Parts question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parts question
Hey guys! So ordering bits for the 6, got seats.. trying to fit some decent harnesses and still need suspension and an axle. Anyone point me in the right direction? I’ve looked on so many websites now it’s driving me insane haha Thankyou Smile
Free hangover cures!
Thanks given by:
Suspension ... Bilstein dampers with eibach springs.
Axle... Talk to Stef.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I’ve got a complete gti6 beam with 21mm tbs that I built just over a year ago complete with calipers £350
90' 205 gti6 supercharged
05' Evo 9 IX GT

Team eaton.

Axle rebuilds please contact me for your needs.

https://www.facebook.com/axlesbystef/
Thanks given by:
(30-04-2018, 10:44 PM)Stef205 Wrote: I’ve got a complete gti6 beam with 21mm tbs that I built just over a year ago complete with calipers £350

Just aBit out of my price range haha
Free hangover cures!
Thanks given by:
(01-05-2018, 08:30 AM)Sian Wrote:
(30-04-2018, 10:44 PM)Stef205 Wrote: I’ve got a complete gti6 beam with 21mm tbs that I built just over a year ago complete with calipers £350

may i be one to say, maybe you need to save some more pennies as that is a good price for a rebuilt good beam

if you want an unguaranteed std beam removed from a "6" 2 year ago, no callipers and rusty backplates i have one for £175

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:

I'll second what Cully has said. £350 is a very good price for a quality rebuilt beam. Spend less than that n you could end up with something that'll need a rebuild sooner than you'd like.
Thanks given by:
(01-05-2018, 09:10 AM)cully Wrote:

may i be one to say, maybe you need to save some more pennies as that is a good price for a rebuilt good beam

if you want an unguaranteed std beam removed from a "6" 2 year ago, no callipers and rusty backplates i have one for £175

There’s one on imaxles for £175 but have to give them my old one which is a pain in the ass as it’s parked on grass currently hahahaha.

I may well get one of of you stef Smile possibly next month need another payday ahhahaa
Free hangover cures!
Thanks given by:
Yes but for £175...
It will be
1) crap
2) fall apart in a year
3) crap
4) not built by Stef
5) not come with calipers
6) have to exchange
7) crap
8) not come with an ARB
9) not come with 21mm TBS
10) did I mention it would be crap?

...considering....
Pair of calipers would be £40-50
21mm TBs £100-125
Imcrapatmakingaxles axle £175.
So that's £300+
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(02-05-2018, 09:25 PM)Piggy Wrote: Yes but for £175...
It will be
1) crap
2) fall apart in a year
3) crap
4) not built by Stef
6) have to exchange
7) crap
8) not come with an ARB

...considering....
21mm TBs £100-125
So that's £300+
1. Calm the f down and chill mate seriously 
2. I already have Calipers.
3. I was asking for suggestions.... there’s many websites and many options I’ve browsed.
4. Mine isn’t all that bad anyway, I was looking for possibly something to replace it. POSSIBLY!!
5. I’m not gonna blow £300 on a second hand axle. When there’s other options. Just saying.
Free hangover cures!
Thanks given by:
I am calm... but thanks for the chill pill, I'll save it for the next time I'm working on the lemon...

Take out the calipers then...even though you could sell them to offset the cost...but ignore them if you wish...

21mm TBs are at least £100. Add on £175 for imaxles axle... And you have £275. Plus you need to take yours off to send them... Which you could sell for £100 after you get Stefs axle... Which, I realise is a "second hand" beam... But it would be 10x better than any new Imaxles scrap pile.

(Then if you don't discount the calipers... That's £40-50 to sell for too if they are in good condition)

I bought a tube ready rebuilt from Germany couple years back with idea to build my own (video out soon) ...with loads of help from Stef which I am indebted to him for... I built my own with parts again from Stef I needed, 21mm bars I sourced myself etc...

It cost me more than £350.... Without hours and hours of my time factored it... Plus... It still won't be as good as a stef axle ...  Nospeak
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(02-05-2018, 11:35 PM)Sian Wrote:
(02-05-2018, 09:25 PM)Piggy Wrote: Yes but for £175...
It will be
1) crap
2) fall apart in a year
3) crap
4) not built by Stef
6) have to exchange
7) crap
8) not come with an ARB

...considering....
21mm TBs £100-125
So that's £300+
1. Calm the f down and chill mate seriously 
2. I already have Calipers.
3. I was asking for suggestions.... there’s many websites and many options I’ve browsed.
4. Mine isn’t all that bad anyway, I was looking for possibly something to replace it. POSSIBLY!!
5. I’m not gonna blow £300 on a second hand axle. When there’s other options. Just saying.

Piggy has a point and he's only trying to stop you from wasting ~£300 buying and then sorting out an IM Axles axle when you could buy a decent one from stef.

I've only ever seen bad things about IM Axles floating round the internet

I bought a Xsara VTS beam with 21mm torsion bars + Baker BM solid mounts + Paint + All the time and hassle cleaning it and fitting cost me way more than the £350 you'd spend buying that from stef

Quote:5. I’m not gonna blow £300 on a second hand axle. When there’s other options. Just saying.

Once he's finished with it it's closer to a new beam than a second hand beam anyways

The other options will cost you more in the long run when you ultimately have to buy more than one axle

I've had a blunt welsh pug giving me advice before and its annoying as billio but he was right and I listened
1999 - Black Rallye A/C
2002 - Silver 206 1.4 HDi LX
Thanks given by:
Sian, I honestly think Piggy was trying to do you a favour by steering you away from IMaxles.  You were asking for suggestions on where to get a beam and everyone, including me, is pointing you towards Stef.  I've not had a rebuilt beam from him but he's supplied me with some parts when I rebuilt my beam.  (He's a top bloke btw).  When I rebuilt my beam
it came to close to £300, and like Piggy & Wainwright, that's without factoring in labour.

That's one reason everyone questions why IMaxles are so cheap.  Also, quite a number of people on various forums have taken IM beams apart after just a year or two of use and they're already starting to fail.  Of course, the price is massively attractive if you're on a tight budget.  If your aim was just to get another year out of a car that's ear the end of its life then IM has a place in the mix for lots of people.  If you have any intention of keeping the car longer term & want to get on track with it then it's almost certainly going to be a false economy.

Seconding what's already been said, Stef's beam will be 'like new', reconditioned to very high standards and should last many years.  (Don't confuse it with the one Cully offered you).

You mentioned that your axle isn't that bad.  If you don't know the history of it (when it was rebuilt & by who) and you haven't stripped it down then it's very difficult to know what state it's in.  The time can be very short between them looking fine and the outer bearings shredding themselves so you get excessive camber.

Just a heads-up on other potential costs.  It's worth checking with Stef if the recon'd beam he's got has abs sensors & hubs fitted too.  If it does it really is an excellent bargain.  You'll struggle to reuse the old hubs/bearings from your old beam no matter what option you go for.  ABS sensors will almost certainly be seized in to the caliper bracket by corrosion.
Thanks given by:
That's a good point made there... Imaxles won't come with hubs and ABS sensors... So that's another £75-100.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I never said I was definetly buying an axle from imaxle guys ffs. I merely said to Paul the cost and what the description said.

A very good friend of mine done my current axle so I know where it came from and the parts used etc..
Free hangover cures!
Thanks given by:
defintely get a stef axle and not an unknown one!

I got my harnesses from demon tweeks. Be careful of fakes!
Thanks given by:
(03-05-2018, 10:24 AM)Piggy Wrote: That's a good point made there... Imaxles won't come with hubs and ABS sensors... So that's another £75-100.

lmao I will sell you a snickers bar but iv eaten the nuts and licked off the chocolate Tongue

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by: