XSi newbie

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
XSi newbie
Hi,

I've just picked up a 1998 306 XSi in need of a little bit of TLC, which I'm planning to use for trials and autotests.

[Image: KXUKfx0j.jpg?0409]

The car was owned by a friend of mine, but it's stood for a while. He reckons it's survived without any ill effects - brakes don't appear to have seized or anything like that - but it hasn't had any work done in a while. My plan is to drive the car back at the weekend and then do a precautionary cambelt change.

I've owned a couple of other Peugeots before, but this is the first 306. If I'm honest, I don't know a great deal about them. 

The V5 has it down as a 1998 306 XSi of 1,998cc. Am I right in thinking that makes it the 16-valve model? Is there a model code or anything I need to know for that engine to order a timing belt kit? Any tips from anyone who's done the job much appreciated - this is going to be my first DIY cambelt change!

Cheers,

Chris
Thanks given by:
Hi Chris. Welcome along to the club. Nice to have another member on here with an XSi ...it's an under-appreciated car in my opinion! I have to say that 'cos I have 3, although only one is on the road at the moment.

The XSi's changed over from an 8v to a 16v engine in early 1997 so yours will be 16v. It will have an XU10J4R engine (not to be confused with the more powerful J4RS). That engine also has 'RFV' as a designation.

I'll post some stuff on your other thread about the cam belt.

You're not in North Somerset by any chance are you?
Thanks given by: Chris71
(09-04-2018, 01:22 PM)Mighty306 Wrote: Hi Chris. Welcome along to the club. Nice to have another member on here with an XSi ...it's an under-appreciated car in my opinion! I have to say that 'cos I have 3, although only one is on the road at the moment.

The XSi's changed over from an 8v to a 16v engine in early 1997 so yours will be 16v. It will have an XU10J4R engine (not to be confused with the more powerful J4RS). That engine also has 'RFV' as a designation.

I'll post some stuff on your other thread about the cam belt.

You're not in North Somerset by any chance are you?

Hi. Nope, south western tip of Somerset near Chard.

Out of interest, how different is that engine to the GTI-6/Rallye unit, is there anything to be gained by simple bolt-on mods?
Thanks given by:
(09-04-2018, 04:07 PM)Chris71 Wrote: [quote pid='621352' dateline='1523280179']
Out of interest, how different is that engine to the GTI-6/Rallye unit, is there anything to be gained by simple bolt-on mods?

[/quote]

They're quite different Chris.  The main ones are:

>Cylinder head (valve sizes not the same between the two)
>Cam (higher lift in GTi)
>Double valve springs in GTi
>Pistons (no dish = higher compression ratio in GTi)
>Inlet & exhaust manifolds
>Fuel injectors
>Engine Management
>The GTi revs to 7.5k. (The XSi revs to 6.5k max.  There isn't in fact that much difference in torque between the two engines but the XSi develops it's torque at lower revs & starts to run out of puff at about 5.5k).
>6-speed gearbox

There aren't really any 'simple' bolt-on to gain power on the 16v XSi - the Bosch MP5.2 ECU fitted won't handle many changes beyond standard.  Some say fitting the inlet & exhaust manifolds from the GTi make the car feel better but the exhaust manifold is a pig to fit with the engine still in place and I think you then have to use a GTi cat too.

The cheapest performance upgrade you can make to the XSi is probably to put it on a diet!
Thanks given by: Chris71
(09-04-2018, 08:09 PM)Mighty306 Wrote:
(09-04-2018, 04:07 PM)Chris71 Wrote: [quote pid='621352' dateline='1523280179']

The cheapest performance upgrade you can make to the XSi is probably to put it on a diet!
[/quote]

Did wonder about fitting an air con delete kit when I do the cambelt, but it sounds like it's a fairly modest saving. Edit: Although the friend I'm buying it off has just said that he's saved me a few quid there as it's non-AC!

Torque lower down the rev range suits me. The plan is to use it for autotests and production car trials, so much as I love high revving screamers this one is all about the torque.
Thanks given by: