Peugeot 306 HDi Not starting after sitting overnight

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peugeot 306 HDi Not starting after sitting overnight
Y reg Peugeot 306 HDi Meridian, just shy of 90k miles.

Deleted what I had posted previously, as it was all incorrect and I was pointing the finger at starter motor issues when infact it was battery issues.

So, what I'm actually finding is after leaving the car overnight the battery is flat as a pancake, nowhere near enough charge to get her going. However once she does get going, I no longer seem to have troubles the rest of the day.

So next I need to find out if she's just not charging (alternator/charging system) or if the battery is being drained overnight while sat (poor earth?).

If anyone has any suggestions as to a likely culprit I'm happy to hear any ideas. I'm thinking tonight if I disconnect the battery overnight, that'll tell me if its a drain issue or a charging issue? Battery is one of those silvertop bosch ones I've heard many complaints about, plus its probably getting on a bit (must be 5+ years old at this point...) so could possibley be the battery itself failing to keep a charge? Either way, I'm hoping that leaving it disconnected overnight will provide me with some answers.

Cheers Smile
Thanks given by:
I had this exact experience with my hdi - it would sometimes hold charge for a good 4 hours over the day but left overnight it'd be dead the next day. New battery and it's been fine ever since
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
at 5 years old, you've probably had the best out of your battery. (there is probably a cell failing)
buy or borrow a known good battery, then with that connected and the engine running, and using a volt meter, you should see an average of 13.5 - 14.5 volts across the battery terminals.
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
It is sounding like could be a battery issue. Pop to a local garage or halfords etc and they should be able to test the battery for you.
Thanks given by:
Well yesterday I started her up 12 times for journeys of various lengths, started fine each time. Disconnected battery overnight and this morning it *just* had enough charge to start her up, once. So certainly seems like its a dying battery. Still showed 12.4v on the multimeter though which strikes me as odd, but then again I'd think a dying battery could show up all sorts of problems.

Thanks for the help again everyone, I'll head out shortly in search of a new 065 battery. Will post to confirm soloution if that fixes it.
Thanks given by:
12.4v isn't great.  Also, it doesn't tell you how many cranking amps the battery can deliver.... and an HDi needs quite a lot!  A 027 battery is what's specified for the HDi and they generally produce higher CCA (cold cranking amps) than a 065.
Thanks given by:
eurocarparts have got a discount on so use them and get one of the better ones
Thanks given by:
Whoops forgot to reply to this - it was the battery. Drove round the corner to local place and they tested it and confirmed it was dying, bought a new one and everythings sorted now Smile
Thanks given by:
nice one!
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
Yep, a free test is great, but out in the sticks its a different matter.

Engine does not seem to whizz over like it used to, a bit sluggish ?

A good test and rule of thumb numbers, test across the battery terminals with a volt meter and crank engine, if voltage drops very very close to just 10 volts ( like 10.1 volts )  the battery ain't great, below 10 and lower its well past its best.

You will see voltage drop as the starter becomes more sluggish.

computer trouble here so.....

another out in the sticks test for alternator charging ( but not so much on these modern cars as even the alternators are ecu controlled ) is, with engine running and headlights on, shining onto a wall or similar, gently rev the engine and the lights should "grow brighter".......also voltage across the battery increases until regulation takes place, 14.7 volts max.

Bulbs continually blowing and getting black very quickly, also smells like eggs, cells dry and battery getting hot, overcharging.....

cold temps will kill and aging battery, just this time of year.......
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  soaking injector nozzles in white spirits overnight? td163 8 2,402 20-07-2015, 12:15 PM
Last Post: Poodle