number?

if you have a spare 30mins at some point i could teamviewer to your PC and look at the router logs/settings myself, see if i can pinpoint the issue.

1. Fooby's Car
2. Fooby's Hire Car(s)

Team Self Improvement
1. Learn to Car
Thanks given by:
I have more spare time than i know what to do with lol... Its when you have the spare time we'd need to discuss Smile
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Would my router from BT 3 years ago cause my internet to be absolute shit?

I reset the router like 5 times a day, after a reset its amazing for half hour then it turns to wank again. It's been like this for the past 3 months.
MG ZR TD+ - gone and easily forgotten
Fabia vRS PD130 - New daily
Astra H VXR - new toy!
Thanks given by:
Yep, its possible.

But after 3 years i'd be tempted to change your RJ11 cable (the telephone cable that goes from your router to the wall socket) as well as buying a new microfilter.

1. Fooby's Car
2. Fooby's Hire Car(s)

Team Self Improvement
1. Learn to Car
Thanks given by:
(23-01-2013, 12:18 AM)Fooby Wrote: Yep, its possible.

But after 3 years i'd be tempted to change your RJ11 cable (the telephone cable that goes from your router to the wall socket) as well as buying a new microfilter.
Think I might do that when the snow goes, the cable is abit worse for wear.

Cheers mate
MG ZR TD+ - gone and easily forgotten
Fabia vRS PD130 - New daily
Astra H VXR - new toy!
Thanks given by:
Pheobe, halp me. Kthxbai
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I tell ya if you all think your internet is bad take a looknat mine this is skys best internet package iv got on adsl....
[Image: Screenshot_2013-08-21-00-49-46_zps93abc69f.png]
I best go the other end as upload is faster lol.....iv contacted sky and aparently my max is 2mb bull shite cant get virgin as the council wont allow em to dig up road and bt want like £100 up front to swap...i guess im screwed either way unless some one knows a handy little trick to boost it or open it up abit more lop
(msg sent from hell)

If i dont c ya threw week ill c ya threw window.
Thanks given by:
(20-08-2013, 11:57 AM)Connor Wrote: Pheobe, halp me. Kthxbai

More info. kthxnoob

(20-08-2013, 11:52 PM)pugjohn306 Wrote: I tell ya if you all think your internet is bad take a looknat mine this is skys best internet package iv got on adsl....
[Image: Screenshot_2013-08-21-00-49-46_zps93abc69f.png]
I best go the other end as upload is faster lol.....iv contacted sky and aparently my max is 2mb bull shite cant get virgin as the council wont allow em to dig up road and bt want like £100 up front to swap...i guess im screwed either way unless some one knows a handy little trick to boost it or open it up abit more lop

Can you post up your router stats? you may have a line fault too..

Also, your wifi signal is low and you can never really get proper speeds through wireless. Although, saying that you should be getting more than what you are.

1. Fooby's Car
2. Fooby's Hire Car(s)

Team Self Improvement
1. Learn to Car
Thanks given by:
Well basically, my wifi keeps not working, it doesnt disconnect, it just doesnt get access to zee net
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Hi Fooby,

Just resurrecting an ancient thread... my Internet has always been diabolically slow. Today I rang BT and they told me my estimated speed would be around 6-8Mb, this is the stats page of my router:

[Image: 2014-07-0916_43_57-ADSLStatus_zps747c9f59.png]

As you can see, 791Kbps download speed is quite a long way off 6-8Mb! Is there anything obviously wrong with it?
[Image: 306Green5DrSig.png]
Thanks given by:
As i said to you earlier in this thread, you have a line fault.

Its getting worse as well since your line attenuation has gone from 61db to 64.5. Line attenuation shouldnt change as its based on line distance (unless of course you have really bad line faults)

- you are still on fastpath, you NEED that off and back on interleaved
- your output power is still broken, needs to be 19 at least
- you have some loss of signal, but that could easily be because you are on fastpath profile (which is much more susceptible to line distance)
- You have quite a few fast path HEC errors, again, you shouldn't be on fastpath

You really need to take some action on your ISP to get your line checked for faults. Have you phoned BT faults?

You also need to run though some basic tests (i'd say do these before you speak to BT)

- make sure your router is plugged directly into the BT test socket (you unscrew the faceplate on the main BT box and the test socket is behind there) This will disconnect any house extensions you have (in case its poor wiring in your house)

Do that and then report the stats back to me again we'll see if there is any improvement.

