Handbrake Failing the MOT

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Handbrake Failing the MOT
Put a Dturbo with gti rear beam conversion in for MOT apart from failing on smoke it also failed on handbrake (little to no effort both sides) I thought the car would be fine as before MOT i parked the car on my drive(a hill) and it held no problem i even checked individually and both wheels didn't turn.

I checked this evening and both the levers in the rear callipers turn as they should, what else should i be checking, the handbrake only goes up 4 clicks.

Thanks
John
[Image: 306oc_zpsf2d249a4.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Give the pads and disc a sand to give a rough surface. Worked for me in the past
TD04 11mm Sedan, now 2.1 vnt

Sedan Project http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-5763.html

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
China 5dr '6 Death by cambelt failure
Matt White HDI estate Death by wiring
Sedan Dturbo aka triggers broom
Diablo estate Dturbo Living dead
Thanks given by:
Will give that a go thanks

Anyone else got any ideas?
Thanks given by:
What have you done with the load compensator?

I'd be inclined to take the rear brakes apart, clean and grease the piston and sliders, and ensure the pads and discs are healthy. 306 handbrakes are borderline pass at the best of times.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
I bought the car with the rear beam already converted, i havnt looked into the load compensator, but i dont recal seeing it but i will be able to confirm that tommorrow, but i was under the impression the handbrake doesn't require it?

As for the discs and pads i would say they aren't the healthiest as the car has sat for while but a majority of the surface rust has come off with a short drive, the brake efficiency was 56% on the pedal. You think it may need to have the discs and pads replaced.
Thanks given by:
As I said in my text, new pads/discs and pads, clean and re-grease sliders and make sure everything's free really... Mine epically failed on brakes as I knew it would, including handbrake. Replaced discs and pads all round, found one very seized slider. Sorted that and greased them all up and it was all good Smile
Thanks given by:
Off to get some new discs and pads tomorrow it looks like then. This car seems to be becoming expensive Sad
Thanks given by:
Should do the job... Shouldn't be too expensive either really, I'd say no more than £40 all in. Be worth it when it's done though, white phase win Smile
Thanks given by:
Turns out i should look more carefully at the pads next time, the inner ones were padless well pretty much.

I have since replaced the pads but while they were out i checked the sliders were all ok and everything seems ok, and handbrake is marginally better than before, even though before im sure it was better than my hdi.
Thanks given by:
Thought it might be the pads. Smile

I was just curious what had been done with the load compensator, not that it had involvement. Smile
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
Oh yes i looked for that as well, and there isn't one, so i can only assume the beam was ph3 and the abs sensors have had the wire cut off beings as the car has none.
Thanks given by:
everyone apart from me seems to rip the handbrake up and not press the button in. basically i like my handbrake to be on when it reaches about 30 degrees of travel. ones where it sticks up vertically is just stupid. Can you not like tighten up the handbrake massively for the MOT and then loosen it off afterwards to save wearing the pads? I presume when they do an MOT they only lift it up a certain number of clicks?
Thanks given by:
(20-09-2012, 12:37 AM)SRowell Wrote: everyone apart from me seems to rip the handbrake up and not press the button in. basically i like my handbrake to be on when it reaches about 30 degrees of travel. ones where it sticks up vertically is just stupid. Can you not like tighten up the handbrake massively for the MOT and then loosen it off afterwards to save wearing the pads? I presume when they do an MOT they only lift it up a certain number of clicks?

They pull it till its fully on (ideally the wheel should lock) and check the braking force to each wheel.

Also, people that don't press the button annoy me - wears out the ratchets so quick, I've had to replace 2 or 3 in my 306s due to previous owners!

Also lol at that handbrake in the 1.4 we looked at.....that definitely didnt have the 16% of handbrake force needed to pass.
Thanks given by:
(20-09-2012, 07:36 AM)Toms306 Wrote:
(20-09-2012, 12:37 AM)SRowell Wrote: everyone apart from me seems to rip the handbrake up and not press the button in. basically i like my handbrake to be on when it reaches about 30 degrees of travel. ones where it sticks up vertically is just stupid. Can you not like tighten up the handbrake massively for the MOT and then loosen it off afterwards to save wearing the pads? I presume when they do an MOT they only lift it up a certain number of clicks?

They pull it till its fully on (ideally the wheel should lock) and check the braking force to each wheel.

Also, people that don't press the button annoy me - wears out the ratchets so quick, I've had to replace 2 or 3 in my 306s due to previous owners!

Also lol at that handbrake in the 1.4 we looked at.....that definitely didnt have the 16% of handbrake force needed to pass.

yeh the bang when you pulled i up past 60 degrees was very amusing! and then when it was on it only worked on one wheel! lol
Thanks given by:
I told the mechanic just to pull the handbrake harder and not to worry about cables and it has now passed Smile

I saw them test it and it wasn't how i thought they would do it, i though they would pull the brake up and then turn the rollers, but they pulled the handbrake after the rollers had been started.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Failing shock? Wasson here? Tom 14 3,199 10-01-2014, 08:56 PM
Last Post: Tom