Aux belt tensioner

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aux belt tensioner
hi all...i'm newbie in here...and first , i'm sorry of my bad english...

i need to ask about type of tensioner that should attach to my XUD (engine code D8A)
few days ago....i suddenly lost tensioner when i drive ...somehow....which make aux belt loose

and since the XUD engine are very rare in here (i live in indonesia)....i can't get any reference in my country (806 HDI 2.0 is the oldest peugeot diesel engine in here)

so...my question is....
1.which tensioner should i buy ?
2.what type (or how long in mm) of aux belt should i buy for my engine ? (i use power steering , generator , A/C)
i'm little confused because there is few types (shape) of tensioners when i'm google "XUD9TE tensioner"

thank you in advance....

[Image: s-l1600-1.jpg]

[Image: s-l1600.jpg]

[Image: s-l500-1.jpg]

[Image: s-l500.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Hi there,
I have done the belts on my ac xud 306 recentlly.
If you remove the RH wheel and the plastic cover, you can look at or remove the aux belt.
There is a second adjustable fixed adjuster lower down that you can loosen and the belt will come off easily.
To retension there is a 7mm square hole for applying tension while locking it back up.
I had to apply more than should be neccessary to stop the auto tensioner from making a noise at low rpm.
The AC models have your picture (1) version of auto tensioner In nearly all cases, but you should just be able to
see the square hole on that one from below to verify.
I think these (ac model) auto adjusters are problematic, and though I haven't replaced mine yet, I recall that a bit
of gear (maybe the power steering pump) has to be removed to get at it.

Make a drawing of the belt fitment around the pulleys before you take it off, though you could probably find the diagram on the internet. Maybe mark the manual tensioner too if you are unsure.
In the middle of a long section he belt should be able to turn 90 degrees when using finger and thumb.
The auto tensioner takers over the tensioning to a degree, but you do have to make it take up some tension using the manual adjustment.

You are liable to get a stock belt off the shelf if you have the old belt in your hand, the tensioner I would buy online
unless you have a lot of peugeots in Indonesia.

HTH Ron
Thanks given by: celesboy1
good explanation ron....thank you very much....

so...i assume there are more than one type tensioner in XUD right ?
and to verify it... i need to search a square hole in tensioner mounting area....pretty clear for me then....

actually i was replaced it with 406 XU10 belt (with just one DW10ATED HDI 2.0 tensioner)....its worked but not perfect....and i think its just temporary solution while i'm searching for reference in french car forums include this forum

like i said before....i'm newbie and just bought 306sedan few months ago (previous owner was an peugeot enthusiast and has 3 type of peugeot....and this one was swapped with XUD9TE....originally 306 in indonesia just have one type of engine : XU7JP)....i bought this car because i need the car that has long MPG....still beautiful by design....and agile in traffic jam
Thanks given by:
I have a 1999 306 sedan XUD9TE but it is in storage in Australia at the moment.
There is quite a bit of information stored on this site, It is quite daunting job to catch up on it all.
It might help to have the engine number/year for future research, but in my limited experioence the ac xud9te use the belt adjuster and spring pictured in (1) It will be a good thing for availability in the future if it is in common with the hdi motors.
You say that is what has been fitted?
Ron
Thanks given by:
As Weka says, looks like you need one or other of the parts from image 1) in your first post, or possibly the second tensioner roller in the belts run.  Depends which part failed.  The tensioner is the spring-like part (5751 81) and the roller that attaches to it is 5751 30. Second roller is 5751 29.

Thanks given by:
5751-29 is quite similar with my tensioner now (one round hole , one square hole) and i just using 1 tensioner now....i know it should be at least 2 tensioners in a car with power steering and AC but now i'm just using one because i have no idea what kind of tensioner i should buy....i think its make my belt squeaking alot (because i just pick any car parts that can make my 306 works temporary....not set the belt yet in proper stock mode as it should) ... even i can hear the squeaking sound from 20metres

and again....thank you very much mate....very appriciate all of your comments....its a big help for me to rebuild this engine

best regards....joseph from indonesia
Thanks given by:
OK, so at the moment you have a short belt fitted so you can bypass the auto adjuster. The big problem with that is that the belt wont be wrapped around the load pulleys as much, and probably no amount of belt tightening would help.
Interesting that it can be done in an emergancy though.
it sound like you /will/ need to know the length/width of the AC belt before you can get the right one.
From memory, the Gates website had extensive listings.

I found the past ebay purchase for my belt and it's description is:
6PK1740

I thought of building a fixed tensioner to replace the noisy auto one, but i'm thinking that the longer AC belt may be more likely to slip with temperature change, not forgetting that we already have the extra load of the AC pump compred to other models.
Does anyone know for sure what has to be removed to replace the AC model auto-adjuster? I recall reading on this forum that it may be model dependant.
Cheers Ron
Thanks given by:
(07-11-2018, 08:16 PM)weka Wrote: OK, so at the moment you have a short belt fitted so you can bypass the auto adjuster. The big problem with that is that the belt wont be wrapped around the load pulleys as much, and probably no amount of belt tightening would help.
Interesting that it can be done in an emergancy though.
it sound like you /will/ need to know the length/width of the AC belt before you can get the right one.
From memory, the Gates website had extensive listings.

I found the past ebay purchase for my belt and it's description is:
6PK1740

I thought of building a fixed tensioner to replace the noisy auto one, but i'm thinking that the longer AC belt may be more likely to slip with temperature  change, not forgetting that we already have the extra load of the AC pump compred to other models.
Does anyone know for sure what has to be removed to replace the AC model auto-adjuster? I recall reading on this forum that it may be model dependant.
Cheers Ron

exactly ron...its not wrapped enough to reduction the squeaking sound....even it still can turn ac and ps ON...that exactly what i thought...

and BIG YES (and big thanks)....6PK1740 <----i'm badly needed this is info....even if...just if...there is nobody sell it in indonesia....there are lot garage in here that can made custom belt from scratch as long as we know the specs of the belt with cheap price....

in your third paragraph....is it means stock tensioners in XUD have tendency to squeaking ? (even in great condition)
Thanks given by:
I know of another person who had a noisy AC model XUD9TE auto tensioner in a Peugeot 406, but can only say that my 306 even though only at 55,000K, was making a plastic cover rumble noise, almost like an induction noise, just above idle rpm, quite noticeable as you drive off, then as the revs climb it goes away. Much different to a bearing noise.
As I said before, I had to tighten the manual adjuster a bit more till it stopped, but the hinge mechanism of these adjusters is a bit suspect, I guess a new one will give no trouble for quite a while.
Ron
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which Aux Belt tensioner??? jcsh 7 3,169 09-04-2019, 09:10 PM
Last Post: weka
  Urgent help needed, belt tensioner aux. Easy Spoonaltap 4 1,947 15-03-2016, 03:03 AM
Last Post: maxaret
  Aux belt tensioner philpemberton94 0 1,054 14-05-2014, 08:26 AM
Last Post: philpemberton94