Do I buy? rear brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material pipes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do I buy? rear brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material pipes
  • Rear Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material pipes covered in grease (1.1.11 ©)
I really want the pug as I'm running out of time mine needs scrapping and I'm back at work soon. I asked the owner he said it's excessive grease so they can't see everything, this is the second year it's had that advisory. Is it too risky? I thought it was dual system anyway but I've read with other cars this pipe failed and they lost all braking?

Will I know instantly if it does break or would I be driving around with just one set off brakes oblivious?
Thanks given by:
Excessive grease (or underseal?) was most likely put on a rusty pipe purely so they can't see it... They're 18+ years old now, the brake pipes will need replacing.

You will immediately know if the pipe breaks, you'll lose (almost) all braking and the warning light will appear on the dash when the fluid level drops.
Thanks given by: Charlie0
(18-04-2019, 08:03 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Excessive grease (or underseal?) was most likely put on a rusty pipe purely so they can't see it...  They're 18+ years old now, the brake pipes will need replacing.

You will immediately know if the pipe breaks, you'll lose (almost) all braking and the warning light will appear on the dash when the fluid level drops.

Damn, I was pretty sure this would be the answer but had to be sure. Was all too good to be true. Little bit frustrating if it is a cover up that people are willing to put someone at risk for a couple of hundred quid rather than making you aware. Suppose that's just how the world works!

Charlie
Thanks given by:
The 306's were fitted with steel brake pipes from the factory, covered in a plastic coating.  They do corrode, particularly the pieces of solid line that run from the rear flexi hoses to the calipers.  If original those may well need replacing.  A lot of the other pipes on my car (the ones running along the bottom of the floor pan) are original & showing some light corrosion but pass the MOT fine.

Getting a garage to replace a few shorter sections of line that are heavily corroded with new cupro-nickel lines shouldn't break the bank.
Thanks given by: Charlie0

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brake pipe failure Mighty306 3 1,656 15-08-2020, 03:27 PM
Last Post: ekjdm14
  Uneven brake drag on rear wheels balkan_bozo 2 2,022 21-10-2018, 11:10 AM
Last Post: balkan_bozo
  Rear brake compensator leaking Ben 4 2,912 24-04-2018, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Ben