Dw10 billet lightened flywheel

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dw10 billet lightened flywheel
Anyone know what the effects of running a billet lightened flywheel would be?

Looking at fitting a spoox gti6 lightened/billet fly. My thoughts concern is that it may act like a runaway when revved. Im thinking the loss of inertia may cap the torque off?

Basically thinking of converting over to the xud pull style clutch which can naturally apply more clamping pressure. This has come about after speaking to a couple of individuals about clutches tonight.

Realise theres more bits to swap then that but just thinking now may be the time to do it. Helix friction plate has just been Re-centered after my mishap so could sell that off as a complete bedded in kit to partially fund this.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk
Still Living For The 306  Rofl

306 Ph1 Dturbo Estate
205 1.9 GTI (Rust.In.Pieces)
306 HDI Stage 3 Estate (Rust.In.Pieces)
Thanks given by:
We ran a gti6 one on a dw10 made big difference. Reved freely worthy upgrade 12kg - 3kgs!
90' 205 gti6 supercharged
05' Evo 9 IX GT

Team eaton.

Axle rebuilds please contact me for your needs.

https://www.facebook.com/axlesbystef/
Thanks given by:
(09-12-2018, 10:19 PM)Stef205 Wrote: We ran a gti6 one on a dw10 made big difference. Reved freely worthy upgrade 12kg - 3kgs!
3.5kg saving if what i read on another forum is right.

10kg hdi
6.5kg gti6 stock
3.8kg gti6 lightened.

Problem from what i read was hdi ecu's cant cope with 3.8kg flywheel without having it mapped in right

306 Ph1 Dturbo Estate
Thanks given by:
Individual cylinder smooth running control will be all over the place if you take that much weight out the flywheel, your idle is likely to be somewhat variable - it'll eventually smoothen out, but when falling back to idle after the controller has been initialised, it'll hunt and under/overshoot the idle setpoint. How fast the engine responds is realistically very little to do with the rotating inertia, there's so many other adjustments in the calibration which I've not seen many other tuners touch that control how rapidly the engine will increase and decrease speed with relation to the throttle pedal, they're pretty esoteric and complex to understand unless you're really looking for them.

The active surge suppression will also probably intervene quite a bit with that much weight off the flywheel, meaning it'll end up pulling power during fast torque transients due to oscillations in the drivetrain. You can certainly reduce the weight of the flywheel, but honestly, with adjustments in the calibration, the engine response can be changed way more than the flywheel will give you any day.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(10-12-2018, 04:29 PM)Ruan Wrote: Individual cylinder smooth running control will be all over the place if you take that much weight out the flywheel, your idle is likely to be somewhat variable - it'll eventually smoothen out, but when falling back to idle after the controller has been initialised, it'll hunt and under/overshoot the idle setpoint. How fast the engine responds is realistically very little to do with the rotating inertia, there's so many other adjustments in the calibration which I've not seen many other tuners touch that control how rapidly the engine will increase and decrease speed with relation to the throttle pedal, they're pretty esoteric and complex to understand unless you're really looking for them.

The active surge suppression will also probably intervene quite a bit with that much weight off the flywheel, meaning it'll end up pulling power during fast torque transients due to oscillations in the drivetrain. You can certainly reduce the weight of the flywheel, but honestly, with adjustments in the calibration, the engine response can be changed way more than the flywheel will give you any day.
Thanks for that. My main aim is to be able to run a pull type clutch now. Seen and heard several people running a stock gti6 flywheel to achieve this no issue so thats the way I'll have to go

306 Ph1 Dturbo Estate
Thanks given by:
Yeah stock GTi6 fly is fine, does cause a little stuttering when cold, but nothing major, you mostly hear it through the exhaust.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(10-12-2018, 05:07 PM)Ruan Wrote: Yeah stock GTi6 fly is fine, does cause a little stuttering when cold, but nothing major, you mostly hear it through the exhaust.
With how rough the car is now on vibra race mounts and a 1k idle im not sure it could possibly be much worse [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

306 Ph1 Dturbo Estate
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DW10 billet conrods japie 0 1,154 18-01-2021, 08:11 PM
Last Post: japie
  DW10 vs DW12 vs DV6 Dreijers 43 16,032 03-12-2017, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Poodle