ebay dturbo 300,000!!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ebay dturbo 300,000!!!
Theres loads of mk4 PDs on well over 150k now, most people don't bat an eyelid till they pass 200k now, they're getting on now lol!! BUT I wouldn't buy one over 150k that hadnt had the cams/lifters and the DMF done. Thats why I sold mine on 140(ish)k. Just lucked out with the blue one. I also wouldn't buy another PD...so I don't know know why you drag the golf into these arguments?

Yes XUDs are cheaper.........because theyre older, when the scrapyard is full of PDs in another ~5 years time, PD engines will be cheap...........and replacement isnt hard at all, easily done in a day, I disconnected mine in a few hours and dropped in out in just 15minutes!! VAGs really arent difficult to work on. With the bonus that all the bolts come out, havent snapped or rounded one yet! Complete opposite story on the 306 as theyre older and all bloody rusty and seized!!

But swapping an engine isnt something you can do at the side of the road and THIS is exactly my point. Yes, XUDs are cheap and fairly easy to fix...if you have a set of bolt extractors lol.....but the thing I want to avoid is major breakdowns. Did the golf ever leave me stranded? Nope, even with the exhaust valve not opening and the gasses coming through the headgasket it still drove 3 miles!! lol And when the turbo popped it still drove home. But twice I've been stranded by 306s.........so maybe thats why I see the 306 as less reliable than the golf?

Either way, the chance of me having another PD or an XUD is extremely small lol.
Thanks given by:
ok Tom, sorry, I didn't mean for this argument to start. I'm out Smile
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
Who's arguing? It's a sensible discussion about age and milage which the thread was about? Confused Smile
Thanks given by:
Y u no get along ninja
Don't worry about what I'm doing, I want you to worry about what you're doing
Thanks given by:
(25-10-2012, 08:34 AM)Toms306 Wrote: I also wouldn't buy another PD...so I don't know know why you drag the golf into these arguments?

(25-10-2012, 08:39 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Who's arguing? It's a sensible discussion about age and milage which the thread was about? Confused Smile

Smile

My point was more these discussions end in me having an argument with you about what constitutes reliability and economical driving, which I end up getting slightly exasperated by and you end up probably feeling victimised by me! I dunno, I'm more than happy to continue the debate, but I almost don't want to go there because again your opinions on reliability and build-quality are apparently very different to mine and, I feel, unrealistic.

I realise you aren't going to buy another XUD or PD. My point was more usin them as a comparison.

I disagree that in another 5 years there will be loads of mk4 golfs in the scrappers meaning parts will be cheaper. Scrappers are wise to how much parts on them cost for a start, so prices will not get as low as 'a shitty old french hatch'. In addition to that, I doubt you particularly would want to take the risk on spare parts from a scrapper on a car like that, due simply to the additional complexity of the engine, and the apparent fragility of the parts like the hydraulic lifters.

I don't dispute you haven't had much luck with pugs, but you never had an XUD iirc? Either way, I'm sure we've covered this before, but I would suggest it's all about checking the cars over properly before parting with the moneys. And unfortunately for you, I think you bought a couple of nails.

I disagree with your point in regard to the bolts etc. rusting. I haven't had any problems with any of my cars in that respect. The threads will corrode no more than a newer car, but as you say a newer car will obviously have had less time sieze in. Imo that's just a non-issue. You either get a bigger breaker bar, or pay the bloke at the garage an hours labour to do it for you, and accept you've put £45 or whatever more into the 'total cost of the vehicle to you'. Makes no odds really, you've still saved £2k over the price of a 'newer, more reliable car'.

In response to the 'engine change by the side of the road'. So by your logic, you should still be able to drive a written off engine? If I popped an engine, I'd pull to the side of the road and ring the AA recovery truck. S'why I pay them. Makes no odds at the end of it, you drove your golf home, I'd get to any postcode in the uk on the back of the recovery truck.
Again it also returns to my earlier point; if you don't do your research before you buy and buy a nail, you can't chalk it up to unreliability and blanket say all cars of the same make and model are crap. It's just not the case.
As an example, look at the 58 plate ford focus/fiesta that did 40,000miles with one complete piston missing! It had a con-rod just flapping about in the bore!

And I still don't follow your point about 'avoiding major breakdowns'. I repeat, my car did 45,000miles, mostly in a highly tuned state being driven pretty hard, and didn't miss a beat mechanically. I blew a turbo up running too much boost and still made the remaining 20miles to my parents house. I changed to a ko3, which squeeled, so I drove with that on all the way to Cornwall, stopping off on the way to buy another T2, and still didnt end up stranded on the side of the road!

Anyway, I fear this has ended up in a Tom-bashing. I don't mean for it to get personal, as obviously your personal experience in cars is going to affect your opinion and your judgement. But I feel it exceptionally unfair to judge these cars as unreliable when there are so many on this forum running massive boost on stock engines, and have been for AGES with few failures!
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
Im with sam guys . We know xud is full of win end of ! Big Grin

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Quote:46 SERVICE HISTORY STAMPS

very impressive!
Thanks given by:
Tom I think you have so much bad luck with peugeots. Out of the 4 engines I've completely dropped out and the 3 that I've stripped to a minimum of taking the head off, I've never struggled with bolts! Either you just keep buying shit cars or your talking out of your arse.

Oh and Tom there's lots of pd's in scrap yards. Probably more than xuds. You forget how many different cars use these shite pd engines!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Ed you need to chill out mannn, I'm really not trying to exasperate you! Our opinions are clearly different......but that is allowed, we don't all have to have the same opinion lol! Smile

Niall, yes I have bad luck with any car it would seem. But just to put in some perspective - I had the replace a hub on the 106 as the driveshaft was so badly siezed! I've got an annoying rattle on the HDi as one of the flywheel cover bolts was so old it just snapped trying to undo it so the cover is only held by two. I've git a split CV boot as the obly way to get the intermediate bearing back in was to hammer it as again, it was old and rusty, oh and I've had to have the brakes bled through the connections as the nipples are so rusty one snapped, 1 rounded and another siezed! I've stripped most of the outside of the golf now....only sheared one bolt out of the entire lot!

And there are almost no pd130/150s in scrappys, as they're mostly in higher end cars (leon cupra, golf gt, fabia vrs, Audi a3, ford galaxy....well ok most higher end ones lol, and are still worth fixing. But xuds aren't worth fixing for normal public. Tbh what I see most of is hdis! Mostly 406s though for some reason.
Thanks given by:
Ha ha Hom I was in no way saying the 306 is a classic car in my post above! Iam old! not feckin stupid ha ha, was just saying there is nowt wrong with driving an old car, why would age put you off? If properly maintained. You want all the toys but you lack the 1 thing to get a car with all these toys!!!

A fecking job and some money lol and what's the point in having a really nice car if it only goes to supermarket and the dump
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(25-10-2012, 06:34 PM)Jonny b Wrote: A fecking job and some money lol and what's the point in having a really nice car if it only goes to supermarket and the dump

Why not? If I did have a job I'd just be driving to and from that, so what's the difference? I do around 300 miles a week so why not have something 'nice'?

My dad only does 100 miles a week, if that, yet he still drives a big V6 when he could just drive a 106NAD in theory......
Thanks given by:
There was some research done a while ago that says that new cars break down just as often as they did 20 years ago, they are just far more complex to fix these days.
Thanks given by:
That may well be true Chris.......but of all the new cars in my family none have ever actually broken down - Fabia 1.2, C3 Picasso Auto VTR, Hyundai matrix 1.6 (x2), Hyundai i10 1.2, Nissan Micra auto 1.2 (iirc)..........hmm what do they all have in common? Yes they're 'low end' petrols....no turbo, no dmf, no dpf........so nothing to majorly break! Remind me again why I keep buying diesels.... lol

But I think FOR ME the thing is more 'feeling' something's reliablle, even if in reality its not. I was scared to go out in the 106 as it always felt like it was falling apart, but my mates still driving it and its still (almost) whole. Yet the Golf shat its turbo in my ownership, and after a few very cautious days I was back to trusting it again. I know it makes no sense to you guys, I can't explain my thought process either so you definitely can't, but if I 'feel' somethings more reliable, I've got a better chance of trusting it. Smile
Thanks given by:
Pfft, not even run in!

Check this out..

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/lounge/24690-...right.html
[Image: brokendown-1-1-1.jpg]

Dturbo GT2259s build thread;
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-3692.html

Daily driver; 330d Msport (doesn't blow up!)
Thanks given by:
CLICKY
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
My XUD has a fair few miles, had 240k on my old blue one, before i took the engine out to go in my diablo one, and it was on 126k when it had the engine, now its on 171k so mines close, and still hanging on, getting abused, survived 2 cam belt failures due to fan belt coming off and wrapping around crank, was running on oil for 10 seconds when turbo went.. so yeah pretty good engines TBH!
Thanks given by: