Bleeding cooling system without running car

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bleeding cooling system without running car
Is there a way to do it? I've got to take my matrix hoses off at the weekend to fit my gti6 manifold and to put the gti6 ones on but problem is, there will only be a manifold on there and no exhaust so I can't really start the car. Is there a way I can bleed the system without having to start the car?
Cheers
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
NiallHarper Wrote:Is there a way to do it? I've got to take my matrix hoses off at the weekend to fit my gti6 manifold and to put the gti6 ones on but problem is, there will only be a manifold on there and no exhaust so I can't really start the car. Is there a way I can bleed the system without having to start the car?
Cheers

As stupid as it sounds brim the header tank, cover the overflow pipe with a finger and blow into the filler hole as hard as you can making sure you get a good seal, while you (or someone helpful) unscrew the bleed nipples to let the excess air out, I know it sounds daft but it works as you are pressurizing the system in effect Wink
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
Rather than blowing I use a 2l bottle of coke filled with water and do the same get some one so squeeze it and open the screws

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk
[Image: sig-1.jpg]

106 Xud9 Conversion GtiD (2nd Engine Rebuild)
SOLD

Dan! Wrote:Want me to blow this one up for you aswel?
Thanks given by:
Diggers Wrote:Rather than blowing I use a 2l bottle of coke filled with water and do the same get some one so squeeze it and open the screws

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

See I tried this a few times before settling on blowing into the header tank, the end result with the bottle was always a wet mess over everything as it never seals properly into the header for me.............
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:
NiallHarper Wrote:Is there a way to do it? I've got to take my matrix hoses off at the weekend to fit my gti6 manifold and to put the gti6 ones on but problem is, there will only be a manifold on there and no exhaust so I can't really start the car. Is there a way I can bleed the system without having to start the car?
Cheers

As stupid as it sounds brim the header tank, cover the overflow pipe with a finger and blow into the filler hole as hard as you can making sure you get a good seal, while you (or someone helpful) unscrew the bleed nipples to let the excess air out, I know it sounds daft but it works as you are pressurizing the system in effect Wink

i use this method Big Grin does the job Big Grin
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
i fill it up, cover the expansion tank hole and then blow through the overflow pipe and while doing that undo the 3 bleed points until water comes out.
Thanks given by:
springs Wrote:i fill it up, cover the expansion tank hole and then blow through the overflow pipe and while doing that undo the 3 bleed points until water comes out.

Same as I said then just blowing into the overflow instead of the filler lol
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
Right will give it ago! If needs be I can probs run it for a small time but seeing as the manifold won't have anything bolted to it, don't want it getting too hot and burning something lol. Also dont think the neighbours will appreciate the noise! Haha
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Thats surely the hard way of doing it.

Way ive always done it-

Use a coke bottle cut the bottom off and use as a funnel. I wrap an elastic band around the neck and wedge it into the header tank forming a good enough water tight seal

Open all the bleed points.

Start filling

As water starts coming out of the bleed holes starting from the bottom one close them off.

The top one by the heater matrix involved filling the funnel up so it is above the header tank.

Then once all done, use you own method of pull the coke bottle out and don't get wet. Or just drain the excess out the bottom of the radiator.

Job Done
[Image: 306oc_zpsf2d249a4.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Fozzy Wrote:Thats surely the hard way of doing it.

Way ive always done it-

Use a coke bottle cut the bottom off and use as a funnel. I wrap an elastic band around the neck and wedge it into the header tank forming a good enough water tight seal

Open all the bleed points.

Start filling

As water starts coming out of the bleed holes starting from the bottom one close them off.

The top one by the heater matrix involved filling the funnel up so it is above the header tank.

Then once all done, use you own method of pull the coke bottle out and don't get wet. Or just drain the excess out the bottom of the radiator.

Job Done

Problem is this way I will need to run it up to temp to get the thermostat to open
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coolant Bleeding Using Brake Bleeder gti6man 9 3,706 05-05-2018, 08:44 AM
Last Post: DeeTurbo