The Old XUD DervBus Thread!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Old XUD DervBus Thread!
Well thought id get this content over here in one big lump as there's some interesting content in the thread over the years!
Obviously most of this is years old! Smile

----------------------------------------------

Right... as some of you know...i bought a new car the other day, ive been looking for one for quite some time, and one finally popped up and for a change, when i got there, it was what he said it was, not a rusting beaten up pile of junk like most have been!

The more keen of you will know what it is anyway, cos ive been hunting for ages...but its basically in the shape of a black...ph1...d turbo.... picked it up from exeter the other day, its off the road though at the moment, needs a new rear beam, new clutch, and some other bits and pieces, and then obviously some customization from me... but anyways, here it is as i bought it (some his for sale pics and some mine):

[Image: beautifulcar001.jpg]

[Image: DSC03620.jpg]

[Image: PICT0493.jpg]

[Image: PICT0494.jpg]

[Image: PICT0495.jpg]

So thats how it stands at the moment.....

Sadly the private plate isnt staying, he didnt sell it with the car...i just have to change the plates, which i havent done yet...

One of the cars best points, is that it only has 93k on the cloick, which is backed up by previous MOT;s etc... so thats pretty impressive for a ph1!

[Image: PICT0496.jpg]

So the plans... well firstly, i need to sort it out, the clutch is fubared, so gunna have to change that... and the rear beam is starting to camber, so im thinking gti6 beam.... hopefully!

Then i wanna sort out the bodywork, in terms of dents etc, its reli very tidy, but both bumpers have some nasty cracks, and one of the skirts is cracked, so thats all on the to replace list....

Also...the paint work needs some SERIOUS work... basically, the bodywork is pretty much perfect..but it looks like someones been polishing it with sandpaper, which is a huge shame, so im going to try and get it back as best as i can..so please advise me on products...
Im thinking give it a full shampoo with autoglym car wash stuff, then clay the entire car..then crack out some megs scratchx/swirlx (wats better??) cos the car is covered in swirl marks... then some posish of some form (super resin? or wat...?) and then put some HD wax on top.....

Then it will be a case of moving all my half leather, ph2 dash / center console etc into the car, putting my exhaust on, my FMIC, bosh pump, uprated injectors, and all the other engine mods on... and ill go from there..very busy with work atm, its currently off the road, and im still driving the sigma machine...but thought i would keep you updated, also, the wheels are reli growing on me, but i dont want to like them... they look good in pics, but i duno, i think im going to try on my whites...would be a shame to loose my challengers as i love them, but not sure they will suit this car...what do you think?

Anyways, thats me over and out for now....
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Well took some pics of the old girls together the other day, will probs be the last piccys of the sigma, as the second i get a chance, im gutting it, and its being sold, so fairwell sigma beasty Sad

[Image: DSC03683.jpg]

[Image: DSC03682.jpg]

[Image: DSC03680.jpg]

(YES, that is me... LOl!)

[Image: DSC03684.jpg]
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Well started stripping the sigma today, so put the leathers / ph3 interior and some other bits on the new one..

[Image: PICT0515.jpg]
[Image: PICT0510.jpg]
[Image: PICT0509.jpg]

Leathers in:

[Image: PICT0524.jpg]

Old dash...

[Image: PICT0514.jpg]

During...

[Image: PICT0519.jpg]

New Dash...

[Image: PICT0520.jpg]

Also fitted some black pillar plastics, reli like them acaully:

Old:

[Image: PICT0522.jpg]

Together:

[Image: PICT0521.jpg]

New:

[Image: PICT0523.jpg]
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Right, did a bit more this evening, decided to bolt up the challengers, see if they will work in white, or if im gunna have to respray, im still un certain, they look ok i think, but the car isnt low enuf lol!

I despiratly need to change the rear beam tho, its cambering so bad, i had to double the rear spacers just to get the wheels on without touching, and its still VERY close on one side, so thats the next job when i have a day off!

I also gave it a quick wash, with some BD wash and wax, didnt come out to bad, still looks horrid in the sun tho...swirls......

[Image: PICT0525.jpg]
[Image: PICT0526.jpg]
[Image: PICT0528.jpg]
[Image: PICT0529.jpg]
[Image: PICT0530.jpg]
[Image: PICT0538.jpg]
[Image: PICT0543.jpg]
[Image: PICT0544.jpg]

Also, my auntie turned up while i was washing, so i said id give her golf a quik once over:

[Image: PICT0540.jpg]
[Image: PICT0541.jpg]
[Image: PICT0542.jpg]

What do you think to the wheels, stay or go, or change color?
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Right... got some stuff done today, fitted some new ph2 doorcards, so they kinda match the seats, re wired all the windows etc for ph2 switches, fitted speakers / tweekters and crossovers, and got both doors in good condision insidewise, and i changed the rads over from old car to new car, as i just put a new nissens one in the old one, so ive swapped them both over...

Some piccys:
[Image: PICT0542.jpg]
[Image: PICT0545.jpg]
[Image: PICT0546.jpg]
[Image: PICT0547.jpg]
[Image: PICT0549.jpg]
[Image: PICT0552.jpg]

And some wiring mods to make the ph3 switchs work on ph1 looms:

[Image: PICT0543.jpg]

And rad move from sigma to black:

[Image: PICT0540.jpg]
[Image: PICT0541.jpg]
[Image: PICT0550.jpg]
[Image: PICT0555.jpg]
[Image: PICT0557.jpg]

And a genral inside view (sorry getting a bit dark...)

[Image: PICT0558.jpg]
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Right, got home from work and the rain lifted off for 2 minutes, so i cleared a space in the workshop and got my car in and removed the old beam, making way for a new GTI6 beam i picked up the other day!

Im changing it because after buying it, it became instantly apparent once parked at home that the old beam on this car is FOOKED, one of the worst cases of camber ive seen, even worse than one of our Xtdt field cars! Thats along with the shagged clutch that i didnt know about either, oh well, the things we do for the car we want!

Took just under an hour by myself and it was off, just need to lift the new one on, and swap the handbrake cables over!

Some pics of course:

[Image: PICT0541-1.jpg]
[Image: PICT0542-1.jpg]
[Image: PICT0543-1.jpg]
[Image: PICT0544-1.jpg]
[Image: PICT0545.jpg]
[Image: PICT0546.jpg]
[Image: PICT0547.jpg]
[Image: PICT0548.jpg]
[Image: PICT0549.jpg]
[Image: PICT0550.jpg]
[Image: PICT0551.jpg]
[Image: PICT0552.jpg]
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
New beam went on tonight,

[Image: DSC03760.jpg]
[Image: DSC03759.jpg]

Just need to lower the new beam and thats all done Big Grin
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Right, got the afternoon off, gotta love it!

Got the new beam lowered...

[Image: DSC03769.jpg]
[Image: DSC03768.jpg]
[Image: DSC03762.jpg]
[Image: DSC03761.jpg]

Some bad news as well, i was reli ripped off with the car, since ive had it, ive realised that the beam was knackered, the clutch is just about shot (was only thing that appeared wrong wen i picked it up) and now for the real killer, bloody head gasket is done as well, so little bit cheessed pff tbh. will just pull the engine out, easier that way, considering i can then do the cambelt / bosch pump / t15 all at the same time, but still, sucks that i was sold a deadun, still, on the plus side, im pleased with how its looking so far Big Grin
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Been doing a bit of work on some internals today:

Not many pics, have been videoing everything ive been doing...

[Image: PICT0605.jpg]
[Image: PICT0620.jpg]
[Image: PICT0621.jpg]
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Thanks for that sam, will bear there prices in mind.

Upgraded my rear lights again today, its a ph1 must imo, as you may have noticed, i was to lazy to remove my ph2 lights off my old car, so sold them with, so bought another set of Tim at coombe, so thanks alot fella!! Smile

Mounted them ealier, looks much better imo now Big Grin
[Image: PICT0623.jpg]
[Image: PICT0626.jpg]
[Image: PICT0631.jpg]
[Image: PICT0636.jpg]
[Image: PICT0637.jpg]
[Image: PICT0643.jpg]
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Right, so i whipped the head off a broken pump, to compare it to a larger 11mm head that im hoping to get hold of from a transit, and swap over, so that i can hopfully get more fuel in, as ive maxed out my pump as it is at the moment!

Am also researching into swapping the camplate over, so its got the DI one, but i think thers issues with using the correct plugers / shims etc if i do this, so need to confirm which bits i need to use from new pump, and which bits to keep from old pump for it to work! Con??Wink

[Image: DSC04558.jpg]
[Image: DSC04559.jpg]
[Image: DSC04560.jpg]
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Right, battery moved house today, need some space in the bay for a future project..

[Image: DSC01582.jpg]
[Image: DSC01581.jpg]
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Just some pics to update my thread before i forget, i know there posted elsewhere, but still Tongue

[Image: DSC03674.jpg]

[Image: DSC03657.jpg]
[Image: DSC03675.jpg]
[Image: DSC03678-1.jpg]
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Right, bit of an update, and just in time as coombe isnt much more than a week away!

Have got a new head, off a 63k rod thrower, due to my old head cracking!

Have had that pressure tested, and re skimmed, so its nice and shiny, and perfectly flat now, which is good, as it should mate to my new steel headgasket nice and well Big Grin

I have also just recieived my highflow injectors back as i wasnt happy with one of them, so had them rebuilt and cleaned, and have new fireseals and to seals so thats good Big Grin

And lastly, as many know, i have been going through turbos faster than fuel recently, so i have hopfully put this to an end and bought a new turbo.... well, new to me...some people might recognise it....

Anyways, some pics of the stuff, and im hoping to have time this weekend to get it back together Big Grin

So more boost here i come!

Im hoping it should go well together with the 11mm head and govmodded pump, should give me plenty of power up in the revs, as for those of you who dont know, its a hybrid t25 turbo...

[Image: DSC05068.jpg]
[Image: DSC05067.jpg]
[Image: DSC05066.jpg]
[Image: DSC05065.jpg]

[Image: DSC05062.jpg]

Should be all finished for coombe Big Grin
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Right..

The good news is... i should be at coombe Big Grin

Car is all back up and running, all be it rather smokey, as ive not had chance to get it tuned in yet, but the car is all back together, and running, so i think ill leave it be now until next week, as i dont want to break anything before this weekend!

Cleaned it all up as i put it back together, and it appears with the new turbo, it now holds its boost right up the rev range.. and i mean, as high as i dare rev the old XUD Tongue

Anyways, some pictures of the rebuild...

[Image: DSC05071.jpg]
[Image: DSC05072.jpg]
[Image: DSC05076.jpg]
[Image: DSC05083.jpg]
[Image: DSC05084.jpg]
[Image: DSC05085.jpg]

At least now, i should be able to continue, without worry about the turbo dying on me!
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Right..as most people know from other thread, combe has happened, car is back, got some nice pics on the way and had a great day..

Now, got a busy week of other work and other mecanical work for people this week, but as soon as i get a chance, there will be things re transfered to the car pump wise..

And con..ive found some shims that fit the advance cover, im thinking to stack some with gasket seal and then shim spring to equal ammount in cap, should give me 2-4 mm extra travel....

Some more pics just to keep the thread updated, even tho there in another thread!

[Image: 306dt1.jpg]
[Image: 306dt10.jpg]
[Image: 306dt22.jpg]
[Image: 306dt23.jpg]
[Image: 306dt25.jpg]
[Image: 306dt26.jpg]
[Image: 306dt27.jpg]
[Image: 306dt3.jpg]
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Right then (i havent ignored your post above, will reply in 2 mins)

Some new shiny things have turned up today, addressed from the renound piper cams 'shop...

Gunna be several days before i get a chance to fit it, but its here, need to source some cam lube, but should allow me to push the oilburner that little bit further into the unknown!

[Image: DSC01610.jpg]

[Image: DSC01613.jpg]

Its a new ground high lift/duration cam from piper, its quite shiny to Tongue

Thats about it really.. have improoved pump some more, but still not perfect, still need more fuel, and considering a lucas setup... am beginnig to give up hope of getting enough fuel from the bosch Sad
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Right, so got the cams in as people know, got some issues, but is either timing or clearences, so going to sort the clearences first to get that right, and if its still down on power, get / borrow some timing dials and make sure its setup right, and if its still crap, then pipers td cam suck and pugs cams are way more fun to drive!!

Anyways, here are some pics i took quikly when i changed it the other night...

[Image: DSC05245.jpg]
[Image: DSC05244.jpg]
[Image: DSC05243.jpg]
[Image: DSC05242.jpg]
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Right, so to move things back to this thread...as most people are aware, the engine popped a leg yesterday, so am now looking to replace and uprate....thinking im gunna go 1.9 again...mainly just because i can...and because otherwise my cam / turbo are worthless to me...and also because id like to see what i can acaully get from the things..

Anyways, the same pics re posted just to keep this thread updated:

[Image: DSC05305.jpg]
[Image: DSC05302.jpg]
[Image: DSC05301.jpg]
[Image: DSC05300.jpg]
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Right then, ill try and move activities back to this thread now...

Have removed the engine this evening, and stripped it down to the bare block.

Havent had time to strip the block, but i can see from one of the holes, that it WAS NOT a bolt that gave up, the big end is still on the crank fine.. the conrod has litrully snapped in half.... Will pull the sump 2moro evening to see if i can see anything else of use...

Havent got any pics from this evening, but have pictures from yesterday evening where i dissconnected some stuff ready to pull it 2nite..

[Image: DSC05309.jpg]
[Image: DSC05310.jpg]
[Image: DSC05312.jpg]
[Image: DSC05313.jpg]
[Image: DSC05314.jpg]
[Image: DSC05315.jpg]
[Image: DSC05316.jpg]
[Image: DSC05305.jpg]

What do people think....

Faulty rod?? (its a d8b...but hmmm)
Dodgy big end bearing caused it to go?
Metal fatiugue of some form?
Just way to higher cylinder pressures / torque figures?
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Been a day or 2 since much has happened, obviously had that let down with the engine etc... am watching one or to here and there, but not much joy really, so still looking.

Have uploaded some pics 2nite of things...they might be in a bit of a strange order..but you can see some of the damage...still dont know what initially gave up first.. gotta be either rod bolt snap, obviusly leading to failure, conrod broke, or piston shattered...dont know what tho....

Anyways, some pics of engine coming out car few nights ago...

[Image: DSC05360.jpg]
[Image: DSC05359.jpg]
[Image: DSC05358.jpg]
[Image: DSC05357.jpg]

And some pics of the damage ( i stripped engine down so i could find all the smashed up bits!

[Image: DSC05381.jpg]
[Image: DSC05380.jpg]
[Image: DSC05379.jpg]
[Image: DSC05353.jpg]
[Image: DSC05352.jpg]
[Image: DSC05351.jpg]
[Image: DSC05350.jpg]
[Image: DSC05349.jpg]

[Image: DSC05347.jpg]
[Image: DSC05346.jpg]
[Image: DSC05345.jpg]
[Image: DSC05344.jpg]

And for some close up of the bits of conrod/big end shells/piston of the affected cylinder!!

[Image: DSC05378.jpg]
[Image: DSC05377.jpg]
[Image: DSC05376.jpg]
[Image: DSC05375.jpg]

Obviously i can see the shells look fooked, but i think thats just from the bolt failing and them having a hard time for the final few seconds...?!

Have sent off a head bolt and rod bolt as dp engineering wrekon they can get hold of some arp replacements...and i guess im just gunna have to hope it was a freak thing, and it wont happen again, wanna replace the bolts as there known to fail...and its only a matter of time before i lift the head without arp head studs....

Am just in the process of getting a egt gauge as well as getting a oil pressure and oil temp guage, and mocal oil cooler, i really want to know what is going on next time round!

Over and out!
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Right, so engine progress is slow....have been contacted by several about engines, but seem to just go quiet on me when i ask for more info...!?

There is one thats looking hopefull, more miles than i hoped, but im getting despirate now..

Had nothing to do this evening, so cracked out some sandpaper and brasso on my rocker cover, suprised how its come out acaully, started doing the edges, but its a nitemare without a dremol or something!

A pic anyway:

[Image: DSC05397.jpg]

That is all.
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Right then guys, as most know i do now have an engine (thanks to ricky on here)..d8a block, so hopefully should be ok...

Quick pic of engine as it turned up..

[Image: DSC05403.jpg]

Now ive been debating for weeks about dropping 2.1 crank in and having custom rods...but just cant get anywere to repsond with more info..so i guess ive given up, leaving me no choice but to stick with standard internals...ive decied to go ahead with arp bottom end bolts and arp head studs, (when they come back to me...) and replace all the main bearing and big end shells.

Have decided to run with 5-40 fully synth oil, probs some sikeline stuff unless anyone else has a better recomendation....(will be getting from opieTongue)

As im still waiting on arp bolts etc people to get back to me...theres not a huge ammount i can do to the engine, its currently on my bench striped bare...

So i decided on this lovely raining sunday, to get the new dials and stuff mounted inside the car. This is something ive been debating over for ages as ive been struggling to find a way to mount 4 gauges with it looking as OEM as possible, and as DE CHAV as possible... now i guess it does look a bit chav..but its the best way ive found, have moved the radio, and put them there, and in a top vent, left vent is still fully usable... not entirly happy with the hks gauge in the vent as i wanted to keep vent there to, but cudnt get it to sit at the right angle. But anyways, all gauges are now mounted and wired into the engine bay ready for senders to connect to, and they all light up proper when i turn the lights on.

Some pics....

[Image: DSC05413.jpg]
[Image: DSC05411.jpg]
[Image: DSC05412.jpg]

[Image: DSC05414.jpg]
[Image: DSC05415.jpg]

I have decided to wait till im up and running before getting and fitting oil cooler as no point unless my oil temps are getting silly..altho i suspect they may be...

Before stripping the new engine (is now bare on the bench ready for shells etc..i thought id just see how far out pugs TDC mark is, as i was never certain i cud dial my cam perfectly before as i was relying on pugs TDC mark, as it turned out on this engine before rebuild, pugs mark was accurate to .5 of a degree, so that wasnt bad at all!
(yes i painted it bright red...dont flame lol)

[Image: DSC05406.jpg]
[Image: DSC05408.jpg]
[Image: DSC05409.jpg]

Also for those intrested, here is where i drilled and tapped my EGT probe, pre turbo as this is where temps are at the hottest:

[Image: DSC05402.jpg]

But yeh, project is go agen, have been having some negative weeks, almost giving up with it at points cos im having so many problems with people just not getting back to me / not co-operating.. still very nervous about the internals...but just cant see what else i can do..if it goes bang again...maybe its just time to say its over and the old XUD simply wont take what im chucking at it Sad Really hope it dosnt come to this tho...)

Anyways, will continue to update in this thread as things happen, had decidedd to stop posting updates on my car on this site, as it seems to cause more problems than its worth..but will carry on for a bit and see how it goes.

Cheers
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Right, well as an update, i suggest you visit the project bit for my car on darrenjlobb.co.uk , but as a general update.

The new engine is totally stripped now, i have test fitted some DW forged rods, and confirmed they are a good fit, and am currently waiting for places to reopen, to skim the pistons. Have decided to drop the static compression in attempt to stop my rods getting angry with me!

A few pics of some things, but will update once pistons are back and engine can go back together!

[Image: IMAGE_010.jpg]
[Image: IMAGE_005.jpg]
[Image: IMAGE_008.jpg]
[Image: IMAGE_009.jpg]
[Image: PIC_0005.jpg]
[Image: PIC_0004.jpg]
[Image: DSC05402.jpg]
[Image: DSC05406.jpg]

Thanks guys...

And at this point....can i please just put this out there, without causing any bias.... I am choosing to do this...because I want to...i agree, i could be making more power with petrol, and possibly having more fun, i dunno...but im doing this because i love it, and i get alot of enjoymey from it...im a dervhead, and no one is going to change that...so please...if you dont like what im doing...dont comment / talk to me about it, and for those that have been supporting me and the car...i appreciate all comments made, and the help of those that have ran me around to get bits, and spoken to people for advise, cant thank you enough.

Cheers! Tongue shhh silver!
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Ok small uddate, more bad news with the head, have got the lift pump fitted and checked over the engine some more...

Small update explaining over [url="http://darrenjlobb.co.uk/projects.php?subj=4"]here[/url]

And some piccys to save lazy people here:

[Image: IMAGE_020.jpg]
[Image: IMAGE_021.jpg]
[Image: IMAGE_022.jpg]
[Image: IMAGE_023.jpg]

Sorry no completed pictures, got sidetracked by having to sort a water leak on someones golf...
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Another small update [url="http://www.darrenjlobb.co.uk/projects.php?subj=4"]here[/url]

Have finished off the lift pump, will be ran on a switch for now, but probebly on a boost switch eventually. Provides tonnnes of flow for the VE to acces easily up high.

I relayed its power supply as it uses a fair bit, mounted the relay in a spare slot in the fusebox, for a nice OEM look.

[Image: PIC_0015.jpg]

[Image: PIC_0014.jpg]
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Thanks fella, well hopefully like you say the rods are slightly thicker, so uprated over the stock ones, running new shells across the entire bottom end and new pistons rings once ive build, with some damn decent oil. And with everything balanced and a drop in compression, it should be alot safer than before...question is just weather its safe enough! And if it will run with the drop in compression...

A few pics of the ARP studs and the new sticker Tongue Lots of people have it, but i quite like it Smile

[Image: IMAGE_033.jpg]
[Image: IMAGE_034.jpg]

As normal updated the site to.
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Ok, so had some time today to spend on the engine!

Got a fair wack done, bottom end is all back together, oil pump has new spring, and started to bolt bits back, but have hit technical issue with studs, so gotta wait again now...

Full update with pics at bottom of page here http://darrenjlobb.co.uk/projects.php?subj=4

Few pics to get the idea...

[Image: PIC_0047.jpg]
[Image: PIC_0056.jpg]
[Image: PIC_0059.jpg]
[Image: PIC_0062.jpg]
[Image: PIC_0072.jpg]
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Seen as most are to lazy to click link, ill put some more pics in here!

[Image: PIC_0044.jpg]
[Image: PIC_0046.jpg]
[Image: PIC_0051.jpg]
[Image: PIC_0053.jpg]
[Image: PIC_0063.jpg]
[Image: PIC_0064.jpg]
[Image: PIC_0066.jpg]
[Image: PIC_0067.jpg]
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Few quick pics of engine, head is now on, and torqued down with ARP studs... belt tensioners on etc, was hoping to work on it this afternoon, but now appears i have to work, so that sucks Sad

[Image: IMAGE_047.jpg]
[Image: IMAGE_046.jpg]
[Image: IMAGE_045.jpg]
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by: