Fuel Primer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuel Primer
I have an issue with my 306 not starting. The engine is turning over but firing up.

When I turn the key I don't hear the fuel priming. I have checked the voltage and there is no power to the primer.

I have checked the fuse box in the car and the one under the bonnet and it all looks fine. I was wondering if there is a fuse or a relay that I would be able to check? 

BR
Thanks given by:
(20-08-2019, 10:48 PM)vento85 Wrote: I have an issue with my 306 not starting. The engine is turning over but firing up.

When I turn the key I don't hear the fuel priming. I have checked the voltage and there is no power to the primer.

I have checked the fuse box in the car and the one under the bonnet and it all looks fine. I was wondering if there is a fuse or a relay that I would be able to check? 

BR

Hi,

I tink we have a fuel pump ralay.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for your feedback.

Sorry for the late update:

I have checked the voltage again after checking other things, and it seems maybe I checked the voltage pins incorrectly, or didn't get a good connection as I now am getting voltage.

I managed to get the car started the following day, but it has not been 100%, but manageable. The car will cutout time to time went going around a round-a-bout (taking the 3rd exit, or going all the way around). The car will start up again (7 out of 10 times) after waiting for the glow plug light to go off. Sometimes when I park the car up to open the garage doors, it won't start up again on the first attempt, and I have noticed the lift pump has not kicked it and have to turn the key to off and back until I hear the lift pump turn on.

Just wondering if this is actually an issue with the lift pump or something else.

I would be very grateful for some advice. Smile
Thanks given by:
Sometimes when I park the car up to open the garage doors, it won't start up again on the first attempt, and I have noticed the lift pump has not kicked it and have to turn the key to off and back until I hear the lift pump turn on.

Im no expert on these and still learning, is thew way to your home garage on a slope?

Our 306 sometimes seems down on power after sharp corners, how is the red rubber covered "collision switch" by the ecu?? It is resetable by pushing down on the red top.

You know about the brown double relay under the ecu?
Thanks given by:
Fuel pump relay, behind the battery.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
The garage/drive is not on a slope, this has happened in car parks as well. The car will cut out on sharp right corner but it hasn't happen this week, the car has been okay.

The red rubber covered "collision switch" seems fine but I will have to check this tomorrow in the light.

I had removed the brown double relay in August to check it (is this the same thing as the Fuel pump relay?) and I didn't notice any corrosion or burn marks. Maybe the relay is on its way out, I could open up the relay to check the internals.

Thanks for your reply's Smile
Thanks given by:
Ours seemed to do this on sharp right hand bends as well.

There was a thread on here some time ago where a make and break contact was found in the loom from the ecu to the engine, which makes sense as the engine rocks due to drive/overrun and flex the main loom, fatique then make and break contact. A rel pita to find but........
Thanks given by:
(02-12-2019, 10:27 AM)pug306driver Wrote: Ours seemed to do this on sharp right hand bends as well.

There was a thread on here some time ago where a make and break contact was found in the loom from the ecu to the engine, which makes sense as the engine rocks due to drive/overrun and flex the main loom, fatique then make and break contact. A rel pita to find but........

Hopefully, it is not a broken wire in the loom, that will be a PITA to find. Going to have to find a way to check this.

The car cut out again this week when I was driving (Turn right).

The fuel tank gauge was showing quarter full. The problem seems to happen more when the tank is quarter, but not always.

Could this potentially be an in-tank pump? Not 100% on this as the car sometimes does not engage the in-tank pump then starting the car.
Thanks given by:
Yes an in tank fuel lift pump, a combined lift pump ( electric ) and fuel sender unit.

If you lift the rear drivers side seat and the circular bit of carpet, you will see a large plastic "grommet". Remove that and see the top of the fuel pump unit with the electrical terminal block, fuel pipes and the large plastic ring that hold the unit in the tank.

Its quite easy to remove the unit, but see the guides section of the unit cleaning.....will try and put a link to that.

with the unit on the bench is quite easy to get to the pump and filter etc..

Make sure the fuel tank is as empty as you dare as the resovour of the fuel pump unit will have fuel in it. Have lots of rag etc. to catch the diesel which stinks!

Homepage

306 repairs and mods

guides
https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=28530
Thanks given by:
I was reading into replacing the lift pump, would you recommend doing this, or just to replace the whole unit?

https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=20320
Thanks given by:
Big Grin 
Since you will have to remove the old uniot to fit a new one, it makes sense to check the in tank unit filter, and possible clean the tank out.

How ever if you have megga bucks ( i dont ) fit a new unit ( and please send the old one to me for xmas please please please )
Thanks given by:
I will try to find an replacement pump before buying a new one. If I end up getting a complete working unit then sure I can give you the old one for p+p ?

I have been looking for pumps on eBay and pretty much they are around £20. Just not sure if they are suitable for diesel fuel or the reliability of them.

Any suggestions on this?
Thanks given by:
Would this be an option to replace the old pump?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-340-LPH-I...3197362342
Thanks given by:
I ended up replacing the pump in the in-tank unit.

The pump runs quiet and I do not hear any humming noise from the outside of the car when it primes.

The conversion was pretty simple and took under 1hr to complete the instalation.

The replacement pump is meant to be 255 litres per hour, so should be an upgrade to the original.

However, this has not fixed the issue based on my initial test. I went round an roundabout 3 times and on the 4th attend the engine cut out, and it then took a few attempts to restart the engine.

I have just over 1/4 of fuel in the tank, and I normally try to keep it at 1/2 or above as this normally solves the cutting out issue.

Any suggestions what I could try or look at next?

Thanks
Thanks given by:
Are you sure your fuel sender is returning the right value? i.e. your tank is showing 1/4 full but it's actually nearly empty, and 1/2 is really only 1/4?
Current Car: Lexus CT200h 1.8 138, 2013, 19,500 miles
Previous Car: VW Passat 2.0 TDi 140, 2005, 136,000 miles
Previous Car: Peugeot 306 XLdt (stock!), 150,000 miles (I miss this car Sad)
Thanks given by:
(22-01-2020, 12:06 PM)andywhy Wrote: Are you sure your fuel sender is returning the right value? i.e. your tank is showing 1/4 full but it's actually nearly empty, and 1/2 is really only 1/4?

Hi there, Thanks for your reply.

I would say the fuel sender is working fine. I have not added fuel and just under 1/4. I only use the car to get to office and back so I don't use much fuel.

having said that, the car did hard cutout today in the morning when I was accelerating and shifted from 2nd to 3rd on a flat road, and I was going straight.
Thanks given by: