idle and constant speed problem getting worse

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
idle and constant speed problem getting worse
tbh all i can be 100% on is the fact that its overfueling like a be-hatch
Thanks given by:
It'd be overfuelling by just over 10% with a 4 bar compared to a 3bar
Thanks given by:
i went out and popped the vacuum hose off of the fpr, i could smell fuel without a doubt. that combined with it being a 4 bar fpr, would that cause enough overfueling to affect running?
Thanks given by:
It could make hesitant down low but would probably be okay elsewhere bare a few hp, however, it could definately be enough to soot the plugs up and cause misfires.
Thanks given by:
well, on my way out to the motor factors, every time i came to a stop it was shuddering like crazy you could feel it quite violently through the car.

got to the motor factors, picked up the fpr and fitted it straight away. the vacuum hose stank of fuel, quite strongly which i think shouldnt happen.....

the bottom of the fpr was spinning freely. might crack it open later just to have a looksie whats inside it.

drove home, came to a stop a few times and it didnt do it again, just the occasional bobble which im told is normal for these engines. is this correct?

got home, whipped the vacuum hose off and it didnt even slightly smell of fuel. so not only was the old one wrong, it was busted (i think)

currently got the battery terminals off to do an ecu reset. my thinking is that if the ecu is still trying to lean down the mixture, it still might not be running right so it cant do any harm to reset it Big Grin

fingers crossed
Thanks given by:
Fingers crossed matey Smile Sounds like you've cracked it though Smile
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
took it for a drive after putting the battery back in and it does feel better. the rough idle is still there, but its gone from "f*ck me its going to die" to a bit of a shudder if you get what i mean. a blip of the throttle makes it ok again for a few seconds before it comes back, but nowhere near as bad as it was.

i am told that all of them do run a little rough compared to modern day cars, but ive got nothing to compare it to
Thanks given by:
does it idle better when warm?

My old one always had a bit of a rough idle when cold for the first few minutes. I think it was the coils in the end!

bear in mind you probably want to change the spark plugs now it's not pissing fuel at them!! That should cure it...
Thanks given by:
no it idles rougher when warm. i took it up the dually, idling fine at the roundabout then 10 mins in traffic it started doing it.

blast back up the dually the other way, get to another roundabout and idled fine.

whipped the plugs out, they look like this

[Image: IMAG0022.jpg]
Thanks given by:
diagnostic LOL he tried to say the idle was totally normal and my clutch was on its way out...conveniently they could replace it then and there for £450 +VAT.....

i invited the guy outside, put the car in second with the handbrake up and the car moved without a hint of clutch slip which prompted much umm and arrr before i told him to get the f**k out of my car....

he also mentioned that my crankcase breather hose is cracked...would that cause this type of issue?

i went to somewhere i actually trust (he has alot less diagnostic equipment to use) and he wants to check the timing isnt a tooth retarded which he wants to to on friday afternoon....
Thanks given by:
FFS tell him to be careful with the timing... you DONT want bent valves...
Thanks given by:
(22-08-2012, 12:45 PM)Ed Doe Wrote: FFS tell him to be careful with the timing... you DONT want bent valves...

Ed knows all about those
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
I never saw that comment coming....
Thanks given by:
Big Grin

she never saw me coming either... ninja
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
i know mate, thanks for the tip. thats why im getting a garage to do it. its not tapping now, if its tapping when its done its their job to fix it.

thing is, i know im sorta clutching at straws but with the amount thats already been done, there isnt much it could be
Thanks given by:
I thought you said it was almost completely fixed now? Just a slight judder at low rpms/idle that was fairly standard for a '6?

Mines a little lumpy at idle when warm, I wouldn't worry about it so much!
Thanks given by:
its not so much that mate, it feels like its doing the same thing holding constant speed which is what im more worried about....and if you scroll up youll see the colour of one month old spark plugs.

its still comes up with fuel adaptation out of range when its hooked up so if its running wrong i dont want to destroy the engine. if there wasnt a fault code i wouldnt be so worried
Thanks given by:
Yeah but have you changed the plugs since changing the fpr? If you sooted up the plugs by dousing them in fuel, they wont be as good as new ones now you've sorted that issue...

Do you have a non-oem exhaust on it? If so is it properly loud? If so the 'missing' is highly likely to be down to the reduction in back-pressure causing mild pops and coughs.... which is entirely normal! My old '6 felt very jerky at low rpms on light throttle when I had my old exhaust on it cause it was a proper straigh-through with very little baffling...
Thanks given by:
mines got a decat, a standard centre and a motor factor backbox on it.

you can hear a marked change if you leave it idling long enough, the misfire/judder/unsteadyness isnt constant
Thanks given by:
Vacuum leak from somewhere? Push your foot down really hard on the brakes and see if the idle settles... I drilled a hole into the back of my brake servo once to run a cable for my amp.. made the idle go nuts lol
Thanks given by:
theres no vacuum leaks i can tell you that much lol. the engine bay has been covered in brake cleaner makes no difference at all Sad
Thanks given by:
Always worth asking haha seems you've exhausted everything else :p
Thanks given by:
Any updates on this? Got any better?
Thanks given by:
it seems to be ok now. found a blockage in one of the crankcase breather hoses, a few more pikey style bodges including the air temp sensor being sealed in with silicone in the same way the inlet manifold was.....

it was hooked up to pug diagnostic which found a fuckton of fault codes, all were reset and a software update was done. since then no fault codes have come back so i think its solved. feels better to drive, still got a little lumpiness but im told thats normal with these
Thanks given by:
oh nice one mate, good to hear it's all prettymuch resolved now Big Grin
videos of it running or it didn't happen Tongue
Thanks given by:
Nice to see you have finaly sorted it out mate.

Thanks given by:
its good news and bad news lol. good news is it runs and goes very well, bad news is thyat if i cant get 40mpg from in on a run, itl have to go Sad
Thanks given by:
(26-08-2012, 10:41 PM)Popeye_6 Wrote: its good news and bad news lol. good news is it runs and goes very well, bad news is thyat if i cant get 40mpg from in on a run, itl have to go Sad

BOOOOOOOOOOOO Censored

Thanks given by:
So the news can be summarised as follows; "it works now its going"

no way will you get 40mpg from it, hate to break it to you...
Thanks given by:
meh, guess il enjoy it while i can then maybe part ex is for another derv lol
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation High idle problem! PugRory 5 1,454 30-05-2014, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Niall
  SOLVED:Idle Problem Eeyore 77 13,397 03-05-2012, 08:36 PM
Last Post: Toms306