2.0L Hdi Engine Replacement - possible pitfalls?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2.0L Hdi Engine Replacement - possible pitfalls?
Hi Folks

Could really do with some quick advice on 2l hdi 8V engines - 

Looking at a local mint Scudo/Expert Type van tomorrow, however seller says 'it needs a turbo' which actually turned out to mean the engine has 'runaway' a bit before stopping.
Current runaway engine starts and runs quietly (according to mechanic who looked at it after the runaway) - compared to most things I've had a runaway normally ends in a big KABOOOM and never runs again!!
I guess I could possibly get away with sticking a turbo on it, buts that's going to be time/aggro for an unknown result.

Van is 2004 Scudo JTD which is a 2L Hdi 8v. 

I can source another Hdi engine fairly easily - HOWEVER what possible electronic issues are there going to be. ECU? I assume ECU is coded to the pump or something like that?

Any advice would be great as don't want to buy a electronic nightmare.  

I buy these for camper conversions - and finding tidy low mileage ones is a nightmare, which is why I'm even considering this!

Cheers for any input.
Thanks given by:
The immobilizer controls the injector drivers in the ECU so there nothing to worry about on that side no need to swap anything

I've never heard of a hdi engine running away
Thanks given by:
BSI and immobiliser would be your only challenges, just swap the engine and use the ecu and loom currently on the van.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
turbo oil leak and uses oil as a fuel, a spectacular event....did engine actually run away until it blew up?
Thanks given by:
I've been in and repaired a run away HDI and to be honest after a chuffing good clean (remove and strip head) and new turbo seals it ran like a good'un for many 1000 miles, at approx 160hp driven by my mate Dave who's a maniac. Great engine!!!!!

Pug306driver- yes it was spectacular, filled the dual carriageway with thick white smoke at a gazillion RPM. We were convinced the engine was knackered.
Thanks given by:
Just seen these replies guys - thankyou, it was a Scudo type van, was going to be a base vehicle for someone's camper as bodywork was mint but the engine bay was running with oil, epic engine runaway but the seller wouldn't budge and insisted his mate said 'it only needed a new turbo' bolting on. Gave up trying to explain the engine was probably toast!
Thanks all anyway, good to know for future ones.
Thanks given by: