turboing my gti...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
turboing my gti...
WhooooooooooshBANG!
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Tbh Chris get on. I like your way of thinking. And would be interesting to see the outcome.

I'd hope an epic 2.2 at low cost Smile
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
(24-09-2012, 10:48 AM)ginge191 Wrote:
(24-09-2012, 10:01 AM)Niall Wrote:
(24-09-2012, 09:44 AM)ginge191 Wrote: Dumdum, i really envy your way of working with this, and (from what i understand) you're just going on instinct and going ahead, then dealing with the consequences/results after, and so what, if the ECU doesnt cope first time round and something goes wrong, great, you have the FACTS to share next time round, honestly, go for it, do what you want, put aside what SHOULD be followed.

I'm still interested in the OP's question and a resolution.

Popcorn

In all fairness Ginge, people only progress and learn from trying new things and probably breaking stuff. Get on Chris!

...is kind of what im saying, great attempt at tripping me up, again.

(24-09-2012, 09:44 AM)ginge191 Wrote: ... going ahead, then dealing with the consequences/results after ...

chris, i look forward to the results Smile

Would you chill the f*ck out? I was only saying that if this hasn't been done this way, just let him get on with it and he could create something that's pretty monstrous or fails after 2 miles. No one was trying to trip you up at all. Starting to get on my tits now thinking everyone's out to get you
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Where's that GTi6 Turbo build?

Looks immense. Helped massively by being able to weld / make his own exhaust manifold. That's the hard part. Plenty of room otherwise! (provided you re-locate the battery...)

With regards to greater displacement on a standard lump with lairy cams, that would be pretty fun for trackdays but I can't imagine it would be great every day. You're going to have to be 'on it' giving it all the beans to get any level of performance from it IMO. A turbocharger can offer that much, much lower down and will undoubtedly be much faster in the process.

Someone needs to whack a decomp. plate, XSi head (larger ports) and a MINI Cooper S supercharger (Eaton M45?) on a 1.8 XU.

Surprisingly awesome results from the same idea on a 1.8 Mazda MX5.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Can anyone find a dyno graph for a turbocharged 6 that hasn't had its innards molested?
Thanks given by:
Thing is I don't think anyone is stupid enough to run a Turbo GTi6 without playing with its' insides first. I think the compression ratio is way too high for it to work, shirley?
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
Thanks given by:
You can run up to around 230bhp without a decomp on standard internals, up to around 260bhp on standard internals but de-compd
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Wow really? What kind of boost could you run at to get that power on standard internals?
Thanks given by:
It would entirely depend on the turbo i guess, it's not just about the amount of pressure but the amount of flow, a gt15 at 20psi is going to be flowing a lot less than say a gt25 at 10psi
Thanks given by:
I'm listening....

Genuniely interested as Compression Ratio / Volume efficiency / Boost is something which I have always struggled to understand fully. I just read that anything over 9:1 CR is difficult to add boost to, as the risk of knock is significant. It was always an 'easy job' on the MX5 forums because standard CR was just 8.8:1 on the 1.8s so effectively bolt-on and standalone management....
Thanks given by:
Thats the 'problem' with the 6' as it's already a 'high compression engine' (for the age of it) adding boost without decomping just increases the stress on the internals
Thanks given by:
(24-09-2012, 02:32 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: Thats the 'problem' with the 6' as it's already a 'high compression engine' (for the age of it) adding boost without decomping just increases the stress on the internals

And thus the reason why the 1.8 bottom end is better for a turbo

/can of worms
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
But then you could just get custom GTI rods made to give them a shorter throw and have the benefits of the 1.8 shorter throw with the benefits of the bigger capacity
Thanks given by:
(24-09-2012, 04:07 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: But then you could just get custom GTI rods made to give them a shorter throw and have the benefits of the 1.8 shorter throw with the benefits of the bigger capacity

Yeah but for a 'budget build' like dum dums, thats not practical. You could buy 5 or more 1.8 bottom ends for the price of rods for a gti
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Fair enough, if you're doing it on the cheap and aren't planning on changing the rods then the 1.8 bottom end would be the better idea.. although if you were going through all that hassle, not forging the engine would just be stupid
Thanks given by:
(24-09-2012, 04:12 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: Fair enough, if you're doing it on the cheap and aren't planning on changing the rods then the 1.8 bottom end would be the better idea.. although if you were going through all that hassle, not forging the engine would just be stupid

Depends on the budget tbh. In a ideal world, a 1.8 bottom with forged rods and pistons would be win but obviously thats expensive.
Personally id prefer to have the benefit of a square engine over a under square with a slightly bigger displacement. (something i will be starting soon!)

Im genuinely interested to see how you get on with this dum dum!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
all irrelivent for me now since my bottom end started knocking this afternoon Sad
Thanks given by:
ahhh so the 1.8 is the right car to have Wink
Thanks given by:
Shame they're so slow in standard form then really Wink
Thanks given by:
...anyone have an answer to initial question anyway? or have it missed it along the lines ? :/
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
About how to top turboing a 6'?
Thanks given by:
(25-09-2012, 03:06 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: About how to top turboing a 6'?

No.. about the question OF the thread

(21-09-2012, 09:45 PM)brake-dust Wrote: what would top me doing this? only problem i cant overcome in my head is the map sensor..... any suggestions?? Dodgy
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
What about engine swaps? If you want turbo power, why not look at the 406 SRI 8v Turbo lump? Suppose to be good for 200bhp fairly easily.

Or a C20LET? Or a B204? Really think outside the box Wink
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Because the 406 lump is heavier than a 6' engine and makes less power as standard too, have a feeling they don't flow very well too..

A saab turbo engine would be an interesting swap... can't see it being that much of a pita either if it was run on aftermarket management.. hmm...

EDIT: so the b204 is a saab engine...... Tongue
Thanks given by:
(25-09-2012, 04:01 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: Because the 406 lump is heavier than a 6' engine and makes less power as standard too, have a feeling they don't flow very well too..

A saab turbo engine would be an interesting swap... can't see it being that much of a pita either if it was run on aftermarket management.. hmm...

EDIT: so the b204 is a saab engine...... Tongue

The 4 pot ones are physically much bigger than any pug 4pot ive seen. Would be truely epic but would be alot of fabrication
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
I've seen one go into a nova and a 306 bay is much bigger so i can't see it being that bad, as you say though, a lot of fabrication work..
Thanks given by:
Ah thats not bad then. I do remember looking at my old one though and thinking "f*ck me thats big for a 4 pot!" Nice thing with them is, there was guys on the saab forums running over 500bhp on standard internals and not much work to get it to that!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
I know!! I reckon it would probably be cheaper to get one of those saab lumps fitted in a 306 and running 400bhp than it would to get a 6' lump to 400bhp, if you're a bit handy with a welder anyway..
Thanks given by:
(25-09-2012, 04:48 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: I know!! I reckon it would probably be cheaper to get one of those saab lumps fitted in a 306 and running 400bhp than it would to get a 6' lump to 400bhp, if you're a bit handy with a welder anyway..

yeah probably. The old aero lump (cant remember the number now), Elkparts used to sell a new ecu program for it that gives you almost an extra 60bhp just from that. They had a TD04 on of some variety which was running very low pressure for what they could take. Only problem is there bloody heavy

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Saab-SE-Hot-AE...177wt_1212

expensive as well by the looks of things!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
About 140kg.... that is a lot, but tbh if you had 400bhp i don't think you'd care lol, saying that though.. it could upset the handling a bit, but if it was going to be custom fabbed then you could probably have it sat a little further back
Thanks given by: