Xsi 16v cat catalytic converter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Xsi 16v cat catalytic converter
Need a new cat for my xsi 16v, just posting incase someone has a genuine one hanging about... Bit hesitant to go down the cheap after market route.

Cheers, Lewis.
Thanks given by:
Ive got a full gti6 exhaust that is rusty. I could cut out the cat if the pipe isnt any good and send it if you wanted to weld it in. No idea of the condition though! Where are you?
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the offer but I'd prefer something that is a straight swap, I know I'm not asking much! Ha. I'm in Bristol.
Thanks given by:
I struggled to find an original one for my 16v XSi too but you might be more persistent/have more luck.

There seem to be BM catalysts everywhere you look and because I needed to get the car through the MoT in a hurry last May that's also what the garage ended up sourcing & fitting.  I went for a type approved one (although it's not legally required) in the hope it would last a little bit longer.

At the price they charge (about £80) I'm not hugely optimistic about it lasting and so picked up a Walker one from Mr Auto a few months later.  https://www.mister-auto.co.uk/catalytic-...20296.html .  They aren't showing any in stock currently but will let you add one to the basket so assume they're available to order.  They also have Bosal and MTS ones at considerably higher cost.  Know Bosal is half decent but no idea about MTS.

Only other option is welding a cat in to the existing pipework if it isn't too rotten.  Plenty of options such as Eeyore's original '6 cat or a universal one.

Have you had the XSi for a while btw?  You're showing as a member since 2014 so guess you have?  I'm just down the road from you.
Thanks given by:
I have one from a 2.0 8v which should fit a 2.0 16v as well, according to ServiceBox.

The GTI6 one has a different shape and does not fit the 2.0 16v XSI.
Thanks given by:
(12-02-2019, 03:55 PM)Mighty306 Wrote: I struggled to find an original one for my 16v XSi too but you might be more persistent/have more luck.

There seem to be BM catalysts everywhere you look and because I needed to get the car through the MoT in a hurry last May that's also what the garage ended up sourcing & fitting.  I went for a type approved one (although it's not legally required) in the hope it would last a little bit longer.

At the price they charge (about £80) I'm not hugely optimistic about it lasting and so picked up a Walker one from Mr Auto a few months later.  https://www.mister-auto.co.uk/catalytic-...20296.html .  They aren't showing any in stock currently but will let you add one to the basket so assume they're available to order.  They also have Bosal and MTS ones at considerably higher cost.  Know Bosal is half decent but no idea about MTS.

Only other option is welding a cat in to the existing pipework if it isn't too rotten.  Plenty of options such as Eeyore's original '6 cat or a universal one.

Have you had the XSi for a while btw?  You're showing as a member since 2014 so guess you have?  I'm just down the road from you.
Well I need to get a new cat sorted before the mot in march so haven't got loads of time to be honest.

Did the BM one effect the car in anyway? What's the quality of the walker like? I think I'll end up going through a local exhaust place if an OEM one doesn't turn up. They should be able to supply a range of manufactures.

I have had the car since I was 17, now 28 so had it a while! Mrs now uses it as a daily driver so its getting a new ass hole torn compared to when it was my weekend car! Where abouts are you?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

(12-02-2019, 06:01 PM)Joep83 Wrote: I have one from a 2.0 8v which should fit a 2.0 16v as well, according to ServiceBox.

The GTI6 one has a different shape and does not fit the 2.0 16v XSI.
Is it new? Genuine? Where are you located?

Thanks given by:
I'm to the East of Bath but am in Bristol reasonably regularly.

The BM catalyst didn't affect the car's performance as far as I can tell.  The readings on the emissions weren't spectacular considering it was a new cat though.  Either they didn't warm the car up for long enough ...or more likely the cat has the absolute minimum of the good stuff in it.

Walker cats are supposed to be good quality & the one I picked up seems well made.  I think they're an OEM manufacturer for some makes of car.
Thanks given by:
The cat I have, comes from my XSI 2.0 8v. Not sure if it is genuine. It looks genuine if I compare it to my genuine GTI cat.

I am located in the Netherlands but I can ship to the UK.

If you send me your phone number by pm, I will send some photos over whatsapp.
Thanks given by:
(12-02-2019, 07:26 PM)Mighty306 Wrote: I'm to the East of Bath but am in Bristol reasonably regularly.

The BM catalyst didn't affect the car's performance as far as I can tell.  The readings on the emissions weren't spectacular considering it was a new cat though.  Either they didn't warm the car up for long enough ...or more likely the cat has the absolute minimum of the good stuff in it.

Walker cats are supposed to be good quality & the one I picked up seems well made.  I think they're an OEM manufacturer for some makes of car.

The Mrs drives to Limply Stoke daily so if you see an R reg diablo with anthracite speedline 2110s that's mine!

I might actually have a closer look at the cat and see if it's weldable, I think the hole is by the join to the centre section so should be.

I spoke to a local exhaust place and they stock a BM cat for £90, they did say they produce oem stuff for some manufactures

Thanks given by:
(13-02-2019, 01:33 PM)rydon Wrote: [quote pid='625137' dateline='1549999597']
The Mrs drives to Limply Stoke daily so if you see an R reg diablo with anthracite speedline 2110s that's mine!

[/quote]

I'll keep an eye out Smile.  I have an R-reg blaze yellow XSi, although the other half says the colour looks like baby poo!

Let me know if you ever need a hand with the car ...happy to help providing I have the time. I know my way round the XSi pretty well now & have Lexia 3 / PP2000 & some other diagnostic kit.
Thanks given by:
(13-02-2019, 01:42 PM)Mighty306 Wrote:
(13-02-2019, 01:33 PM)rydon Wrote: [quote pid='625137' dateline='1549999597']

I'll keep an eye out Smile.  I have an R-reg blaze yellow XSi, although the other half says the colour looks like baby poo!

Let me know if you ever need a hand with the car ...happy to help providing I have the time. I know my way round the XSi pretty well now & have Lexia 3 / PP2000 & some other diagnostic kit.
[/quote]Thanks, good to know [emoji106]. Does that program immobiliser chips??

Thanks given by:
I think you can programme new key transponders with PP200 (& it does have to be a new, blank transponder) but have never done so.  (Read this & you'll see why! http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=166816).  For a start you need the 4-digit security code that is unique to the car.  I think they originally came printed on a small credit card type thing but it's probably long lost now.  (Never had one with any of my cars).  Also, not everything works on the cheapo Lexia 3 version I've got & I wouldn't be surpised if key programming is one of them.

My backup if the immobiliser ever goes kaput or all the keys get lost is an unlocked ECU!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wanted: 1.8 16v Catalytic Converter exhaust section.. laurence_13 4 1,375 04-12-2013, 04:39 PM
Last Post: laurence_13
  1.8 Catalytic Converter Eeyore 3 1,183 18-01-2013, 08:52 PM
Last Post: spike2002