Manifold Bolts Problem

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Manifold Bolts Problem
Hi guys and girlies,

Wonering if anyone can advise me on what to do, the problem i have is my manifold is leaking and affecting turbo performance, i believe it to be leaking from the gasket inbetween exhaust manifold and cylinder head.

Now the main issue i think the bolts/cylinder head threads may have gone as a few of the bolts dont get tight and havent tightened all the way incase it just spins and falls out.

I know theres an option to put these helicoil sets in but that means getting a drill down the back and drilling it dead straight and tapping and inserting the coil.

What other options can you think of as want to get it sorted in next week or so ready for Dyno

Cheers CJ

right well just had a quick look and think its going to have to be helicoil option anyone know what size the manifold bolts are? and what helicoil set to get?
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Try running a tap through them
Thanks given by:
have you had same problem, going to get a tap set of a mate and give that a go but ordered a helicoil set just in case only cost £10
Thanks given by:
Not with the manifold/block, no. But that's usually my first attempt on any shagged threads!
Thanks given by:
If the threads are gone / pulled out, a tap isnt going to help...you cant make material appear, only move whats there already, so if its stripped it...without adding helicoils or something your screwed, but not worth bothering on xud, easier / cheaper to just swap the head imo...nice fresh HG same time job done...
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
I didnt think re tapping would do it but i havent span them yet so running a flat ended tap in may jus savour enough to hold it tighter till new engine built

just bought a helicoil kit cheap so going to give that a go this weekend and see how we go my other head is fine though so hopefully have it build up soon enough and swap.
Thanks given by:
I suggested running a tap through to see if the threads are just a bit bent/crossed Smile
Thanks given by:
Well ive found that there is roughly another 10mm of thread in the block and basically as a temporary fix ive used an old soclet set as spacers which allow me more thread to get into the block

Heres what i took out lol

[Image: 20121019_174134.jpg]

One spacer and bolt wasnt even on :S
Thanks given by:
i know its abit bodge but chemical metal may fix this? it says on the box it can be used for thread replacement! and i know that stuff is strong as fook! (french car means i use it all the time)

oh and it fixes cracks it engine blocks! LOL
Stealth 3door Dturbo - In progress
http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak...6076_n.jpg
Thanks given by:
I was thinking this as a last resort until i need to tap head, but managed with 10mm longer bolts and gripped some more thread as the bolts previous owner used onl went in 7 threads and stripped them so managed to nip up toght now Smile
Thanks given by:
Seeing as they're shagged anyway, chemical metal the studs in the head, you'll probably have to remove the engine to get the mani off, itll hold well until you need to lol...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Its actually held now Ruan Smile just going to helicoil this head when i swap engine over Smile
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Manifold bolts Darren123 2 923 21-10-2013, 08:36 PM
Last Post: londondan86
  Inlet manifold bolts Mike 5 1,169 07-01-2013, 09:09 PM
Last Post: Mike
  Inlet Manifold Bolts silverzx 14 3,305 24-08-2012, 10:07 AM
Last Post: CJ_Derv