XUD powered kit car

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
XUD powered kit car
(30-09-2012, 07:09 PM)Jenkosowls Wrote: T25 been a proven turbo on xud's iv currently got one on mine and seeing 160bhp last time it was rr'd can be laggy though!

160 would be really nice to have, v tempted by T25 ThumbsUp

(30-09-2012, 07:15 PM)Seb_Ryan Wrote: Yeah, all from a garage floor, and some chalk and a tape measure etc lol

You bought your chassis etc i take it as its a MK?

seen them use old bmw dervs aswell, not that much faffing around then either

Awesome! Yeah I bought my chassis/starter kit from MK. At the time I couldn't weld (hadn't even changed a wheel on a car before) but if I were doing it again I'd build the chassis
Thanks given by:
So it turns out I met Dave once before the best part of 10 years ago through a mutual friend, small world Big Grin He's been round a couple of times to the workshop which has been great fun, lots of XUD chat. ThumbsUp (your 306 is awesome btw)

Engine mounts finished, pleased with them. Engine back out again now to tidy up trans tunnel
[Image: 05102012683.jpg]
Thanks given by:
This is by far the best project on the forum! So much potential! You going to tune it once it's all setup and running?
Thanks given by:
Yeah that's pretty much the plan, get it running standard and MOT it then start to fiddle with it Smile I want to start at standard power so I can feel the power differences when I up the power
Thanks given by:
Progress has been quite good the last couple of weeks.

Chopping out the modified transmission tunnel to return it to standard. Clutch master cylinder position mocked up
[Image: xud13.jpg]

One half done, so good to have proper pedal spacing back!
[Image: xud14.jpg]

T'other side done too.
[Image: xud23.jpg]

Ground clearance is quite good, way better than when I was running a pinto engine.
[Image: xud24.jpg]

One of my handy XUD reference manuals milling the flip out of some metal:
[Image: xud27.jpg]

I've been bolting things back on the engine to check clearance. Everything going well so far, only foul is the turbo oil return line which will be easy to sort.
[Image: xud28.jpg]

[Image: xud29.jpg]

[Image: xud32.jpg]

This is the straight six petrol megasquirt loom:
[Image: xud35.jpg]

This is how much I've got rid of so far, already looking much smaller and managable. So glad to see the back of that!
[Image: xud36.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Great progress mate, keeping an eye on this!
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
Ground clearance will be even better if you swap that ally AC sump out for a steel ph1 one!
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
I've just had the car back on it's wheels and the ground clearance can't be reduced as the slave cylinder is so low. It's okay anyway, it was worse with my pinto and I never had issues Smile That said, if I did change to a steel ph1 sump then I could make a sump guard that is level with the bellhousing/slave cylinder. That could be a job to look at doing when it's on the road.

Since last update I've had all the brakes in bits, the pistons had all stuck due to long term storage in a damp garage. Compressed air had them out in no time, all cleaned up and reassembled now. Today I went to the scrapyard and got an alternator which will clear the chassis nicely by about an inch.

Turbo back on to check clearance against steering column, it clears by a good 10mm.
[Image: 2xud02.jpg]

Sunny day so pushed the car around outside with my friend Sam making car noises
[Image: 2xud01.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Nice project dude!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.. tom likes this(Y)
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
this is pretty epic! got a pic of what it will look like shell wise once finished?
Official Team Go-NAD fan club
Thanks given by:
How the hell did i miss THIS thread?!?!

That looks awesome mate, bet itll be epic to drive! Will definitely be keeping an eye on this project, looks to be absolutely HEAVING with WIN! Big Grin
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
cheers! lol @ the phrase "heaving with win" Big Grin

(20-10-2012, 05:27 PM)the milkman Wrote: this is pretty epic! got a pic of what it will look like shell wise once finished?

This is what it looks like with body panels back on
[Image: mk2.jpg]

[Image: mk1.jpg]

I'm changing from the wheels on the above photos. 17" are too big, don't handle as well, give a harsher ride and the tyres cost more. 14" ftw.
Thanks given by:
slap some clones on it Wink hahaha
Thanks given by:
That does look sweet I want one.
Thanks given by:
Absolutely foaming with win. Absolutely wet for this. Good man
Thanks given by:
keeping it flat black and white? i think something crazy like orange and green :d
Thanks given by:
Put some Peugeot wheels on, would be funny if nothing else lol
Thanks given by:
I always though 15's were cheaper tyres? :/
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(20-10-2012, 10:24 PM)the milkman Wrote: keeping it flat black and white? i think something crazy like orange and green :d

Yeah keeping it the way it is for now. I'm not a fan of the usual kit car colours of wheelie bin green + yellow, or power ranger schemes Tongue

(21-10-2012, 05:26 PM)Pugmarshall Wrote: Put some Peugeot wheels on, would be funny if nothing else lol

I put some peugeot wheels on a couple of weeks back, they fit but the offset is all wrong and they fould the wheel arches Sad

(21-10-2012, 05:39 PM)Tom Wrote: I always though 15's were cheaper tyres? :/

On camskill the 14" & 15" tyres are about the same for the standard sierra wheel tyre sizes. Free 14" wheels are definitely cheaper than paying for 15" wheels though Big Grin
Thanks given by:
chronic win. did you say this was based on a locost chassis?
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
It's an MK Indy chassis, which I believe is very similar to 'the book' locost chassis but with higher top chassis rails as it was designed to take the tall pinto engine (good for XUD too) So yes Smile
Thanks given by:
(21-10-2012, 05:39 PM)Tom Wrote: I always though 15's were cheaper tyres? :/

On camskill the 14" & 15" tyres are about the same for the standard sierra wheel tyre sizes. Free 14" wheels are definitely cheaper than paying for 15" wheels though Big Grin
[/quote]
Fair play then! Big Grin

Edit: Quote fail, cba to fix it lol
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(21-10-2012, 08:41 PM)Xud Missile Wrote: It's an MK Indy chassis, which I believe is very similar to 'the book' locost chassis but with higher top chassis rails as it was designed to take the tall pinto engine (good for XUD too) So yes Smile

gotcha. does look to be a very similar design to the locost one, specially with the way the rails are all set out. looking forward to seeing this on the road, should be pretty epic!
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
Great project mate, I considered something very similar with my Dutton Phaeton a couple of years ago.

Just wondering why you went for a PSA XUD as the thing that put me off was the fact it leans towards the drivers side of the car and had both manifolds and turbo well out on the drivers side too and with me being a big bloke that could of ment 150kg more on the drivers side of the car than the passenger side surely making it hideously unballanced?

Wouldnt you of been better with an upright engine and possibly one with manifolds on opposite sides of the head?
Thanks given by:
(22-10-2012, 10:20 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Just wondering why you went for a PSA XUD as the thing that put me off was the fact it leans towards the drivers side of the car and had both manifolds and turbo well out on the drivers side too and with me being a big bloke that could of ment 150kg more on the drivers side of the car than the passenger side surely making it hideously unballanced?

Wouldnt you of been better with an upright engine and possibly one with manifolds on opposite sides of the head?

I used the XUD as I like them, it was sitting there on a bench in my workshop and parts are cheap and plentiful at local breakers. I have no concerns with it being unbalanced. It used to handle well with this in it Big Grin (and that's when I weighed 30kg more than I do now and with a 6 branch exhaust instead of a single from a turbo):

[Image: 01092012627res.jpg]

I'm not going for a finely tuned track day weapon, just something for driving round the countryside and giving me a big grin Cool What engine have you got in your dutton?
Thanks given by:
He did what he does with most of the cars he owns. Sold it. or scrapped.
Thanks given by:
The standard of 2.0 zetec, type 9 and bike bodies.

Never had it running and sold it as a shift change ment I didn't really have time for it. Might get another soon
Thanks given by:
Cool project, will keep an eye on it Smile
Thanks given by:
Zetecs are nice, my friend has an Indy with a zetec on bike carbs and it flies. It's off the road at the moment whilst he is supercharging it, should be good when done. Also, turbo 320bhp zetec Big Grin http://youtu.be/rAe5As-xZV4

Today I mounted my radiator, i'm having it angled so there's room in the nosecone for the intercooler. I'll make an aluminum shroud to direct the air through it properly.

[Image: radd1.jpg]

Intercooler done. Radiator bracket is held on with bolts and captive nuts. I nearly welded it in place before realising it'd be a pain to get the engine out.
[Image: rad1.jpg]

Nice short distances from turbo to I/C and I/C to plenum!
[Image: rad3.jpg]

End of another day's work, gotta sort out a flywheel soon.
[Image: rad4.jpg]
Thanks given by: