GTI-6 acquired

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GTI-6 acquired
Not been on a lot recently but thought I’d update things.

I’ve just bought a Diablo gti6... and I love it! After owning various xud’s and hdi‘s I’ve finally got myself a 6.

It came up on eBay locally and after meeting the owner and viewing the car I couldn’t resist.

1999 in great condition. It does have lacquer peel on the roof and one side and high ish mileage. But has been looked after and owned by a couple for the last 12 years. There are a few other niggles, but nothing I can’t put right.

I’ve been restoring my ph1 xud since 2010 but after recently stripping it I’ve discovered various areas of rust and it just doesn’t seem logical to continue trying to repair it. Even after spending years and god knows how much £ on it!

So this week I will be breaking the xud and selling the Astor hdi as the other half says 3 cars on the drive are too many.

I have a couple of queries about the 6 if anyone is able to shed some light on them?

First there is a noise when running inside the cabin that sounds like a plane is flying over head! I haven’t yet been able to locate exactly what it is; the in tank pump seems to be buzzing/ on constantly while the engine is running but I’m pretty much clueless to most things gti at the moment. Anybody have any suggestions?

Also the temp gauge doesn’t reach 70 during “normal” driving. I’m used to the diesels running at 80ish. Could this be an issue?
Fans are not on constant (which would explain the noise and temperature) so I’m unsure.

It has had the air con removed at some point due to failure. Head gasket has gone in the past and has been rebuilt with a new radiator. Would that relate to the temp/ buzzing noise?

Any views/ advise welcome!

[Image: a4da8eaa7747143fececbb03ba558870.jpg]

[Image: ad44f41c11bf9104739a7ad10c21ce58.jpg]

[Image: 10ac9089cdf6ae1709555eefc46771b0.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
Congratulations on your purchase!

The fuel pump on XSi's is pretty much silent when running.  I can only hear mine very faintly when it's priming with the ignition turned to 2nd position (before starting) and often don't hear it at all.  It's a relatively new pump though (set inside the original sender unit).  If yours is making buzzing loudly there could be a problem with it.  I presume you lifted the drivers side back seat to have a listen?

Everything in the cabin should be pretty familiar to you from the diesels.  If it's not the fuel pump are you certain it isn't originating from under the bonnet?

My XSi runs a bit on the cool side and have a suspicion it's the cheap(ish) thermostat that's fitted opens earlier than it should.  (They're meant to be open at 83 degrees but I'm not sure if that's starting to open or fully open at that temp).  Rich running is another possible cause of cool running.
Thanks given by:
Cheers!
Yea can’t say for sure the noise is the lift pump but there is definitely a noise coming from it continuously. I wasn’t sure if the petrol shared the same design as the diesels. I can hear it priming on ignition turn (same as the diesels) but then when it’s running there is something coming from under the seat. I haven’t lifted the bung out yet to investigate.
Also rain has prevented a proper inspection of the car as yet.

Yep after some research I will be replacing the thermostat to see if that will make the engine run at the temp I expected.

Like I say I know the general body/parts of a 306 very well but the tu engines are new to me.

Photos don’t seem to be working. I know there was an issue with photobucket a while ago and older pics are now inaccessible but not sure why I can’t see my uploaded pics sent from a phone?
Thanks given by:
I can see the pics and the car looks good!

The in-tank fuel pump on the petrol models is the only source of pressure to the fuel rail so I guess has to work quite hard sometimes.  It's important not to run the tank low on fuel on a regular basis as the fuel keeps the pump cool and that extends its life.

Something that might make the pump work very hard and noisy is an old, partially clogged fuel filter.  I'm not sure where they sit on the diesels but on the XU petrols it sits just forward of the rear drivers side wheel.
Thanks given by:
70deg is to low should be up over 83deg - is the rad getting warm all over I’d suspect someone’s removed the stat but should still get up there - how long have you driven it for? It should get to optimum running temp fairly quickly hence the reason for the thermostat.

you shouldn’t hear the standard pump over the engine so would suspect if you can I’d be replacing it as most likely on the way out.
Thanks given by:
Yeah as others have said gti6 engines warm up quite quickly and not even 70deg is way too low, particularly as it isn't cold at the moment.

Nice car, reminds me of my old one.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
The noise is definitely a buzz/hum coming from the pump under the back seat. May get a chance to look tomorrow. Apparently has sounded like that for a few years but hasn’t caused running issues.

Will take a look at the stat/ sensors for the temp issue; which has been like that since a h/g failure and radiator replacement. Will rise to 80 if sat in traffic. But 2 days driving and I haven’t seen it above 70 yet...

Thanks for the input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Today I saw this and acquired this vlj 19 4,653 28-12-2012, 06:14 PM
Last Post: Niall