Suzuki Vitara XUD9 tuning

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suzuki Vitara XUD9 tuning
Hello Guys,I'm new in here.

I drive '97 Vitara with 1.9td XUD9. It's not very popular engine in my country (Poland), especially because of tons of HDI newer models in Peugeots/Citroens, so I can't find almost any information about tuning this engine.

The setup is: XUD9 with turbo (rebuilt, but serial KKK turbocharger), intercooler (TMIC), tweaked a little bit Bosch 9mm pump, Bosch injectors, about 85 horsepower.

Is it possible to easily and SAFELY tune this engine by fitting a bigger turbocharger, let say up to 110 - 120 bhp? I use this Suzuki as my daily ride, I do some off-road, we go on holiday with it etc., so I would like a little bit more power, but to keep and preserve the reliability and nice fuel economy.

Right now the turbo is blowing about 0,7bar with pedal to the metal. I've been thinking about fitting Garrett GT2052 - is that a correct direction? Or it would break the engine into pieces? Is 110 - 120 bhp easily and safely achievable at all? Also - is this job (replacing standard turbo with bigger one) rather plug&play or there is need to rebuild the engine completely and the it will last weeks? Maybe there is recommended turbocharger for XUD9 which will tune this engine up to the level I mentioned and is quite easy to fit?

Kindly thank You in advance!

[Image: 5DyTb6.jpg]

[Image: FWRfMa.jpg]

[Image: acnZKR.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Are these smaller turbos than fitted to the usual stuff like 306s and 406s?
If the same... Keep tuning... 130bhp is just about attainable on stock turbo for the 306s.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
No idea...

That's the turbo I have:

[Image: tW8iqg.jpg]
KKK 5304 101 50 63

As You can see, it has been rebuilt with some better performance parts. Standard turbo blew only 0,3 bar.

Tweaking the fuel pump maxed the pressure of this (renewed) turbocharger up to 0,7 bar. Tweaking it even more didn't do any further improvement, just black smoke.
Thanks given by:
You might need to adjust the waste gate arm also so the boost goes up. If the engine is the same as the 90 hp xud 9 td then you can easily push it to at least 115-120 hp. For this however you are looking into 1.3 to 1.4 bar boost. Without the waste gate holding the boost you won't make any more power no matter how much fuel you have, only black smoke.
Thanks given by:
That's interesting what You're saying..

Standard turbo (before regeneration and tuning) blew only 0,3bar and I've been told by my mechanic that it's all he can get from it. After rebuild (bigger and lighter fan, etc) 0,7bar is maximum what this turbocharger can blow...

You say it should be double (1,4-1,5)?
Thanks given by:
To make power you need air (provided by the boost) and fuel. Judging by the black smoke you got, you have more than enough fuel. Now you need to adjust the turbocharger waste gate arm so it opens at a higher boost level. To reach the 115 - 120 hp with that turbocharger you will likely need at least 1.3 bar (at least 18 psi) of boost. I would suggest watching the Darren Lobb's Youtube vids on xud stage 1 tune.
Thanks given by:
I've been told that the wastegate is regulated up to maximum and I could remove wastegate valve as well. I guess 0,7 is max for this turbo (and as I said, right now it's hybrid turbocharger, before that it was blowing only 0,3...).

Is there any wastegate turbocharger which is bigger and could blow that 1,5 bar You've mentioned? I see that GT2052 and the rest of Garrett's GT series are VNT turbochargers, which would make whole process of installing it more complicated, that regular turbocharger with wastegate, but big enough to generate the pressure I need.

Maybe T25 from Disco 300tdi?
Thanks given by:
I would suggest simply going for any turbo that put in Peugeot 306 td. As far I recall there were four turbos that were put in. Earlier it was only Garret T2 and KKK k14. Both of these have waste gate's that can easily hold 20 psi. Later 306's had Garret GT15 and KKK K03. These also have waste gates that can hold 20 psi.

Another, probably easiest option is to simply fit a manual boost controller to your existing turbo. In this way you adjust the boost level to the desired level easily. Also make sure you don't have any boost leaks.
Thanks given by:
Just fit a manual boost controller.

Wind that boost up. Reason old turbo wouldn't blow more than .3bar is because that's what it was set at on the wastegate!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Thank You for Your help.

Next week I'm leaving the car to the mechanic.

The decision is KKK K14 hybrid turbocharger, 11mm Bosch pump from Disco 300tdi & oil cooler.
Thanks given by:
Ideally smaller turbo / later generation is better for 4x4 - keep torque low down RPM is better for 4x4 definitely.

Sounds like you just need to tweak your boost / fuel up slightly.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I would definitelly prefer to have torque up to 2500rpm not higher, but we'll see.

The fuel pump I've had with that turbocharger couldn't pump anymore. Further tweaking just gave black smoke, but no more power. Maybe, something wrong was with the pump itself, because while engine was hot, it was working uneven on iddle.

BTW - I'm installing EGT sensor, what can be considered as safe EGT temperature level? 650C?
Thanks given by:
You have enough fuel if its smoking. Sounds like you're not getting enough air, or the timing of the fuel is off, probably too late being injected - try advancing pump a tad. The 9mm will supply heaps of fuel, definitely more than enough to max out a stock blower of that era.

Safe EGT is probs <750, but momentary 900-1000 is ok, just be wary if your hauling shit up hills for ages that kind of driving melts your blower hot side if your peaking 1200°c Rofl

For low down grunt VNT is definitely the way forward, or a small GT15 etc. I see your new blower is maxing at 0.7bar?, this is really low and will not burn all your fuel that pump throws in, suggest you have a boost leak/your setup is not correct somewhere. It should be able to see 20+ psi quite easily.
Thanks given by:
NEEDZ MOAR BOOOOOST!!!!!!
                                             [Image: 2ljm03k.jpg]

I Don't Have A 306.
Thanks given by:
puzzle solved.

guess which screw has been screwed in which place?

Speechless

[Image: Ypvnky.jpg]

[Image: FrDT2w.jpg]
Thanks given by:
lol, errr yeah that won't work Big Grin
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
I'm impressed that this engine still managed to work at all, while fuel had been pumped to the engine through this tiny hole.

I drove almost 15'000km with it Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Yeh that'll do it!, how it even kept running is a mystery especially to drive, learn something new everyday, thanks for sharing!
Thanks given by:
No problem.

I will describe the results of the process in a week or something.

And concerning those two screws - that's frustrating.. I mean, I'm fighting with this car for a year already, the amount of people who just shouldn't work as mechanics is enormous.. We've got some smart and clever guys (as the guy who is fixing my car at the moment), but a lot of them emigrated abroad during last 10 years, and young people doesn't want to be mechanics - all of them study psychology, marketing and stuff like that..
Thanks given by:
(21-08-2018, 07:34 AM)Franek_ Wrote: No problem.

And concerning those two screws - that's frustrating.. I mean, I'm fighting with this car for a year already, the amount of people who just shouldn't work as mechanics is enormous.. We've got some smart and clever guys (as the guy who is fixing my car at the moment), but a lot of them emigrated abroad during last 10 years, and young people doesn't want to be mechanics - all of them study psychology, marketing and stuff like that..

Hahahah this made me laugh, have a pop at millennials they might get upset
Thanks given by:
(25-08-2018, 06:55 AM)Dave Wrote:
(21-08-2018, 07:34 AM)Franek_ Wrote: No problem.

Hahahah this made me laugh, have a pop at millennials they might get upset

Fortunatelly, I'm not sure who millenials are, but I'm sure that I don't want to know Wink

The engine is fixed. Now turbocharger blows about 1,1bar and the standard fuel pump is working properly. Electric TMIC fan installed. This week EGT sensor will be mounted and I think I'm done.
Thanks given by:
Finished. I just picked up the car. Power is right now about 110hp and 220Nm. EGT at cruising speed 100km/h is between 350-400C and it doesn't exceed 650-700C on full boost. Engine temperature 90-92C, no overheating issues.

Thanks guys!
Thanks given by:
So, problems again...

The engine runs smooth, starts with any problems cold/warm, it has got 116hp and 230 torque, consumption is ok etc.

But, today I had to refill the coolant, about 1 liter. And when engine is hot (between 84 and 95C) it runs uneven and shakes..

Head? Head gasket?

Does Your tuned engines runs long term without head problems, while tuned up to 120hp?
Thanks given by:
Ok, problem solved, it has been injection pump problem.. I've been told, that it's not dangerous, so I can run with it untill I find good one to replace it.

What's the safe level of power this engine can generate?

[Image: 3.jpg]
Thanks given by:
my 306 XUD9TE has been running just over 130bhp for years with no problems
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
So, after 25'000km turbo is probably dying. Consumes oil (0,7l every 1000km) + there is oil visible in intercooler.

No point in fixing it - I prefer to mount regular turbo this time (not hybrid one I already have), but bigger than standard.

T25? GT2052s? GT1752?

I would like to have boost low down, up to 2500-3000rpm. I don't go over 2700rpm, which on 5th gear gives me about 100km/h cruising speed. Power wise, 120-140hp is my goal. Which turbocharger is recommended?
Thanks given by:
anyone, anything?
Thanks given by:
a 2052 would probably be fine. works well on the 1.5d so i'd think it would work well on the XUD unit as it's a bit bigger.
A moments silence please, for our brothers in the NAD-zone.
Thanks given by:
Photo 
Sorry i know this is an old thread but I have just joined this forum because I too have a Suzuki fitted with a XUD 1.9TD. However my Suzuki is a Jimny and the engine came out of a damaged Vitara.
Thanks given by:
how have you done the swap? have you used the Vitara gearbox/transfer case and got rid of the jimny separate transfer case?
i also have a Vitara with the Peugeot 1.9TD engine really rare beast. depending on who you ask there was only ever about 340 vitara commercials ( JX TD )made for the UK market.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I Drive a suzuki vitara.... toseland 17 3,855 28-05-2014, 03:58 PM
Last Post: Dum-Dum