New computer ordered :)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New computer ordered :)
that's what your mum said Wink
Team - Inappropriate Footwear. Member 1 of 3.

1. Fooby's Car
2. Fooby's Hire Car(s)
3. Fooby's Company Pool Car

Team Self Improvement
1. Learn to Car
Thanks given by:
about your arse?
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
And there's me mooching about on ebay for a cheap 775 quad core to bump the Core 2 Duo into the bin.

Swap you?
Thanks given by:
Ripp, I have a q9650 if you want it? Only been clocked very mildly. Pm me for details dude.
Member of Team Rather be Gay than Ginger

[Image: Untitled.png]
Thanks given by:
Well i've started to put this together. Started with (in my eyes) would be the hardest part, something which i've never done before. Fit a non-standard CPU cooler/bracket

So,

CPU

Silicon rubber strips applied to hopefully stop fan vibration/tapping /ed doe

CPU+memory in with mounting points affixed.

Heatsink attached with 1x Fan.

Both Fans.

Now I'll start work on the PSU installation as well as the case work.

1. Fooby's Car
2. Fooby's Hire Car(s)

Team Self Improvement
1. Learn to Car
Thanks given by:
Got enough heat paste on there foobs lol?

Epically jealous though!!!
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
yes darren :p

http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appmeth/...e_v1.1.pdf

see page 5 Smile

moff out to get some compressed air so i can clean up my old PSU, gti6 offence time.

1. Fooby's Car
2. Fooby's Hire Car(s)

Team Self Improvement
1. Learn to Car
Thanks given by:
Which version of windows is going on it? :p
Thanks given by:
(28-09-2012, 09:09 PM)cpikey316_ Wrote: Which version of windows is going on it? :p

get out..

Debian will be my main OS.. and for any games that dont play on wine/linux ... windows 7 will be used.

also, calling it a night for tonight. Opened up the case and saw this.. just for itself no motherboard:

So I'll get a nights sleep and figure that out tomorrow!!

1. Fooby's Car
2. Fooby's Hire Car(s)

Team Self Improvement
1. Learn to Car
Thanks given by:
(27-09-2012, 11:59 PM)Fooby Wrote: ok so the case may be a little on the large side...

(can of coke used for size reference)

That is a MIGHTY fine case you have there...

Pics for final build needed!!
“Someone get the foghorn, Kyles out in the Diseaseal again”

[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
lol @ the OS comments and the cabling!!
Thanks given by:
Well, since I was using my old PSU (presumed working) i decided that before i wire the whole thing in that i bench build it as such.

So, I did that and here are the results:

I was actually very nervous about doing this, as my old computer died a death (wouldn't post). I blamed the motherboard, although I do know that faulty power supplies can cause issues, I figured I was ok in my case.

Last night I took the PSU cover off to give it a clean and dust with compressed air, to find a bit of metal fall out... So after buying a whole new PC, it might have been that my PSU was faulty!! I inspected closely and determined it wasn't important and nothing looked blown/broken.

In the video above (for people who cba to watch it), it posted fine and behaved. So i'm hopeful the PSU is ok. If i do get any weird issues the first thing i'm doing is replacing the PSU.

So, let the build and cabling commence!!

1. Fooby's Car
2. Fooby's Hire Car(s)

Team Self Improvement
1. Learn to Car
Thanks given by:
Awesome mate, very cool Smile That's a Logitech keyboard I see there right? Which model is it?

I'm trying to decide on a mouse and keyboard for my new build. I'm using Corsair RAM and am likely to be getting this Corsair case, and am now turning into a Corsair whore as I like the look of and have been reading great things about their M60 mouse:
http://www.corsair.com/vengeance-m60-per...mouse.html

I'll probably get that to be honest, though I'm not sure on a keyboard just yet Smile
Thanks given by:
make sure you get the exact same ram I have, best stuff and (again make sure you get the same i.e. white) as its exactly the same timings but a lower voltage (meaning you could put it up to "stock" voltage and get more performance Smile)

The keyboard is old as hell, its a G15, I don't use it for gaming really (has loads of bind-able keys and other gay stuff that i cba with) but back when I ordered it, it was the only keyboard with backlit keys.

1. Fooby's Car
2. Fooby's Hire Car(s)

Team Self Improvement
1. Learn to Car
Thanks given by:
good stuff! I go for the dogpoo method of applying thermal paste instead of the line. I have to say that adding my watercooling heatsink was a lot easier than putting on the stock intel heat sink as the plastic clips were complete crap and resulted in the heatsink falling off sometimes when i moved the pc! Not me being a tool it literally was the crapest design ever!
Thanks given by:
Last time I built a PC was a few years ago and I found I had the same difficulty with the heatsink not clipping in properly. I'm hoping that with the new build it'll be easier!
Thanks given by:
Oh and I forgot to mention, I see you built most of it up outside of the case? Is that just personal preference?
Thanks given by:
its easier to attach CPU/Ram etc from outside the case. I've built a few PC's in my time and i've just found it easier.

The above was most of it out the case since i wanted to test it actually all worked before I spent this afternoon making it fit.

Its all built now anyway and it still works Big Grin wouldnt fit under my desk so a room re-arrange was done. Just going to install debian and i'll post pics up

1. Fooby's Car
2. Fooby's Hire Car(s)

Team Self Improvement
1. Learn to Car
Thanks given by:

[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Well as above, it's built

Won't fit under my desk

So some re arrangement was done.

1. Fooby's Car
2. Fooby's Hire Car(s)

Team Self Improvement
1. Learn to Car
Thanks given by:
lol Awesome.

By the way mate, not sure if you'll have seen but there is recent news of Steam being built for Linux! Left 4 Dead seems to be the main 'big title' that's making its way over initially, but from what I've read most of the games which are available on OS X will also be available when Steam comes out on Linux. Very interesting though...I was going to be using Windows 7 but I'm considering a dual boot solution
Thanks given by:
Yeah i know about steam and linux Smile

hopefully wont really need windows moving forward.

Open GL > directx

1. Fooby's Car
2. Fooby's Hire Car(s)

Team Self Improvement
1. Learn to Car
Thanks given by:
Such geeks

(but secretly i miss this shit)
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
"oohhhhhh thats shiny" FLOL Rofl
Thanks given by:
That's not a bad build Foobster, but I question people who build their own PCs. My craptop just died of death (6 beeps before POST=dead GPU) so I am gonna spec a reasonably powerful desktop system. I am gonna buy this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-I5-4670-...RTM1506421

And simply swap out the PSU for a decent one, add a GPU and use my old craptop's hard drive.

All in all it will come to about 600 quid for a 4th gen Haswell box. The reason I am going all out on the CPU is that my main games (Half-life 2, Supreme Commander) are very CPU intensive and it is far easier to replace the other components rather than the CPU.

So for the price of a pre-built bare bones rig I really can't see the point in building your own.
Thanks given by:
(29-10-2013, 09:00 PM)306Puggy Wrote: That's not a bad build Foobster, but I question people who build their own PCs. My craptop just died of death (6 beeps before POST=dead GPU) so I am gonna spec a reasonably powerful desktop system. I am gonna buy this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-I5-4670-...RTM1506421

And simply swap out the PSU for a decent one, add a GPU and use my old craptop's hard drive.

All in all it will come to about 600 quid for a 4th gen Haswell box. The reason I am going all out on the CPU is that my main games (Half-life 2, Supreme Commander) are very CPU intensive and it is far easier to replace the other components rather than the CPU.

So for the price of a pre-built bare bones rig I really can't see the point in building your own.

For the price of HDD's nowdays you might as well go SSD or SATA3 for a larger drive and sack off the old HDD.

As for GPU, depends how much you want to spend?
GTX570 can be had for relative peanuts nowadays and still perform fairly well. I could even be persuaded to part with mine if need be Wink
Thanks given by:
Should have gone AMD Big Grin Overclock madness
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
(29-10-2013, 09:08 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Should have gone AMD Big Grin Overclock madness

Used to be the case, had a phenom 955 BE, well still have it, but running in a sevrer, and that clocked like mad.

However 2500k will happily clock over 5 without much problem at all!
Thanks given by:
[Image: pinkman_science_bitch1_zps86916887.jpg]
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Errr sounds excellent.....but you forgot a floppy disk drive?!

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Computer gurus - crashing PC ginge191 8 1,870 24-02-2017, 08:14 AM
Last Post: MisterGTR
  Computer People - Is this a virus? Toms306 53 12,345 28-02-2015, 11:49 AM
Last Post: MisterGTR
  Computer help needed - Bios Daniel306 8 1,519 15-11-2014, 01:27 PM
Last Post: JamesPT