Priming Bulb Not Holding Pressure

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Priming Bulb Not Holding Pressure
My 1995 306 XUD TD is becoming very difficult to start. Once it starts, there is quite a lot of grey smoke from the exhaust. I've replaced the leak-off tubes (which in all fairness did need doing). The priming bulb does not appear to be holding pressure as it used to. No visible leaks under the bonnet.
Thanks given by:
(28-10-2020, 01:22 PM)leswoollam Wrote: My 1995 306 XUD TD is becoming very difficult to start. Once it starts, there is quite a lot of grey smoke from the exhaust. I've replaced the leak-off tubes (which in all fairness did need doing). The priming bulb does not appear to be holding pressure as it used to. No visible leaks under the bonnet.
I had exactly the same problem and took ages to find the problem. I replaced the glowplugs Timer relay and the primer bulb to no avail. Then one day I was trying to build up pressure in the fuel line and noticed a tiny dribble of fuel from the bottom of the fuel filter. Rather than strip it down I cleaned off and smeared silicone sealer where a valve was inserted in the bottom of the filter at manufacture. Issue sorted car now starts immediately and seems to run better. It appears that air is being drawn into the fuel system when running and creating an air lock. Hope this helps !!
Thanks given by:
Yea, from memory (reading previous posts) the fuel filter housing is worth a look at.

Btw, welcome to the club both of you!
Thanks given by:
(28-10-2020, 10:49 PM)Farmersboy Wrote:
(28-10-2020, 01:22 PM)leswoollam Wrote: My 1995 306 XUD TD is becoming very difficult to start. Once it starts, there is quite a lot of grey smoke from the exhaust. I've replaced the leak-off tubes (which in all fairness did need doing). The priming bulb does not appear to be holding pressure as it used to. No visible leaks under the bonnet.
I had exactly the same problem and took ages to find the problem. I replaced the glowplugs Timer relay and the primer bulb to no avail. Then one day I was trying to build up pressure in the fuel line and noticed a tiny dribble of fuel from the bottom of the fuel filter. Rather than strip it down I cleaned off and smeared silicone sealer where a valve was inserted in the bottom of the filter at manufacture. Issue sorted car now starts immediately and seems to run better. It appears that air is being drawn into the fuel system when running and creating an air lock. Hope this helps !!
Thanks for the tip, I'll try that and report back. . .
Thanks given by:
did you fit oem 3mm rubber pipe or cheapo aftermarket 1/8" (aka 3.2mm, i.e to big)
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  4 out of 5 Bolts Holding Downpipe silverzx 17 3,624 11-10-2014, 02:01 PM
Last Post: Dave
  stutter problem at high revs holding back sparkyboi001 17 5,020 16-04-2013, 02:55 PM
Last Post: Tom
  Primer bulb sucked in and wont return?! 306 d turbo 1 1,715 27-03-2013, 09:18 PM
Last Post: cully