1.6 8v to gti6 conversion ??

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1.6 8v to gti6 conversion ??
Basically can some one give me a list of parts I will need please I've given myself a year or two to get this done and on the road all I want is list of parts I will need to make it run :-) cheers
Thanks given by:
Engine
Engine bay loom
Dash loom
Gearbox
Driveshafts
Suspension
Front brakes
Rear gti6 torsion bar and shocks
Engine mounts
Subframe
'6 gear stick
Could do with upgrading rad

Think there is more, but can't remember lol

When I looked into doing it, it was cheaper too buy a '6 with a rear ender or something of the like and use it as a donor. Or buy a '6 as with engine swap you will have to declare it to DVLA an insurance will be higher with the engine change. Would be better to get a '6 and have the standard engine insurance
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Probly best to buy a acident damaged 6 and ra*e it for all the parts you need.
Thanks given by:
Remember if you're putting a 6' gearbox on it then you'll need the steering rack too
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Again as sort of pointed out with the money you would end up spending on the individual parts it would be cheaper to buy a 6. You will save yourself a whole lot of hassle with a lot of people.
Thanks given by:
You could drop in a 1.6 16v 106 GTI/Saxo VTS engine in for a couple of hundred quid max, bit of tuning and you've got an easy 140bhp an far better mpg than a '6 engine, could be a cheaper option. You only need the engine and part of the loom...
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Just buy a 6. Would be much cheaper
Thanks given by:
The problem is I've manged to get another 5 door pharoah gold pug for parts on my hdi and I've kinda grown attached to it lol plan was to scrap it when I've raped it for parts but I'm a little gay for it now and want more power out of it as the 1.6 has done 152k and is very tired :-( might vts it that is a good option what part of the loom will I need ???
Thanks given by:
I'm pretty sure just the bit that goes into the ECU....
Thanks given by:
If your looking for a gti-6 I saw one on Ebay earlier. It was in coventry if your close, it looks ok from the pics and is currently £500. If I had the money I think i'd go look at it, but I shall have to wait a while til i get a gti-6. Could be worth a look coz you'll easily spend more trying to convert another car to a 6.
Its Ebay item number 330773412394.
Thanks given by:
1.6 16v it - No one's done it yet, something I'd love to do one day if I get a chance...

Picasso BE3R/BE4 gearbox and rear intermediate bearing, any 306 XU Driveshafts, pretty much use a 306 1.6 8v loom and bastardise it a bit... Or just use parts off it to make the 106 loom fit... Wouldn't be too hard to do as long as you had diagrams.

Great engine, it's a more modern design than the GTi6... They'll hit 155hp with lairy cams on stock engine (i.e. no pocketed pistons) if it's remapped and be a significantly better drive than the 2.0 16v, it's just a more lively, peppy engine - not as "big chested" and torquey as a GTi6...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
I've decided to tidy it up and just run it for my mrs for abit cos ultimately I want a golf g60 have done since I was a kid so I'm gunna go ahead and do it but thateans selling both my 306's and as I'll want top dolla I'll have to get them looking and running mint :-)
Thanks given by:
(21-08-2012, 09:08 PM)Ruan Wrote: 1.6 16v it - No one's done it yet, something I'd love to do one day if I get a chance...

Picasso BE3R/BE4 gearbox and rear intermediate bearing, any 306 XU Driveshafts, pretty much use a 306 1.6 8v loom and bastardise it a bit... Or just use parts off it to make the 106 loom fit... Wouldn't be too hard to do as long as you had diagrams.

Great engine, it's a more modern design than the GTi6... They'll hit 155hp with lairy cams on stock engine (i.e. no pocketed pistons) if it's remapped and be a significantly better drive than the 2.0 16v, it's just a more lively, peppy engine - not as "big chested" and torquey as a GTi6...

I thought the 1.6 16v would just drop in on the existing shafts and mounts? Isn't it basically the same as the 1.6 8v?
Thanks given by:
Yeah, but the tu box is shit, and would mince itself the moment to try and up the power any, better sticking a be3 box on it for durability
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
The 106 GTI box is plenty strong enough to handle tuning, even turboed 106s use that gearbox with no real issues...
Thanks given by:
But as you said yourself, they are short as feck.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
I thought the gearbox was the first to go on boosted builds? Always putting cogs through the casing? Or is that only on the uber big power ones?

Thanks given by:
(23-08-2012, 07:29 AM)samass Wrote: I thought the gearbox was the first to go on boosted builds? Always putting cogs through the casing? Or is that only on the uber big power ones?

Iirc Colin never had any issues with his 400bhp one. Think a lot of it is mechanical sympathy. F you drive like fooby everywhere, naturally it won't last long!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I thought the first thing it did after no less than 30 miles was to spit the contents of it gearbox all over the dual carriage way

Thanks given by:
(23-08-2012, 07:12 AM)Ruan Wrote: But as you said yourself, they are short as feck.

True, but horses for courses. It's great down a back road, just shit on the motorway. Depends what you wanna use it for really.

(23-08-2012, 07:37 AM)Niall Wrote:
(23-08-2012, 07:29 AM)samass Wrote: I thought the gearbox was the first to go on boosted builds? Always putting cogs through the casing? Or is that only on the uber big power ones?

Iirc Colin never had any issues with his 400bhp one. Think a lot of it is mechanical sympathy. F you drive like fooby everywhere, naturally it won't last long!

Inability to heel and toe due to inappropriate footwear?
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Turbo conversion gti6 kentiiboii 36 7,588 10-01-2015, 09:13 PM
Last Post: fatlapit
  1.8 to gti6 conversion jasonf 4 1,547 24-03-2014, 08:29 PM
Last Post: Matt