1. Fooby's Car
2. Fooby's Hire Car(s)

Team Self Improvement
1. Learn to Car
Thanks given by:
Sorry Fooby, completely forgotten that I'd posted in here Blush

I can try putting it in to the test socket, BUT - before the master socket is a splitter, which feeds the other sockets in my house. So, it's not likely to make any difference is it?

The splitter was in place before I moved in to the property - I haven't put it there, although it does seem wrong.

So:

Code:
Telegraph Pole: -------------------[SPLITTER]-----------[MASTER]
                                        |---------------[TWO SLAVES]

Phone and router are both plugged in to one of the slaves, so is it worth trying it anyway?

And then I will ring EE and ask to be switched from FastPath to Interleaved, presumably I need to speak to the technical team?
Thanks given by:
Potentially that splitter could be screwing the whole schebang up.. it doesnt take much to interfere with a line..

do you have a filter plugged into EVERY socket in the house? if not, you need one (even if there is no modem there)

you need to rewire the telephone cabling in your house thus...

Code:
[pole]-----[master]-------------[extension]--------[extension] (daisy chained)

with the master socket faceplate having the extensions wired into it (there is a section to wire it into the removable bit on the newer faceplates) which means that when the faceplate is removed, all of the extensions within the house are disconnected.

you can see the wire wired into the back of the faceplate of hte new style master socket here.. this faceplate plugs into the "master socket" on the wall mounted bit.
[Image: IMG_1353-crop.jpg]
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Exactly what Toseland said

Those connections before your master socket are 100000% your problem.

You need to sack them off and re-wire them into your master socket.

1. Fooby's Car
2. Fooby's Hire Car(s)

Team Self Improvement
1. Learn to Car
Thanks given by:
Just noticed this thread. I'm normally pretty tech savvy but thought id post here and see if there's anything I've missed. Recently been activated to fttc. I'm about half mile from the cabinet by the wire which is along the road I measured minus what I see cuts out above houses. Exchange is then about another half mile from there. I've been activated first as I'm connected to the same cabinet as a local Eco-enterprise park.

I'm with sky which is llu provider near me. I'm on the unlimited fibre package and was estimated 30mpbs do and 5mbps (from memory) BT also offered same speed estimate. Had the service a few months now and it peaks at 19/20mbps. Any time of the day or night. My mums friend who lives opposite gets a steady 30 as estimated. Been on the phone to sky who forever say there's a line fault and send a bt engineer out who check over everything and say all is fine. I call back say no change and it forever repeats like so. I live in countryside and I'm just in the fibre enabled catchment area. I'm happy with what I have now but wouldn't mind if I could get more. I was getting 6mbps down on adsl.

Few bits to note:
Connected to master socket (recently relocated by bt and told the line signal quality was fantastic) using the newer openreach design socket (no extensions off this line)
Tried different microfilters
Using the sky fibre with Vdsl modem built in router (black one)
Tested wired as only connection and wireless etc.
Tried a friends router too.
Constantly asked if they will change my profile (I believe they can do it and it would make a difference and it's all to do with the most stable connection.
Tried the test socket.

Any other thoughts just ask.
'01 Astor Grey HDi DTurbo 3 Door - Current/Daily/Does Everything I ask of it

Team disASTOR? Itwasntme

Thanks given by:
connecting wirelessly?

if so, try a wired connection to the router and try that..

also bear in mind that the connection you have to sky is one thing, the speedtest is also dependant on the load on the server/infrastructure past sky (out on the route to the speed test server you have chosen)

Try a few different servers,

i usually use (as well as a quick test)
maidstone, kent,

northern ireland,

and one over in germany somewhere,

How recently is recently? they base their estimates on location of you, cabinate and exchange. This does not include quality of the line in between you and the cabinate (old cable etc) or the conjestion in the area.

it also takes a few weeks (mine was stable at 38meg in 2 but had lower speeds to start with) as they start you low and the hardware moniters the line and adjusts it for best quality/speed ratio (ie itll start slow, looking for errors and slowely increase the speed until it starts to see errors then knock the speed down a little to where it was stable again)

i would suggest phoning them up and going through the issue, explaining that you are approximately 33% lower than the speed estimate and ask them to investigate. it sounds a little naughty but if you remove the modem plug a few times (when you arent using the connection) it simulates connection instability for their systems that are watching it, remember to do it a few times a day, random times, for random durations (few seconds to 20 or so seconds).
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
I've done wired already yeah. I've checked the router stats down and up and line noise etc. I've tried quite a few servers too across the uk and in other countries for interest.

About 2 months back we last had bt out having a poke around and reported all is fine. I'm thinking about getting sky back out here and I think I will pull the router a few times Smile I had a feeling it would be something that's out of my power and up to sky/bt to sort out just thought I'd check.

Here just a few stats I pulled quickly:

[Image: u6ypagy9.jpg]

Team disASTOR? Itwasntme

Thanks given by:
Oi, toseland. Does this thread say "Toselands internet fix it thread"? no, it doesn't. Gerroffff!!!

So you are synced at 17meg down and 4.7up. I dont think FTTC was 5meg up but hmm.

Can you get your line status? (line attentuation, noise DB margin etc)

The fluctuating speed that Toseland is talking about is DLM, (Dynamic Line management) that BT use. I cant remember if they still bother with it anymore.

1. Fooby's Car
2. Fooby's Hire Car(s)

Team Self Improvement
1. Learn to Car
Thanks given by:
As far as I've read on overclockers etc they still use dlm on sky etc but only in the first few weeks to determine stability and from request of the user.

[Image: vyma4u4u.jpg]

As you can see by the wan up time there has been a drop at some point I know it happens now and then but never have I noticed.

Team disASTOR? Itwasntme

Thanks given by:
I would have expected some upstream attenuation.

Let me do some research into FTTC speeds /w Attenuation speeds

There is someone who has done the math on Kitz but cba with that. I'll try and find a calc.

1. Fooby's Car
2. Fooby's Hire Car(s)

Team Self Improvement
1. Learn to Car
Thanks given by:
(14-07-2014, 12:53 PM)Fooby Wrote: Oi, toseland. Does this thread say "Toselands internet fix it thread"? no, it doesn't. Gerroffff!!!

So you are synced at 17meg down and 4.7up. I dont think FTTC was 5meg up but hmm.

The fluctuating speed that Toseland is talking about is DLM, (Dynamic Line management) that BT use. I cant remember if they still bother with it anymore.

Sky do use DLM to start off with..

Fooby, you got a forum to fix, i was just helping =D

my FTTC is 10meg up 40down and it is pretty damn close to that
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
(14-07-2014, 09:19 PM)toseland Wrote:
(14-07-2014, 12:53 PM)Fooby Wrote: Oi, toseland. Does this thread say "Toselands internet fix it thread"? no, it doesn't. Gerroffff!!!

Sky do use DLM to start off with..

Fooby, you got a forum to fix, i was just helping =D

my FTTC is 10meg up 40down and it is pretty damn close to that

Is that due to the package you chose? I know they do an up to 40 and an up to 80?

Team disASTOR? Itwasntme

Thanks given by:
(11-07-2014, 09:58 PM)toseland Wrote: Potentially that splitter could be screwing the whole schebang up.. it doesnt take much to interfere with a line..

you need to rewire the telephone cabling in your house thus...

Code:
[pole]-----[master]-------------[extension]--------[extension] (daisy chained)

(13-07-2014, 05:43 PM)Fooby Wrote: Exactly what Toseland said

Those connections before your master socket are 100000% your problem.

You need to sack them off and re-wire them into your master socket.

Whilst I agree, am I correct in thinking that I cannot do that myself? Not to mention, realistically it needs recabeling from the pole to my house so ideally I need to ring EE (my supplier) and get them to send an engineer out to fix the whole sorry mess?

But if that's the case, how do I prove that I didn't muck it up in the first place on "their cable"?
Thanks given by:
EE will charge a fortune for the engineer, however you can argue that the situation wasnt as it should have been installed correctly, i doubt they will be interested as they still have to pay openreach..

Technically the line is BT's responsibility up to and including the master socket

Realistically, there is no reason you cant do it yourself (just remove the extensions and connect the wires back up to each other), i would hesitate to say however that if it isnt working properly, then you will definately have to foot the bill for fixing it

i would ring round a few local telephone engineering places, quite often electricians will be able to help or point you in the right direction

Ahem fooby.... http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3625977987

Razorback_Rob

and yes, i am on the 40meg fibre, (they havent allowed the faster 80 or 100meg on the exchange yet as we only just went fibre)
/Toseland
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PC techy help... Slow internet Piggy 17 3,400 20-02-2016, 12:07 PM
Last Post: Toms306
  Total Prick From An Internet Forum bigcheez2k3 1 1,337 11-04-2014, 09:10 PM
Last Post: shokenore
  Internet browser problem padge 5 1,684 25-03-2014, 12:35 AM
Last Post: padge