Get out of fifth!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Get out of fifth!
Ok cars been on the road about a week now and teething problems are starting to emerge.

Finding the car cycles up gears lovley but can be an absolute tool to get out of 4th and 5th rolling. Gear stick appears to have a fairly large element of play but still selects gear no problem. Double clutching sometimes allows me to be able to pull out of 5th. Problem dosnt seem to be present without the engine running.

Spec is as follows:
Stock flywheel
Helix 4 paddle solid friction plate
Luk pressure plate
Luk thrust bearing
New fork bushes
New clutch cable
Baker bm metal links (old)
Quick shift
2l fresh oil

Quick inspection tonight led to me finding one of the baker bm links to be pretty worn. Smallest 6mm ball joint one which attatches to this arm
[Image: db695c04101feec8d7a0079eff192e7f.jpg]

What type of things should i be looking for that could cause this issue?

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk
Still Living For The 306  Rofl

306 Ph1 Dturbo Estate
205 1.9 GTI (Rust.In.Pieces)
306 HDI Stage 3 Estate (Rust.In.Pieces)
Thanks given by:
Cheers for the help guys [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

306 Ph1 Dturbo Estate
Thanks given by:
Threads don't see much action these days man, i wouldn't take it personally.
I can't help with your problem though I'm afraid.
                                             [Image: 2ljm03k.jpg]

I Don't Have A 306.
Thanks given by:
(06-09-2018, 09:21 AM)Danny Wideboy Wrote: Threads don't see much action these days man, i wouldn't take it personally.
Aint that the truth, forum seems to slowly be dying. Just doing basic checks like ive been adviced by a friend, linkages and now about to check oil level

306 Ph1 Dturbo Estate
Thanks given by:
Are the rods adjustable?
Thanks given by:
(06-09-2018, 11:46 AM)Uberderv Wrote: Are the rods adjustable?
Yeah found a couple of the ends were loose so fear ive lost the correct lentgh of them.

Just drained and refilled the box oil worryingly only 1 3/4ltr came out. Not the biggest loss but coupd cause some issue?
Refilled again with another fresh 2ltr.

Guy at mpd suggested clutch drag if the self adjusting cable hasnt sorted itself?

306 Ph1 Dturbo Estate
Thanks given by:
What happens if you select 4th/5th with the clutch fully down while idling? If it's clutch drag the engine should try to pull you forward.

All gears are usually affected though, had a dragging clutch on my GTi6, it got to the point where it was pulling me onto a roundabout in 1st with the clutch down, I tried to wrench it out of gear and broke the linkage so it was stuck in first pulling forward, just had to switch off to avoid an accident. That wasn't a fun journey. lol
Thanks given by:
(06-09-2018, 12:22 PM)Toms306 Wrote: What happens if you select 4th/5th with the clutch fully down while idling? If it's clutch drag the engine should try to pull you forward.

All gears are usually affected though, had a dragging clutch on my GTi6, it got to the point where it was pulling me onto a roundabout in 1st with the clutch down, I tried to wrench it out of gear and broke the linkage so it was stuck in first pulling forward, just had to switch off to avoid an accident. That wasn't a fun journey. [emoji38]
Nout, engine off fine, engine idle fine, going up gears lovley, deceleration coming out of 5th or 4th it puts up a fight. No grinding gears etc

306 Ph1 Dturbo Estate
Thanks given by:
could it be a torque reaction?
when accelerating torque pushes on the gear set in one direction, then when decelerating the torque coming back from the wheels pushes the other way. (helical gears/thrust washers)
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
(06-09-2018, 05:21 PM)Magenta Sunset Wrote: could it be a torque reaction?
when accelerating torque pushes on the gear set in one direction, then when decelerating the torque coming back from the wheels pushes the other way. (helical gears/thrust washers)
Ive 100% no idea on that one

306 Ph1 Dturbo Estate
Thanks given by:
What quick shift is it?
Thanks given by:
(06-09-2018, 06:40 PM)luke306rallye Wrote: What quick shift is it?
Tbh can't remember. Feels abit worn now

If linkages etc are suspect i could be better off replacing the whole setup back to oem.

The adjustable rods potentially have lost there original lentgh and are worn.

The selector on the subframe was modded and lowered on the guide tube for the gt2052s that seems to have worn that (did attempt to space back up to original spec height after finding it was so low it hit the box)

Actual knuckle for the gear lever seems to have play.

Did notice on the way home after mot (she passed!) that while in 5th if you clutch it and lean the stick right you lose the h pattern and can only get back to 5th after doing it

306 Ph1 Dturbo Estate
Thanks given by:
(06-09-2018, 09:21 AM)Danny Wideboy Wrote: Threads don't see much action these days man, i wouldn't take it personally.

In the same way that video killed the radio star (if you believe The Buggles), then Facebook killed the Internet forum....

Someone/something else also killed the quote functionality but no one cares about this place anymore!!!!
Cherry Red Rallye - Full on OEM resto.....
Thanks given by:
On a "normal " system, when the clutch is pressed down the engine is disconnected from the gearbox, meaning hassle free gearchange, apart from any synchro problems or clutch dragging.....

with the front wheels up in the air, retry, any difference ?

What system is your "quickshift" system ?? does the initial gear stick movement disengage the clutch ??

Any unwanted / undesigned or excessive "free play" in the selection system, be they rods, cables or internals, will not help matters......even a loose or moving bolt on "plate or bracket"......

I am not too familiar with this car or box, still considering myself to be a "tyro".....
Thanks given by:
4 & 5th are on different Hub's, Worth checking the ball on the subframe quadrant as well, known to fall apart, I have known the selector forks to fail but you cannot select anything when that happens
Overall Road Going Production Class Winner at BARC Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb 2012, 2013 & 2014 With a class record along the way (For a while), Taking 2nd place will be Ian Redding's 306 GTi
2016 Castle Combe GT championship class winner
Thanks given by:
I'd say your problem is in the linkages or the ball as Miles suggests, what you say about it "falling out of the H" sounds like it's going beyond its normal operating range and getting stuck.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Cheers,

Are the lengths actually out there for stock linkages? Think i need to reset them all to a datum point and go from there again

306 Ph1 Dturbo Estate
Thanks given by: