.4 gearbox change upgrade info

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
.4 gearbox change upgrade info
Hi, has anyone with the 1.4 meridan changed the gearbox for better acceleration. And does the 106 quicksilver gearbox fit. I was told it would change the ratio and lose top end which I'm not fussed about. Or does anyone have a recommendation on which box would be an upgrade for the standard box.

Cheers Harvey
Thanks given by:
I fitted a 206 one, more for the reason that the old box was knackered. I think it's got a slightly longer third.

Don't think you'll massively improve a 1.4s acceleration with a shorter box though.
2001 BMW 330Ci
2012 VW High Up
1988 205 GTi 1.6
1990 205 Mi16
Thanks given by:
I fitted a slightly later 1.4 one that had a lower final drive which helped somewhat - 4.54 vs the original 4.29 - but mine was a single linkage box, not the late 3 linkage, so my options were pretty limited. It was really only because the box was perfect inside versus looking at many that were half shot.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
(04-03-2019, 05:16 PM)Alan_M Wrote: I fitted a 206 one, more for the reason that the old box was knackered. I think it's got a slightly longer third.

Don't think you'll massively improve a 1.4s acceleration with a shorter box though.

(05-03-2019, 04:59 PM)Rippthrough Wrote: I fitted a slightly later 1.4 one that had a lower final drive which helped somewhat - 4.54 vs the original 4.29 - but mine was a single linkage box, not the late 3 linkage, so my options were pretty limited. It was really only because the box was perfect inside versus looking at many that were half shot.
Thanks given by:
I think you deleted your message by mistake there Big Grin
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
(06-03-2019, 12:27 AM)Rippthrough Wrote: I think you deleted your message by mistake there Big Grin

(05-03-2019, 04:59 PM)Rippthrough Wrote: I fitted a slightly later 1.4 one that had a lower final drive which helped somewhat - 4.54 vs the original 4.29 - but mine was a single linkage box, not the late 3 linkage, so my options were pretty limited. It was really only because the box was perfect inside versus looking at many that were half shot.
Thanks given by:
... doh Smile
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gearbox Change help!!! danarthurton 12 3,133 21-10-2014, 11:09 PM
Last Post: Piggy