Hello, just joined and need some advice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello, just joined and need some advice
Hi, i think this is the right section, i have a 1.9d ac 306 meridian estate, i think its dw8 although that might be the gearbox, anyway, my pulley was making a racket last year so i replaced the pulley and the belt at the same time, about a week later the brand new pulley went bang and took my timing belt with it and you know what that means, anyway we got it fixed at an engine place and it has been fine since, but now the belt is ready to go, we heard it flapping about yesterday and its ready to snap, so it looks like i will have to replace the belt again, what i am worried about is it might have been my fault the new pulley went, i think i may have over tightened it, is there a proper way of doing it?
Thanks given by:
There is a bit of an art to tensioning the belt but i cant explain it.

It could be that your pulley has gone yet again and damaged the belt though. pattern replacement pullies are usually terrible quality and can go in as little as a few hundred miles.

When you do the belt see if you can get a solid pulley as thatll never fail ever again
Thanks given by:
what type of solid pully, is there a part number for it, which one should i earch for on ebay for instance
Thanks given by:
If you speak to lynx power engineering they do a very shiny billet one for about £90 posted. There is some solid ones on ebay for about half that, just search "306 solid crank pulley"
Thanks given by:
gonna stick the belt on tomorrow, any advice on tension? can you overtighten it?
Thanks given by:
Yeah if i remember right you can over tighten them, Have you got a haynes manual ?
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
General rule is 90° twist under finger and thumb pressure is correct
Thanks given by: