How to tell if a Bosch pump Good

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to tell if a Bosch pump Good
Ok so i have bosch pump unknown condition, before i put it on and do the cambelt are there any checks i can do to see if its all good?
[Image: 306oc_zpsf2d249a4.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I'd check to see if it's been modified before. Max fuel, lda etc
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
First time every holding a bosch, what are the obvious signs its been messed with? I assume i have to turn the max fuel and see how far it moves?
Thanks given by:
I really have no idea. I don't do diesel. If go look in the guide section about modifying a bosch pump. Look and see what they do/turn/hit and see if that's been tampered with on yours
Thanks given by:
Ask Ben Jay. He's very good with his ol Bosch pumps! :-)
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
if its untouched it will still have anti tamper markings in yellow and the fuel screw will have a metal crimp on the thread
Perv 106 1.4 xs First Pug Love - Scrapped
Perv 306 1.6 5 Door Hore - Sold
110bhp 207 Hdi Sport - Used as a Brake
173bhp T25 Ph1 Diablo Dturbo - Scrapped
Thirsty Bitch Volvo 850 Estate - Sold
51bhp Berlingo Nad DT Van - Sold
Slow as f*ck Dispatch Work Horse

www.prestige-auto-care.co.uk
Thanks given by:
Worst thing to worry about is if the pumps been stood dry it'll rust the insides
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
As Dave said, really if its been stood, id want to open it up before I bothered fitting it...nothing worse than a stuck vane pump after fitting it....
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Basically as Darren said, you'l want to open it up and check its insides arent rusty, to do this just check out one of the many 'gov mod' guides, and that will talk you through how to open it up Smile
Thanks given by:
Thanks guys, think i will be opening it up and checking it out, im going to hope if it is rusty i can give it a derust
Thanks given by:
Tbh even if its not rusty, ive had ones with bad pumps...infact rust is often only a minor issue / they work fine anyway, it really comes down to if the vanes are stuck / gov weights are tight, either of which will screw it up totally.
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Ok so i didn't know what the vanes were, this is a bit unknown territory for me.

So a quick search and i find this:

http://www.dieselbombers.com/1st-generat...ation.html

May be helpful if anyone in future reads this.

Im going to assume that if things are stuck its not worth trying to rectify it.
Thanks given by:
For sure, its very hard to ruin a pump totally from standing, the rust has to get pretty bad first...its much easier to ruin it by running it dry!
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Lets hope for the best, i will have a go at taking it apart and see how bad rust is if there is any, i know when i moved the pump a little diesel did leak out but not much.
Thanks given by:
If you moved it and some came out, chances are its totally fine you're just worrying. When its dry it is literally dry.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Im worrying because didin't wanna fit it all and find its duff Sad

I still need injectors, i know of someone breaking a fiat Scudo 1.9td but im unsure if its got the same as 306 pump or the 406pump as if its usefull to me then i may get it off him
Thanks given by:
When i got my pump though it was full of diesel but when darren fitted it the vane pump was seized up and had to be taken off and freed up then put back on again....
Thanks given by:
I'd fully remove max fuel screw, if the end is rusty then avoid, or take a risk.
[Image: KrisB-new-Logo11.gif]
Thanks given by:
Still haven't split the pump as ive been avoiding it but... If i am to turn the cam wheel by hand should it turn freely or get hard to turn then free then hard to turn again?
Thanks given by:
Should be smooth for a quarter tur then hard then smooth etc
Thanks given by:
Ooooo, that makes me feel better i thought it was fooked as the lucas turns freely and the bosch didn't, i know the insides are different on both. It was still hard to turn as you say every quarter then easy.

I put some fuel in the bosch turned it and it with socket and fuel spurtred out in order from the outlets Smile I may take a risk and just fit it.
Thanks given by:
Get on and get it fitted, the worst that can happen is you put a Lucas on Wink
Thanks given by:
well i was worried that as it became hard to turn at some points then cambelt wouldn't be able to turn it and end up snapping and then ide have a fooked engine. You can see i do overly worry about things.
Thanks given by:
just do it man! worst that could happen is you end up getting a hdi so you dont have to worry about these things
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
(16-07-2012, 08:01 PM)lolsteve Wrote: just do it man! worst that could happen is you end up getting a hdi so you dont have to worry about these things

He already has one. And two d turbos, and a rallye, and several more..... it's like going to a scrap yard :p
Thanks given by:
As above i have my own hdi thankyou. This isn't for my car im building it for my other half.
Thanks given by:
Can see why you don't want it to blow up then, otherwise she'll be giving you that look and "you just couldn't leave it alone could you.." . Learnt alot from my parents Tongue
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
Haha exactly. I already want to FMIC just because the engine is out and easy to swap over the manifolds ready for when i inevitably up boost.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Slack in bosch pump? dt_ 14 3,401 21-10-2020, 03:41 AM
Last Post: dt_
  Bosch pump help for newbie PugRy 2 1,970 05-01-2020, 09:09 PM
Last Post: jamie182
  Bosch pump fuel screw broken Forby 0 1,473 12-03-2019, 06:47 PM
Last Post: Forby