Stalk Issues

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stalk Issues
Jumped into the car yesterday, got to the end of the road and realised my car had thrown a hissy fit.

The indicators didn't work, at all, and the wipers only worked if you pushed the stalk down, and then wouldn't self-park. I assume there's a dodgy connection somewhere, but hate electronics so thought I'd just ask on here rather than taking stabs in the dark.

I reckon it might just be moaning about the weather frankly, it never seems happy if it's too hot or too cold Tongue

Cheers
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
Any ideas?
Thanks given by:
With regards to the indicators, make sure the grey relay under the steering wheel is secure and not corroded. Also check the connection on the back of the hazard light switch.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Possibly the solenoid may have gone, did you notice any clicking sounds below the steering wheel recently?

EDIT: too late lol
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Can't say I've noticed any clicking, but I'll have a gander at the relay.

Would that affect the wipers too?
Thanks given by:
Check the earth by the accelerator pedal, I think it'll be that one for those anyway.
Thanks given by:
I don't think it would affect the wipers too.. Could just be a coincidence
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
An earth problem could affect both..... :think:
Thanks given by:
Right, the relay looks practically new, and the earth point is spotless?

The indicators still work on the central locking, and the hazards, just not on the stalk. Everything else on the stalk (lights) still works fine.

My electric mirrors (recently swapped for a set done by gareth7) have also packed up.

Very, very confused, surely the indicators, wipers AND mirrors can't be completely coincidental? I'm at a loss.
Thanks given by:
Mirrors could just be a fuse? Not sure which one though, look in the handbook if you have one.

I'm wondering if it might be worth taking off the steering cowling and checking if any wires from the stalks are either trapped or rubbing on something, causing high resistance somewhere. Just a stab in the dark though......
Thanks given by:
I'm gonna try replacing the relay, in the hope it's a cheap fix, but I'm driving all the way back to Cornwall on monday...f*cking jubilee weekend means all the dealers are gonna be shut, does it not?
Thanks given by:
Kezzieboy Wrote:I'm gonna try replacing the relay, in the hope it's a cheap fix, but I'm driving all the way back to Cornwall on monday...f*cking jubilee weekend means all the dealers are gonna be shut, does it not?
think I have a grey relay here your welcome to... But I go to work in 3 hours Smile
[Image: Signature.jpg]
Thanks given by:
[Image: 522f2d71-60ab-3527.jpg]

This it? - 3 pin
Thanks given by:
Yeah that's the badger, where abouts are you? Free tomorrow at all?
Thanks given by:
I will be free about 1pm when I have got up mate?
Thanks given by:
Sounds good, PM me your address? Cheers for this, I've just got to hope it's the relay causing my problems now!
Thanks given by:
Done Smile
Thanks given by:
Well I went through all the fuses and found one was dead, swapped a good one in, indicators work, yay.

Drive down the road to Carl's, and they stop working, ah, what had I done? Fiddled with the 'leccy mirrors so I reckon that's where my fault lies.

Went to Carl's anyway, got many, many dirty looks for not indicating but got there eventually. Carl gave me a few spare fuses (top lad!) and I had a nosey around dilligaf and his new, bargain GTi-6, and went on my way, not touching the mirrors and whaddaya know the indicators are still working. So I've unplugged the electric mirror adjuster on the door to avoid inadvertently hitting the adjuster and blowing the fuse again.

I'll have to have a look for a short when I get home, but if I can't find it I'll have to sack of my shiny mirrors from Gareth7 and put the original ones back on Sad
Thanks given by: