Snapped my Cam shaft. :(

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Snapped my Cam shaft. :(
All started trying to fix an oil leak,

One of the carriers that clamp down on the cam & allow the the rocker cover bolts had threaded so the rocker wouldn't clamp down.

So I replaced the one with a new one, (when I did this I slackened off all three. And removed the one that was threaded , then replaced with the new one and clamped all three down)

Would the new onehave caused this,

Is it possible that I over tightened all three up ?

Would I be able to put a new cam in now, it's stripped back at the moment so would be the easiest thing to do, or is this going to be a new head / engine ?

Any input is appreciated.

Jake

[Image: D52DF591-6944-4158-8B53-B55E62CE4690-311...24775F.jpg]

[Image: 6077A9F8-4317-49E6-89CD-B2927919FA06-311...A18A28.jpg]

[Image: 8F4BFD33-3D7A-4A8C-B534-0B93320F4D8A-311...F1E3A7.jpg]

[Image: 8620167D-DFC2-4499-B965-7AD343A4F2EC-311...1CE546.jpg]
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
I can do you a hdi camshaft cheap?

:troll:
Thanks given by:
(04-11-2012, 05:08 PM)JJ0063 Wrote: I can do you a hdi camshaft cheap?

:troll:

FFFFUUUUU
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
JJ0063 HDi are twin cam Tongue give him both so he has 2 spares, Id be whipping the cambelt cover off see whats happened, possible that belt has snapped causing this, ive had belt snap and slammed one n stalled engine, and luckily it didnt bend any valves but broke in 3 places. so new belt and camshaft and it was ok.
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I'm pretty sure hdis are single cam CJ...

Also, bound to be something to do with the carrier/clamp Jake put on as the engine ran for like 30 seconds then went. Just baffled as to why/what would have caused it...
Thanks given by:
Belts fine btw. Just worrying about valves Sad
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
We're now on the way over... Dunno why but I've got a hammer..
Thanks given by:
arnt the cam carriers line bored while on the head?

if so a Carrier from a different head probably wont be bored on the same axis making a tight bearing fitting it to the wrong head
Thanks given by:
Christ...you shoulda got a PD, their cams are much stronger....oh wait. Confused

But seriously thats a shitter Jake! Hope you get it sorted ok. Smile
Thanks given by:
I heard they wear differently on each engine, so putting one on from another engine that doesn't match the wear on the cam it will break. I ripped the thread from.one of mine but didn't change it because of this happening.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
(04-11-2012, 05:36 PM)cully Wrote: arnt the cam carriers line bored while on the head?

if so a Carrier from a different head probably wont be bored on the same axis making a tight bearing fitting it to the wrong head

I'm not sure but the carrier is ally a d the cams cast so would have thought or would just shag the carrier.
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
(04-11-2012, 05:26 PM)Dan! Wrote: I'm pretty sure hdis are single cam CJ...

Also, bound to be something to do with the carrier/clamp Jake put on as the engine ran for like 30 seconds then went. Just baffled as to why/what would have caused it...

This is true im thinking of a total different engine for some reason haha

(04-11-2012, 05:36 PM)cully Wrote: arnt the cam carriers line bored while on the head?

I think this maybe true tbh, i remember when we swapped it we put all three carriers and cam in place as head place said they wouldnt be compatible
Thanks given by:
Cully's right, you should never replace them unless you change the lot for a matching set or get new ones

/you suck
Thanks given by:
(04-11-2012, 06:44 PM)Pugmarshall Wrote: Cully's right, you should never replace them unless you change the lot for a matching set or get new ones

/you suck

When you say a matching set do you mean carriers, camshaft and head..
Or just a set of three of carriers ?
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
Could have had one of my spare ones

Thanks given by:
That's cool Sam, think I know what I'm gonna do with mine now lol... Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Replace Cam and all three carriers that came with that cam, head should be fine its just the carriers are machined for the cam iirc
Thanks given by:
Did it snap to the left side of the cam you replaced?

If so it picked up / seized i expect, the bearings are center line bored, so the caps will only fit THAT head, not that cam, but that head...if its tight it can seize / brake, first time ive seen that tho, I change them out all the time on field cars as I dont give a shit, and havent ever had any issues, so interesting to see, and sad to see for you...tbh no solution other than changing the head is perfect now, altho I dare say another cam / cap could well be fine....
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
(04-11-2012, 06:55 PM)Jake Wrote:
(04-11-2012, 06:44 PM)Pugmarshall Wrote: Cully's right, you should never replace them unless you change the lot for a matching set or get new ones

/you suck

When you say a matching set do you mean carriers, camshaft and head..
Or just a set of three of carriers ?

The whole lot
Thanks given by:
You cannot just replace the caps... As mentioned, the heads are line bored, I.e. they're machined with the caps fitted, so if you change the caps, its likely they are different... And you will just mash up the head and cam...

If you're doing it properly, a new head now is the only way... You can try a new cam, but careful that you don't send swarf round the whole engine and damage everything else...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Hmm that's sucks as I have only just had this bloody head fully rebuilt Sad

Guess ill stick a thread up then.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  xud snapped timing belt tysonbully2k12 7 1,975 24-10-2015, 04:40 PM
Last Post: welshpug
  Max Fuel Screw Snapped! lazareth1 7 1,756 07-07-2013, 10:08 AM
Last Post: lazareth1