Back in a Peugeot

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back in a Peugeot
I'm back into the Peugeot owning fold. I murdered the turbo on my Ford F350 and it's gonna cost alot of money to fix so while I save up for parts (and a few bits to mod while it's apart) I've bought myself a Pug as a daily.

It's a Peugeot 206 SW 1.4 HDi bought from Scumtree without having viewed it in person for £550 and amazingly it made it 400 miles home without a hitch although it only did 42mpg sitting at 70mph on the motorway not the manufacturer claimed 75mpg.

It has some faults, everything rattles, the engine only gets to 70*C and some numpty had run the battery earth to a suspension top mount bolt (and nowhere else, I don't know how it even ran). It was 17,500 overdue a service, the boot struts don't hold the boot up and the wipers have scratched the windscreen badly.

Despite the faults though it drives lovely and the split opening tailgate is great. Spent £200 on servicing it with a new thermostat, wipers, gear oil, all the filters, coolant, earth cables and a battery terminal and some other bits besides.

Thanks given by:
looks alright for the monies mate, maybe get bit better mpg now you've serviced her Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
oh wow. I never realised these had a split tailgate. Cant complain at that price. The 1.8 had a scratched windscreen from bad wipers and it was extremely annoying that there wasnt anything i could do apart from replace it.
Thanks given by:
What an animal

Should be cheap running for you there. They're fairly trouble free.

Mine only runs at 70*, interested on how you get on with that one.

Fair drive home with this one, you do like to buy them a few miles away from your place.
Thanks given by:
I know people might hate this stuff but my HDi was getting poor mpgs until I chucked some redex diesel cleaner in it and I started getting 10+ mpg change, I serviced it a tank before so it could be a little bit of both but it definitely made a difference

My dad's got a hatchback and he loves the £30 tax and 60+ mpg he gets out of it
1999 - Black Rallye A/C
2002 - Silver 206 1.4 HDi LX
Thanks given by:
Having changed the stat it now gets to 78-80*C ish and pretty much sits there. Not had a chance to fill it up yet, I'm waiting till the last day of my Tesco 10p/L off voucher to fill up to make the most of that. Still not sure it's doing great on the MPGs as I'm at about 420 miles to 3/4 tank on the gauge which to a whole 11 gallon tank would only work out at about 50mpg. Time will tell.

Mark you are right, it's an absolute animal, specifically a pigeon that's been shot (but not killed). It's so slow. I thought the Ranger on 35s was slow but this takes the piss.

Also since the service it's got a bottom endy sounding tap/knock. It's either engine death or crank pulley. I don't want to investigating which it is.
Thanks given by:
50mpg isn't too terrible, depends a lot on your driving style plus there's been a lot of cold and wet at the moment.

I've got the 1.6tdci in a mk6 fiesta so same engine but bigger displacement, that's doing 52mpg according to the readout on the dash but that's predominantly brisk b-road drivings.

No idea what the gearing is like on these so take the above as a rough reference I guess, but 42mpg sat at 70 sounds very low. Are the injector seals OK? Blow-by past those can make it run a bit rough as well.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Quote:Mark you are right, it's an absolute animal, specifically a pigeon that's been shot (but not killed). It's so slow. I thought the Ranger on 35s was slow but this takes the piss.

Rofl Rofl Rofl Rofl

Quote:Also since the service it's got a bottom endy sounding tap/knock. It's either engine death or crank pulley. I don't want to investigating which it is.

Funny enough, when I serviced my old one years ago the Crank pulley died after a week or so.
Thanks given by:
Had one of these, but in Verve trim. This one looks like the S trim?

Mine was torrid but I’ve run the wife’s Fiesta with the same engine for over 120,000 now and it’s still going strong. I’ve used this for commuting in the past and with brisk(ish) B road commuting I got 59mpg
CLUB RALLYE
||AVO Race GTX Coilovers||Signature Blue Steels||P1 VTS Rack||Hybrid ARB||21mm Torsion Bar||rich_w Flywheel||
Thanks given by:
(30-10-2018, 04:08 PM)RetroPug Wrote: I've got the 1.6tdci in a mk6 fiesta so same engine but bigger displacement, that's doing 52mpg according to the readout on the dash but that's predominantly brisk b-road drivings.

The trouble with the 1.4 is it's too small/underpowered to drag a heavy estate. Very little torque from them as well so they need to be worked hard to maintain speed. I learnt to drive in a 1.4HDi 206 hatch...that was ridiculously slow even as a new driver and without the added estate weight lol!

The 1.6TDCi in my Focus averaged 57mpg over about 30k miles/3.5 years. Half of that was with a 140bhp map so I'm surprised you don't get a bit more from the Fiesta.
Thanks given by:
Sooooooo, it broke down, it's blowing the ECU fuse and I suspect it is the ECU as it doesn't blow with it unplugged. Should be an excuse to buy an ECU off HDi tuning with a map already on and hopefully the extra BHP will stop me needing to give it death to make it move. Need to test a few more bits before laying out the money though.
Thanks given by:
i may be end up coming back to hdis. Sounds like the 1.4 may be one to avoid though :/
Thanks given by:
(03-11-2018, 12:59 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(30-10-2018, 04:08 PM)RetroPug Wrote: I've got the 1.6tdci in a mk6 fiesta so same engine but bigger displacement, that's doing 52mpg according to the readout on the dash but that's predominantly brisk b-road drivings.

The trouble with the 1.4 is it's too small/underpowered to drag a heavy estate.  Very little torque from them as well so they need to be worked hard to maintain speed.  I learnt to drive in a 1.4HDi 206 hatch...that was ridiculously slow even as a new driver and without the added estate weight lol!

The 1.6TDCi in my Focus averaged 57mpg over about 30k miles/3.5 years.  Half of that was with a 140bhp map so I'm surprised you don't get a bit more from the Fiesta.

I used to average 60-70mpg across a tank when I was doing longer commutes. I mainly drive it on very windy backroads very quickly on relatively short trips in cold weather at the moment so the MPG really isn't bad for the driving I do. It's the same kind of driving that'd get you MPG in the teens in a gti6.

(09-11-2018, 11:58 AM)Eeyore Wrote: i may be end up coming back to hdis. Sounds like the 1.4 may be one to avoid though :/

The 1.6 was definitely the one to go for when I did my research- real world MPG very similar but more power and torque. Supposedly it remaps really well well but mine is standard. Purchased on 76k now on 121.5k. I service it every 6-months with low SAPS oil and a filter which is nice and cheap as it's a paper filter and the oil capacity is very low so two 5L bottles does roughly 3 oil changes and decent oil is £22ish for 5L. Most of the cars they come in are pretty cheap parts-wise as well AFAIK. £30 a year tax on most models as well.

It's definitely not fast but there's enough low-down shove to pull out quickly etc. and I'm sure remapping it would really help in a small car like the fiesta or maybe the 206. Injector seals do go but they're not expensive to sort if you do them yourself. Overall mine's been great and the only reason to sell it when I eventually do is my commute is really short now and I want a fast petrol.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
(10-11-2018, 11:30 AM)RetroPug Wrote:

The trouble with the 1.4 is it's too small/underpowered to drag a heavy estate.  Very little torque from them as well so they need to be worked hard to maintain speed.  I learnt to drive in a 1.4HDi 206 hatch...that was ridiculously slow even as a new driver and without the added estate weight lol!

The 1.6TDCi in my Focus averaged 57mpg over about 30k miles/3.5 years.  Half of that was with a 140bhp map so I'm surprised you don't get a bit more from the Fiesta.

I used to average 60-70mpg across a tank when I was doing longer commutes. I mainly drive it on very windy backroads very quickly on relatively short trips in cold weather at the moment so the MPG really isn't bad for the driving I do. It's the same kind of driving that'd get you MPG in the teens in a gti6.

(09-11-2018, 11:58 AM)Eeyore Wrote: i may be end up coming back to hdis. Sounds like the 1.4 may be one to avoid though :/

The 1.6 was definitely the one to go for when I did my research- real world MPG very similar but more power and torque. Supposedly it remaps really well well but mine is standard. Purchased on 76k now on 121.5k. I service it every 6-months with low SAPS oil and a filter which is nice and cheap as it's a paper filter and the oil capacity is very low so two 5L bottles does roughly 3 oil changes and decent oil is £22ish for 5L. Most of the cars they come in are pretty cheap parts-wise as well AFAIK. £30 a year tax on most models as well.

It's definitely not fast but there's enough low-down shove to pull out quickly etc. and I'm sure remapping it would really help in a small car like the fiesta or maybe the 206. Injector seals do go but they're not expensive to sort if you do them yourself. Overall mine's been great and the only reason to sell it when I eventually do is my commute is really short now and I want a fast petrol.

Did you just compare GTi-6 MPG to diesel Fiesta MPG? :p I know what you mean though, I'd remembered about your long commute but didn't realise it'd changed since I was more active on here.

You don't need to use low SAPS oil in the fiesta btw, it's only necessary for DPF equipped cars. Though it won't do any harm of course!

I agree on the 1.6TDCi/HDi being the one to go for, can't really see any benefits to the 1.4 apart from cheap insurance for younger drivers. The later 8v 1.6 is even more reliable as it has none of the oil issues of the older 16v models. Though the 8v's do like to eat injectors!
Thanks given by:
(10-11-2018, 02:41 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(10-11-2018, 11:30 AM)RetroPug Wrote:

Did you just compare GTi-6 MPG to diesel Fiesta MPG? :p  I know what you mean though, I'd remembered about your long commute but didn't realise it'd changed since I was more active on here.

You don't need to use low SAPS oil in the fiesta btw, it's only necessary for DPF equipped cars.  Though it won't do any harm of course!

I agree on the 1.6TDCi/HDi being the one to go for, can't really see any benefits to the 1.4 apart from cheap insurance for younger drivers.  The later 8v 1.6 is even more reliable as it has none of the oil issues of the older 16v models.  Though the 8v's do like to eat injectors!

I probably don't but it's inexpensive and it's good quality TOTAL oil. Ford's own branded oil is also cheap online.

I think my fiesta is late enough to have a revised oil feed to the turbo, I'm pretty sure I looked it up shortly after buying it as I was thinking of getting the later pipe that doesn't block up as easily. Anyway, I change the oil every 6-months and that should stop it gunking up.

Yeah it's been a much shorter commute on back roads for nearly 2 years. It does get used for long trips semi-often though. I've recently just put the biggest bosch s5 that fits in the battery box with well over 700CCA on the car. Way overkill but it deserved it as I think the previous battery was the original 12y old one!

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Split tailgate, pretty much a discovery...

Good. Effort.
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
(10-11-2018, 02:41 PM)Toms306 Wrote:  Though the 8v's do like to eat injectors!

Oh shit, really Sad
Thanks given by:
(15-11-2018, 09:45 PM)DeeTurbo Wrote:
(10-11-2018, 02:41 PM)Toms306 Wrote:  Though the 8v's do like to eat injectors!

Oh shit, really Sad

Yep, Siemens rubbish on the 8v's. Some cars have needed all 4 replaced before 30k! I had at least 2 dodgy ones, possibly 3 at 43k. Like any common fault though, some get away without it! Smile
Thanks given by: